U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2013, 04:11 PM
 
1,682 posts, read 2,630,093 times
Reputation: 708

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
The Bronx is ratchet, no way around this.

Every NYC borough has a purpose:

Manhattan= Job center and upper class housing
Staten Island= Middle class suburbs
Bronx= Low class housing
Queens= Multipurpose
Brooklyn= Working class housing

Of course there are some exceptions to this but this is generally how it things are and were for a long time.
Absolutely incorrect. Generalization and information like this severely discredits this message board.

Every borough in NYC contains a economic diversity of neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I would say that the Bronx is mainly Poor to Working Poor

The MEDIAN household income of the Bronx is $34,744 which *essentially* means that AT LEAST half of the Bronx is poor. 28.5% of Bronx families OFFICIALLY live under the poverty line but then you have to factor in the large working poor of the Bronx and then it paints a clearer picture. For those that don't know, the "Working Poor" are those who barely are above the poverty line but not enough to have anything resembling financial stability; these people are ON THE EDGE. Most working single mother-ran households fall under this category.

How do you define "middle class"?

- Many people would agree that a family in the NYC area would need a household income to be considered:
- Middle class is at least $75k
- Working class is $50k-75k.
- Working poor is 31k-50k.
- The poverty line for a family in NYC is 31k so under 31k is straight up poor.

Bronx socieconomic data- Bronx County (Bronx Borough) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Poverty line data- http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/22/ny...erty.html?_r=0
The Bronx, like the rest of NYC has significant income disparities. What that means is that the wealthy are often very much so, while the poor are very poor. Most Bronxites are working and relatively comfortable. Some areas have very high income earners. In fact, you can find high income households throughout the borough, although sometimes in small numbers. Other areas are predominantly high poverty.

This is so silly. I hope anyone that reads these post are intelligent enough to dismiss this kind of nonsense. A borough of almost 1.5 million..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2013, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,896,420 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Absolutely incorrect. Generalization and information like this severely discredits this message board.

Every borough in NYC contains a economic diversity of neighborhoods.



The Bronx, like the rest of NYC has significant income disparities. What that means is that the wealthy are often very much so, while the poor are very poor. Most Bronxites are working and relatively comfortable. Some areas have very high income earners. In fact, you can find high income households throughout the borough, although sometimes in small numbers. Other areas are predominantly high poverty.

This is so silly. I hope anyone that reads these post are intelligent enough to dismiss this kind of nonsense. A borough of almost 1.5 million..
What's so silly? That someone is finally telling the truth about the Bronx instead of acting like it's this utopia where there are no poor and unemployed people when there are hoards of them? Also, where did you get the idea that Bronxites are relatively "comfortable"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2013, 04:19 PM
 
Location: The state of NY
59 posts, read 40,171 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
$34,744 for a family??? Mercy. I think I almost made that one year while I was a college student (about $31,000 or so), working part of the year and finishing my BA.
What did you do while you were in college
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2013, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,896,420 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.NewYorker View Post
What did you do while you were in college
I had several jobs while in college and also worked several jobs during my breaks from school as well. I always had pocket money to get what I wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2013, 04:22 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,839,277 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
The Bronx is ratchet, no way around this.

Every NYC borough has a purpose:

Manhattan= Job center and upper class housing
Staten Island= Middle class suburbs
Bronx= Low class housing
Queens= Multipurpose
Brooklyn= Working class housing

Of course there are some exceptions to this but this is generally how it things are and were for a long time.
This is simply not correct.
You should not post after doing "research."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2013, 04:29 PM
 
530 posts, read 1,016,817 times
Reputation: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
This is simply not correct.
You should not post after doing "research."
This is all generally true.

According to your username, you are from Harlem. Upper Manhattan used to be upper class housing before most units were subdivided into smaller units for the less affluent. Slowly but surely the lower classes are being pushed out and it's regaining it's purpose as an upper class location.

Lower Manhattan did have some tenements and slums but for the most part they have long been demolished and replaced (UES) is an exception as well as the NYCHA scattered throughout the boroughs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2013, 04:32 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,839,277 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
This is all generally true.

According to your username, you are from Harlem. Upper Manhattan used to be upper class housing before most units were subdivided into smaller units for the less affluent. Slowly but surely the lower classes are being pushed out and it's regaining it's purpose as an upper class location.

Lower Manhattan did have some tenements and slums but for the most part they have long been demolished and replaced (UES) is an exception as well as the NYCHA scattered throughout the boroughs
Wow !!!!
You must be really really smart. Thanks for all the really really cool info.
Yeah.

Another armchair New Yorker. Wonder where this one lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2013, 04:35 PM
 
530 posts, read 1,016,817 times
Reputation: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.NewYorker View Post
What did you do while you were in college
I would say making those figures are not that rare for college students though it definitely is good. I just graduated with my Bachelors and when I worked between semesters, my full-time pay rate was like this:

Summer Break Year 1-2: $10.50 an hour (~22k a year)
Summer Break Year 2-3: $13.50 an hour (~28k a year)
Summer Break Year 3-4: $15.00 an hour (~32k a year)

But likely we both have good connections that could give us a bit of an edge compared to the rest of the job market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2013, 04:37 PM
 
530 posts, read 1,016,817 times
Reputation: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Wow !!!!
You must be really really smart. Thanks for all the really really cool info.
Yeah.

Another armchair New Yorker. Wonder where this one lives.
History and books are your friend.

Nassau side of Nassau-Queens border (born&raised)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2013, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Riverdale, New York
1,283 posts, read 1,896,420 times
Reputation: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I would say making those figures are not that rare for college students though it definitely is good. I just graduated with my Bachelors and when I worked between semesters, my full-time pay rate was like this:

Summer Break Year 1-2: $10.50 an hour (~22k a year)
Summer Break Year 2-3: $13.50 an hour (~28k a year)
Summer Break Year 3-4: $15.00 an hour (~32k a year)

But likely we both have good connections that could give us a bit of an edge compared to the rest of the job market.
That would be correct. I just had to place a few phone calls once the semester was over and I could start up working at my usual locations once the semester was over. During the semester I had a few jobs and worked at the same places each semester since I knew who to speak to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top