U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 07:53 AM

7 posts, read 7,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
HA! And what leads you to believe that fallacy?? I find it rather amusing that you think it's a positive that the borough has the highest level of "affordable housing", most of which are housing projects. It's this type of mentality that Bronxites have that explains why the borough is so beset with decay and high unemployment.
Now I feel like crap, now living in housing projects...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 09:13 AM

530 posts, read 1,018,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie365 View Post
Now I feel like crap, now living in housing projects...
There's nothing wrong with that if it's a temporary living situation.

I would just strongly recommend trying to get out as soon as possible to avoid falling into the trap of dependence and generational poverty. It's a really toxic environment..

If you have kids then they are also much more at risk for a lot of things while in that environment.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
There's nothing wrong with that if it's a temporary living situation.

I would just strongly recommend trying to get out as soon as possible to avoid falling into the trap of dependence and generational poverty. It's a really toxic environment..

If you have kids then they are also much more at risk for a lot of things while in that environment.

Well i'm16 and I've lived here since I was eight.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:05 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
And to be within a short walk to and from the rest of the Bronx, which is within a much closer proximity than Manhattan.
Um not really. I can drive over the Hudson Bridge and be in Manhattan faster than I can be in the Bronx. We're only separated from Manhattan by the Spuyten Duyvil Creek. Geography 101.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Um not really. I can drive over the Hudson Bridge and be in Manhattan faster than I can be in the Bronx. We're only separated from Manhattan by the Spuyten Duyvil Creek. Geography 101.
Yes separated, but Riverdale isn't separate from the Bronx -_- I'm from there

Old 08-14-2013, 03:06 PM

1,283 posts, read 1,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie365 View Post
Yes separated, but Riverdale isn't separate from the Bronx -_- I'm from there
It might as well be on another planet.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
It might as well be on another planet.
Just accept it, Riverdale is part of the Bronx.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:08 AM
DAS

2,530 posts, read 5,833,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
The Bronx is ratchet, no way around this.

Every NYC borough has a purpose:

Manhattan= Job center and upper class housing
Staten Island= Middle class suburbs
Bronx= Low class housing
Queens= Multipurpose
Brooklyn= Working class housing

Of course there are some exceptions to this but this is generally how it things are and were for a long time.
This is basically it. The Bronx is not a dumping ground for the poor, but it has always offered the lowest priced housing of all the boroughs. This is not a bad thing. Historically it is a place where many immigrants and poor native NYers, and transplants get their start.

Many transplants that are categorized as gentrifiers just because of their skin color are discovering the low cost housing in the Bronx. Most of these people are not gentrifiers and they have little money. But they may see an area differently than the longtermers.

They will look at apt and room size. Transportation especially a subway station nearby. Proximity to basic shopping needs like a supermarket, pharmacy and a hardware store. Also medical care available in the area.

With apt rents in the Bronx going for well over $1000 for the smallest apts I wouldn't call it a dumping ground for the poor. The Bronx has some of the few areas in the city where a working person can become a home owner.

BTW Riverdale was always considered an upper class part of the Bronx. It was always referred to as Riverdale and not the Bronx because it is so different from the rest of the Bronx. This is also not a bad thing. Every boro has a section like this. Consider it a place where a person can live that "made it", but wants to stay in their home boro.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:20 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,906,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
BTW Riverdale was always considered an upper class part of the Bronx. It was always referred to as Riverdale and not the Bronx because it is so different from the rest of the Bronx. This is also not a bad thing. Every boro has a section like this. Consider it a place where a person can live that "made it", but wants to stay in their home boro.
I've said this once before and I'll say it again: Riverdale is the Hollywood Hills of NYC.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:11 PM

I feel like crying, I don't know why but that just really hurt me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or