Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 07:36 AM

59 posts, read 53,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Really? What parts of the Bronx are becoming trendy? LOL! I'm laughing just thinking about it.
If you really live in Riverdale I don't understand why you would criticize the borough considering your a Northern Bronx resident! Why live here if you are going to give negative critique
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 07:43 AM

530 posts, read 1,355,829 times
The Bronx is ratchet, no way around this.

Every NYC borough has a purpose:

Manhattan= Job center and upper class housing
Staten Island= Middle class suburbs
Bronx= Low class housing
Queens= Multipurpose
Brooklyn= Working class housing

Of course there are some exceptions to this but this is generally how it things are and were for a long time.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:33 AM

190 posts, read 189,940 times
the bronx is not the only dumping ground look at all the immigrants that were brought here

Old 08-09-2013, 10:16 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,299,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.NewYorker View Post
By the way Riverdale is technically the BRONX
HA! Keep dreaming. Technically is one thing, but Bronxites know that we really don't associate with the Bronx in any way, shape or form.

Quote:
lol I am but most people in Riverdale like to act like they don't reside in The Bronx when Riverdale is in the Northern BRONX.
Let's see...

Riverdale=Upper middle class neighborhood
Bronx=Poor; some of the poorest neighborhoods in US

Riverdale=Low unemployment
Bronx=Highest unemployment of all five boroughs

Riverdale=Some of the lowest crime rates in all of NYC
Bronx=High crime rate

I could go on but there's a clear pattern here. The Bronx is the complete opposite of Riverdale and it's understandable why we in Riverdale don't want to be associated with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Is riverdale a dumping ground for the rich that can't afford estates in westchester? Or do rich people prefer riverdale vs the wealthy sections of westchester?
We have the most mansions in all of New York City and they all go for MILLIONS, so surely we could afford to live in Westchester if we so chose to. It's more about Riverdale's proximity to Manhattan and wanting a mix of city life nearby but also wanting a suburban more tranquil setting. Riverdale offers both and is unique in that regard.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
HA! Keep dreaming. Technically is one thing, but Bronxites know that we really don't associate with the Bronx in any way, shape or form.

Let's see...

Bronx=High crime rate

I could go on but there's a clear pattern here. The Bronx is the complete opposite of Riverdale and it's understandable why we in Riverdale don't want to be associated with it.

We have the most mansions in all of New York City and they all go for MILLIONS, so surely we could afford to live in Westchester if we so chose to. It's more about Riverdale's proximity to Manhattan and wanting a mix or city life nearby but also wanting a suburban more tranquil setting. Riverdale offers both and is unique in that regard.
I think the term "mansions" is pushing it...I would say riverdale is more made up of larger to medium sized houses. They are nicely kept though

Realtors put a square footage requirement on what is and what isn't a "mansion".

Old 08-09-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I think the term "mansions" is pushing it...I would say riverdale is more made up of larger to medium sized houses. They are nicely kept though

Realtors put a square footage requirement on what is and what isn't a "mansion".
Hmm... I wonder what all of those houses in Fieldston are then selling for millions of dollars? What about this one?

Riverdale's Priciest Mansion Now Asking $13.975 Million - On the Market - Curbed NY

I guess it's just a $15 million dollar hole in the wall.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:31 AM

59 posts, read 53,839 times
Quote:

Let's see...

Bronx=High crime rate

We have the most mansions in all of New York City and they all go for MILLIONS, so surely we could afford to live in Westchester if we so chose to. It's more about Riverdale's proximity to Manhattan and wanting a mix of city life nearby but also wanting a suburban more tranquil setting. Riverdale offers both and is unique in that regard.
No matter how rich you are your still a Bronx resident. We are both North Bronx residents! As if NO crimes happen in Riverdale. There is some crime everywhere, you probably just don't see it. And by the way there is nothing wrong with a ''poor'' neighborhood . I live NEAR Riverdale and it's not that bad. Yes the Bronx has high crime rate and your area is part of this borough.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:34 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,740,205 times
Quote:
Hmm... I wonder what all of those houses in Fieldston are then selling for millions of dollars? What about this one?

Riverdale's Priciest Mansion Now Asking $13.975 Million - On the Market - Curbed NY

I guess it's just a $15 million dollar hole in the wall.
And that type of home in Riverdale is an outlier- it's not the norm for the community.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
And that type of home in Riverdale is an outlier- it's not the norm for the community.
I agree, Grosvenor himself even called it an "upper middle class community" instead of an Upper Class community where mansions like in the article would be common. The upper middle class generally don't live in mansions.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
No matter how rich you are your still a Bronx resident. We are both North Bronx residents! As if NO crimes happen in Riverdale. There is some crime everywhere, you probably just don't see it. And by the way there is nothing wrong with a ''poor'' neighborhood . I live NEAR Riverdale and it's not that bad. Yes the Bronx has high crime rate and your area is part of this borough.
Well of course Riverdale has crime and guess where just about all of it comes from? Hooligans from down the hill in the Bronx that come up the hill looking to steal our cars, rob our residents or cause other problems. All I have to look at are the smashed out car windows I've seen of late and the young Korean male who was killed by some thug from down the hill in the Bronx for an iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I agree, Grosvenor himself even called it an "upper middle class community" instead of an Upper Class community where mansions like in the article would be common. The upper middle class generally don't live in mansions.
Fieldston is an upper middle class community with plenty of mansions and Riverdale doesn't fit the bill for a lot of things, so you can't go off of the "norm".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City