U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 09:41 AM

51,289 posts, read 50,539,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Agreed. NJ and PA water is disgusting. NYC water is delicious. The only problem is the rust in the water.

I always filtered my water through one of those Brita dispensers. I would have to clean out the dispenser after a few weeks of use due to the rust buildup. Did anyone else notice the nasty orange/brown buildup on the water filter? Some days the water would just come out of my faucets brown. I remember a time when I wanted to take a bath and let the water run for a few minutes. When I went to check on the water level I noticed that my tub was filled half way with brown water. Gross.

If you live in the city make sure you filter your water before you drink it.
That's sort of an ignorant statement, isn't it? NJ and PA get their water from so many different sources depending upon where you are that you can't possibly cover them all with one blanket statement. Where I grew up in NW Bergen County, the water was GREAT--artesian well water, very tasty. Where I live now, near the shore, it's not good at all. Has sort of a musty taste. Comes from local reservoirs. My sister lives in PA, in the Poconos, and her water comes from a spring on the property. It's the best water I've ever tasted. No one with half a taste bud could taste that water and call it disgusting.

NYC water is still just fine, though, last I drank it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 09:47 AM

3,245 posts, read 4,163,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
it's the NYC water that make pizza crust and bagels taste so good
Many people believe this. Some bagel stores in NJ advertise that they use NYC water!

Old 12-26-2013, 09:56 AM

130 posts, read 221,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Me!

I think people who drag water packed in plastic from supermarkets on a weekly basis at thousands of percent markup are just plain nuts. If they were forced to go to the town well and carry their water back to their homes there would be a revolution but they do it willingly and pay handsomely for the privilege.

I would also venture that if the same people did a blind testing they would pick NYC tap water over the styrene laced plastic water.

Oh yeah:
The water I drink is in glass. I am a looney who feels that cancer could be caused by something attached to plastics

Old 12-26-2013, 10:07 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,851,792 times
NYC has some of the best tasting tap in the U.S. Also some of the cleanest.

If you want bad-tasting tap, visit, Florida, Arizona, or California.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:25 AM

51,289 posts, read 50,539,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
NYC has some of the best tasting tap in the U.S. Also some of the cleanest.

If you want bad-tasting tap, visit, Florida, Arizona, or California.
I was at a restaurant on the Gulf side of Florida and they gave us water with our meal. It smelled BAD, like sewage bad. None of us would drink it.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:40 AM

20,147 posts, read 26,435,766 times
If anyone ever ventures across the Hudson, to the Newport Mall in Jersey City perhaps, taste the water. I think it is currently the best tap water I have ever tasted. NYC used to have the distinction but slipped a little to second place. JC replaced it's main conduits a few decades ago and the water from Split Rocks (Boonton) and Parsippany reservoirs is delicious and crystal clear (at least it was when I left 3 years ago.)

I wonder how long we will be able to hold off gas fracking, which will spell then end to our close to pristine water supply. It already is not nearly as good as it was 20 years ago which likely is the result of upstate development.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:56 AM

343 posts, read 866,030 times
my dad told me i will radiate at night because i drink tap water lolol haha!

Old 12-27-2013, 09:59 AM

6,909 posts, read 9,036,542 times
Does it really taste that much better? Like Pellegrino?

Old 12-24-2016, 10:16 AM

242 posts, read 515,736 times
New York has much better tap water than other parts of the country... NYC definitely takes the cake. I live in Long Island and our water is soft here too (not as soft as NYC) but definitely more chlorine and chemicals. Also, eastern Long Island has a lot of issues with water due to contamination and pollution from septic tanks. I've also noticed that the further east you go, the harder the water is and the more chemicals that are in it. Compared to Suffolk County, Nassau has much better water. Also, south shore generally has tastier water than mid or north shore. A friend of mine moved from East Islip to Ronkonkoma... she told me her hair didn't come out great, I tasted her water and it is moderately hard!

I've lived in Florida, so I think I can basically deal with tap water anywhere after being there. It is extremely hard and smelly. Unless you get a softener, bye-bye soft skin and nice hair! Even in SoCal, I didn't have much of an issue with their water. Definitely not NY water but not as bad as FL. However, I have to say parts of NJ have ridiculously hard and smelly water as well... even in a place like Fort Lee or Hoboken right near NY. Central NJ water has seemed okay to me. The shore is so, so.

Very few areas of the US have soft water... I believe upward of 80-85% of homes have some degree of hard water in this country. You'll understand soft water in NY area and other parts of the northeast, parts of Louisiana, I believe Atlanta, maybe parts of Chicago, and the Pacific Northwest.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:26 AM

5,721 posts, read 5,239,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whymeagain1 View Post
Who drinks tap water?
I drink it almost exclusively when I'm at home. Why pay for something you can get for free?

If I happen to be Saratoga I'll fill up a few gallons of spring water, but otherwise it's tap water for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or