Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 03:22 PM

181 posts, read 444,972 times

Advertisements

When I got my first job out of college 2 years ago, I was ecstatic because it would be the most money I'd ever get paid than all the previous jobs I had plus benefits as well. The salary was 40,500. It was a very basic systems analyst/support job. Because of promotions and other things, my salary is now about 50,000 2 years later....

But I've been doing some research and some say my salary is quite low for someone who works in NYC. I've tried googling various metrics but the results are all so volatile thus I can't really get much meaning out of them. I'm sure it depends on fields too. In thinking about it more, if you live on Long Island like I do, the costs certainly add up commuting to the city such that most apartments you find are below standards. I was lucky to find something nice for a lower than expected price.

So what's the verdict? Am I one of the poorest commuters on the trains?

What do you think the average salary is for an entry level position in NYC?
If you got your first job in NYC, what was your starting salary and how long ago was this?
What do you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 03:32 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
Just be grateful you found a job

Old 07-20-2013, 03:36 PM

181 posts, read 444,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post

Very much so - and I do feel I have a strong salary, but given the high costs of NY/LI, a lot of times it feels like it isn't enough. I'd probably have to leave the state if I couldn't find a job here though !

Old 07-20-2013, 03:42 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,564 times
I remember seeing threads like this 3+ years ago. You were made to feel inadequate if you were a fresh college grad making less than 65k. If I find the threads then i'll post it for those that want a quick laugh.

I would say 40k is a good salary for somebody fresh out of college but it really depends on what your field/degree in. Some(most) fields are not very marketable and you'll be lucky if you find a job paying more than 30k a year.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:32 PM

5 posts, read 38,469 times
Wow I feel terrible I'm fresh out of college and my starting salary was 32k are they hiring at your company because i would love to apply.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:35 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
30-40k for a basic college degree. That diploma is nothing more today than the equal to the high school diploma when i graduated many decades a go.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:57 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
Sounds about right. I had to learn an actual marketable trade to earn more and then had to live in the ghettos and slums until I paid my dues in full. Maybe one day I'll dust off that overpriced piece of junk degree and go corporate. The degree is a backup, no one will ever respect mine until I have solid experience behind me. Thinking you can ride through some four year fantasyland on mom and dad's dime and then make it big right away is pretty unrealistic. This isn't the post-WW2 America of prosperity. This is 2013. You really aren't special and you will be lucky to hack out a decent life.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 07-20-2013 at 07:05 PM..

Old 07-21-2013, 08:25 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Everyone always spews that, "AT LEAST YOU HAVE A JOB BE GRATEFUL" stuff at people for every minor question they ask. But seriously---do you really think you're amongst "the poorest" when you're riding alongside retail workers on the train? You make more than I do with a BS and MS under my belt.

Obviously it depends on what field you're in, that's the first thing. Many nurses make more than 60K out of the gate. So do a variety of other professions. But I think your salary for an entry level position is about right. Most places seem to post entry level salaries somewhere in the 40s, give or take some.

50K after two years? That's not so bad. My friend was making somewhere around that with a major in CIS and eventually he added some other certs and he moved up within the company enough to boost his salary wayyy above that. My husband is also underpaid, as am I---join the club. Get your experience and apply to new positions as you move along.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:03 AM

259 posts, read 394,069 times
You can live on 50k in NYC?

Old 07-21-2013, 09:17 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post

Should we be grateful that our government doesn't drop bombs on us? Or that we don't have death squads roaming our streets? Or that we have clean water?

Some companies pay below rate, some at rate, and some above. What's the difference between their employees? On average not a lot.

The truth is that some people always look for better and jump ship for a few more dollars. They're always on the hustle.
Some others are either too afraid or too content.

Sometimes the grass is greener. Test the market and see what's out there.

I'll tell you that I know of too many people who were told that they have it good or that they should be grateful and a few years down the line they had even more because they ignored the naysayers and hustled for something better.

A lot of people simply don't like to see others do better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: