U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:31 PM

6,926 posts, read 9,092,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Dude, you can't prove something like whether or not homes in Elmhurst have multiple families in them by going on a message board like this . Want to know what goes on in Elmhurst and Jackson Heights? Try living, working, or otherwise interacting in those neighborhoods.

You tend to ignore everything you don't like, and whatever, that's your business and your own personal issue.

But repeatedly lying about things don't make them true. I made no comments about Northern Queens, btw, partially because I rarely go to those neighborhoods. Though I will say even in Northern Queens, I've known immigrants and even some poor Americans to rent basements in these places. These people, particularly if they are not working on the books, may not show up in statistics, depending on how the data is collected. But they are there.

The thing is about this board, there are people who will claim every neighborhood in NYC is either well off or about to be gentrified, and in many cases its hogwash or simply people trying to PUMP their favorite areas (especially if they have investments in them).
Are you sure you finished college? Do you not remember your own post? -

Quote:
And honestly, very few neighborhoods have truly gentrified. Places like Chelsea and Williamsburg, yes. Overall, Upper Manhattan no, the Bronx, no, most of Queens, no.
Clearly you said "most of Queens" but where is your proof? Is Corona, Jackson Heights and your fabrication of Elmhurst "most of Queens" (your words)?

Told you to do simple math which you are apparently averse to doing. Add the square miles of Douglaston, Auburndale, Little Neck, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Fresh Meadows, Hillcrest, Bayside, Oakland Gardens, Glen Oaks, Kew Garden Hills, Whitestone, Astoria, LIC and Malba.

Then add the square miles of Corona and Jackson Heights. For arguments sake, add Elmhurst.

Then compare which is greater.

The logic pretty simple for a college grad to comprehend, right? Maybe not for you. Or maybe you went to the Queens Center Mall one day to treat yourself to a pair of cheap jeans and concluded that everything you saw along the way was all of Queens LOL!

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 07-23-2013 at 10:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 04:13 AM

23,329 posts, read 16,233,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post

The logic pretty simple for a college grad to comprehend, right? Maybe not for you. Or maybe you went to the Queens Center Mall one day to treat yourself to a pair of cheap jeans and concluded that everything you saw along the way was all of Queens LOL!
Yes, Forest Hills, you know everything. You're the expert on everything in Queens, like SoBroGuy knows everything about the Bronx. I will leave you to knowing everything about Queens and being king of the hill of an internet message board. Yes, you rule this message board.

Pathetic really, but I don't have the time to engage your childish games or prove anything to you.

Technically, I will say that if someone doesn't want to believe something, there's NO WAY to prove anything to them. If you want to believe Queens is mostly wealthy, then go ahead and believe it. Just believe it. I'm not interested in engaging with delusional people. As the saying goes, never argue with a fool, because it will be hard for others to tell who the fool is (YOU).

Old 07-24-2013, 09:25 AM

506 posts, read 843,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
How is Wall Street responsible? If it weren't for the totally destructive, unregulated winner-takes-all atmosphere that led to our crash back in 2008 the Big 3 wouldn't have needed help.
Could you elaborate on this please? I am one of these destructive evil bankers and am curious about what your perspective is.

Quote:
The reason why they got in such trouble was because no one could finance a car through the BANKS, who were so grossly deregulated that criminal activity went unchecked.. It was about a lack of access to CREDIT and FINANCING, you know... the things businesses traditionally rely upon as well as car buyers.
You understand the difference between investment banks (Wall St.) and commercial banks, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynn's Ghost View Post
I make no such assumption. Not all, not most. My research is showing that such landlords are a small percentage. But there are still enough of them to spell big trouble.
Furthermore, the insolvent renters seem, and I emphasize seem, to wind up disproportionately as the tenants of the semi-solvent landlords.
Could you perhaps link us to some of this "research"?

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 07-24-2013 at 09:51 AM..

Old 07-24-2013, 09:34 AM

506 posts, read 843,527 times
This is such a dumb thread.

>OP makes ridiculously troll-y statement
>Others respond, calling her out in kind
>Appeals to authority of "economist training", but no credentials provided
>Offers stereotypical paranoid rants about the economy, no empirical evidence provided
>Language otherwise suggests little scholarly training in economics
>Thinks credit cards cause housing bubbles

Old 07-24-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Yes, Forest Hills, you know everything. You're the expert on everything in Queens, like SoBroGuy knows everything about the Bronx. I will leave you to knowing everything about Queens and being king of the hill of an internet message board. Yes, you rule this message board.

Pathetic really, but I don't have the time to engage your childish games or prove anything to you.

Technically, I will say that if someone doesn't want to believe something, there's NO WAY to prove anything to them. If you want to believe Queens is mostly wealthy, then go ahead and believe it. Just believe it. I'm not interested in engaging with delusional people. As the saying goes, never argue with a fool, because it will be hard for others to tell who the fool is (YOU).
Don't blame the messenger. I just pointed you to the map and asked you to do the simple math. You'll see there's nothing to argue about. The real fool is someone like you who can't understand simple math.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:33 AM

You are on my ignore list, ForestHillsDaddy, where you will remain as I have no time for nonsense.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:37 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,308,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynn's Ghost View Post
Have you made contingencies. I plan on selling as quick I can, making my next project after I sell and get an apt to find a job in a sustainable second tier city that will be less affected by the national (global?) housing collapse and then

HFTB

HOPE

FOR

THE

BEST!

You?
Let me guess: you're a conservative, are you?
Because only conservatives make such stupid, pointless, trollish threads.

And - unfortunately- a lot of people waste their time discussing such idiotic statements...

Old 07-24-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
You are on my ignore list, ForestHillsDaddy, where you will remain as I have no time for nonsense.
That's preposterous. You should devote enough time for yourself. It's good for your own wellbeing.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:02 PM

1,009 posts, read 681,151 times
NYC will never become a Detroit. It's not Detroit's fault; it's just that it's economy was so dependent on the auto / manufacture sector that when it left Detroit fell too hard too fast.

NYC does have gigantic infrastructure and beauracratic costs but, we have a diverse economy with service, goods and NJ for the dirty industrial stuff. NYC wil never experience the crash that Detroit did because our economy is not that dependant on only one sector.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
NYC will never become a Detroit. It's not Detroit's fault; it's just that it's economy was so dependent on the auto / manufacture sector that when it left Detroit fell too hard too fast.

NYC does have gigantic infrastructure and beauracratic costs but, we have a diverse economy with service, goods and NJ for the dirty industrial stuff. NYC wil never experience the crash that Detroit did because our economy is not that dependant on only one sector.
I mostly agree with you, but never say never. One reason why NYC's economy hasn't had that kind of crash is because planners were AWARE of the DANGERS overreliance on any one sector. Bloomberg thought it dangerous for the city to rely so much on finance, so he heavily pushed development of other sectors. Meaning he saw the possibility of utter disaster, and acted to prevent it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or