U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 10:42 PM

150 posts, read 214,207 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I'm not sure if what I'm about to ask is "appropriate" for this website, but it is still a forum for data and has to do with this city in specific so here goes.. Does anyone around here know where one can audition and earn parts for plays and such? Simply put, I'm thinking of pursuing a career in acting. I know it may sound foolish and such to some individuals, but hey, I'm willing to give it a try. I've only heard, but I believe NY and LA have the two biggest castings for certain roles.

What I really want to know is if someone on this forum has had some kind of experience in this field? I'm really looking for anything, I just want to see if I like it, and if there are some possibilities of getting noticed.

Tbh, the question is kind of vast and I know I'm not being very clear.. But, I think one can get the idea of what I'm looking for. With that said, ANY advice, comment, or opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 01:15 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times
Since you have no replies at all, I thought I'd post something for you.

If you decide to pursue a career in acting here, come with a lot of money saved up to sustain yourself, and be prepared to take other work - secretarial temp work, waiting on tables - in the meantime. Once here, you would presumably take acting classes and buy the local papers where audition notices are posted.

A very long time ago, I heard that there were something like 30,000 supposed actors in NYC, and only a tiny fraction of them were actually working as actors. So I hope you have a fall-back option.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:45 PM

8,141 posts, read 12,506,027 times
The chances of you becoming an actor is really slim so yes you will need a fallback option. If you are attractive you might have a better shot.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Since you have no replies at all, I thought I'd post something for you.

If you decide to pursue a career in acting here, come with a lot of money saved up to sustain yourself, and be prepared to take other work - secretarial temp work, waiting on tables - in the meantime. Once here, you would presumably take acting classes and buy the local papers where audition notices are posted.

A very long time ago, I heard that there were something like 30,000 supposed actors in NYC, and only a tiny fraction of them were actually working as actors. So I hope you have a fall-back option.
Well, I'm from Queens. But wow, 30,000 "supposed actors" haha, can't say I'm surprised though.. I'm thinking of taking acting classes, yes, but I'll definitely look into buying the local papers as I did not know there are audition notices on there.

Thanks for taking the time to leave a post on here you two, I appreciate it ^_^

Old 07-23-2013, 05:56 PM

316 posts, read 465,597 times
Buy Backstage every Thursday and hang out at the Drama Book Shop on W.40th Street. Get formal training, a flexible day job and don't skimp on cheap headshots.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 PM

1,746 posts, read 3,420,304 times
It can be random. I was walking through a convention and a guy asked if I wanted to be an extra in an Ang Lee movie. It turned out to be legit and I had a great time. They couldn't find enough union members, so I got a waiver.

I'm not an actor at all btw. I think if you approach it as a hobby it might be the right attitude.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:31 PM

274 posts, read 548,336 times
I will add more but first consolidate what info I think is good from actor and artists I know:

1) Acting is a difficult profession to make a good living FULL-TIME. The more flexible you are the more opportunities. Most actors who are working 50 - 100% of their time do: acting for plays and musicals on large cruise ships, willing to do off-off or off-Broadway (for example a good gig off-off Broadway would be Secret Theater in Long Island City or a theater in downtown Brooklyn and Washington Heights, off-Broadway would be performing at BAM in Brooklyn, theaters outside of Lincoln Center and Times Square), be willing to travel on the road, do voice-overs and commercials, teach.

2) I agree with Photostoresheila - get the publications: Backstage, also Playbill has a site posting acting opportunities, go to the Drama Bookshop (great place to go for anybody visiting NYC and into theater), attend musical and music shows as well as theater (old stalwarts such as Don't Tell Mama's, a cabaret place, is good informal way to meet singers and actors at various stages of their careers showing off their material), and LEARN.

3) A good resource for Actors especially is the Actors Fund. Info on health insurance, networking an volunterin opportunities are pretty good. They also have a department called the Actors Work Fund geared toward actors and artists seeking sideline work between gigs. Very good place.

4) As you are new to the field why not talk to actors who are teaching artists - they may use they acting skills and knowledge to help complement the teaching of traditional subjects (math, English, etc) at a few schools. In Manhattan LaGuardia School of the Arts in LIC Frank Sinatra School for the Arts.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:32 PM

Thank you for more of your replies on this forum! I truly appreciate it..

@photostoresheila - Yes, I'll definitely be getting updated with "Backstage" as they seem to have a very large base, and their subscriptions seem to give out great info. Speaking of headshots.. I recently heard of a man who wants to get into the acting business. He works as a waiter in the city and once he sees "well known" producers, or actors, he would present a very "professional" headshot photo. Although I don't know how effective that is, it's interesting since that may actually work for some.. Well, for really good looking individuals I suppose.

@barkomatic - You're right. It'll always be a hobby because I enjoy it. I've actually been acting since I was a kid, just not "professionally" or formally. Was more in front of friends and families.. Now I'm just seeing if I can take it to a professional level, but it'll always be a hobby

@astroia 34567 - Yeah, I wasn't planning to act and hope for a living off it just yet. I just want to see the world and how it works first. Both you and @photostoresheila mentioned the Drama Bookshop which I never heard of. But, thanks to you two, I will definitely check that place out! Speaking of teachers, once I go back to school in the fall, I will converse with professors that are in this field. Thanks for the idea ~

Once again, all your tips and help are appreciated! I have a better understanding of what moves I should be making now ^^

Old 07-25-2013, 08:09 AM

27,611 posts, read 24,793,924 times
It's called a 2 second Google search.

How to Find New York City Acting Auditions | eHow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City