U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-21-2013, 01:31 PM
 
Location: boston
16 posts, read 73,934 times
Reputation: 23

Advertisements

Hi there, I am moving to NYC from out of state, but need to be in an area close to NJ (due to work). Therefore I am considering West Village, TriBeca, FiDi, and Hell's Kitchen. I am a straight male, single with no kids. I am looking for a place with a good amount of nightlife, single young professionals, safe and clean with a gym very close by.

I found a place at 666 Greewnich St (it is next to the Christopher St. Path Station). Do people have opinions on this area? Are there certain parts of West Village that would be recommended over others? Budget is around 3200/month if that matters.

Also, on another note, I was walking around the city and found that I liked the area of Midtown East (53rd and 4th/5th) because it seemed like it was clean with many conveniences and nightlife around. Is there some area like that on the west side of NYC?

Apologies for the list of questions, but any help is appreciated. Many thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2013, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,134 posts, read 26,416,255 times
Reputation: 9029
Why not live at Newport, Jersey City, with a good gym on site as well as a PATH station and a large Shopping Mall and several superb supermarkets, You will save money on income taxes by not living in the City and can zoom in and out on the PATH train for weekend frolicking.
It's a nice place to live.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 02:46 PM
 
10,605 posts, read 20,734,839 times
Reputation: 8150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehoolio View Post
Hi there, I am moving to NYC from out of state, but need to be in an area close to NJ (due to work). Therefore I am considering West Village, TriBeca, FiDi, and Hell's Kitchen. I am a straight male, single with no kids. I am looking for a place with a good amount of nightlife, single young professionals, safe and clean with a gym very close by.

I found a place at 666 Greewnich St (it is next to the Christopher St. Path Station). Do people have opinions on this area? Are there certain parts of West Village that would be recommended over others? Budget is around 3200/month if that matters.

Also, on another note, I was walking around the city and found that I liked the area of Midtown East (53rd and 4th/5th) because it seemed like it was clean with many conveniences and nightlife around. Is there some area like that on the west side of NYC?

Apologies for the list of questions, but any help is appreciated. Many thanks in advance!
It looks like the active rentals for studio apartments at at 666 Greenwich are $4300 and up. When you said you found a place there, what did you mean?

StreetEasy: The Archive at 666 Greenwich St. in West Village - Sales, Rentals, Floorplans
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 04:06 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 2,145,129 times
Reputation: 4042
Well it's extremely gay area. You can say 'oh I'm an open minded, accepting individual, that's fine.' Well maybe it will be but it's much more in your face gay than other areas of the city. The path train is on 6th Ave at 9th st, 14th, and 23, and 33rd so as long as you live within an avenue or two of sixth ave, you can live pretty much anywhere.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 04:34 PM
 
Location: BK All Day
4,480 posts, read 8,317,230 times
Reputation: 4288
I lived in the west village for a year and while it's great, I wouldn't live there again unless I had significant means. I lived in a "Jr 1" for $3000 on the 3rd floor of a walk up that had a real mouse problem. $3200 won't get you very much there. It was very dated and had no dishwasher. It was a great location, although frequently I would find drunk people sitting on my stoop puking or crying.

Also, if you need to go to the drug store at night for get it, they are all a 10 minute walk. The grocery store isn't that nice, and like I said it has a HUGE mouse problem.

I think TriBeCa is lovely and I found an amazing apartment there but didn't end up getting it.

I'm a 26 year old female FWIW.

ADD: Christopher St, while not terrible, it's the nicest st in the WV.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 05:36 PM
 
Location: boston
16 posts, read 73,934 times
Reputation: 23
Thanks everyone thus far!

Another option is Midtown West at the Mercedes House or Financial District, although I hear that things are not very active after work in FiDi and 53rd/11th seems a bit secluded as well, not sure?

@Ohio Girl - I have heard TriBeca is mostly for families. Is this not true? Border of TriBeca/FiDi would be an option as it would be near the path. Where in W. Village did you live that there was not a drug store for 10 minute walk and people were puking at your door? I'd like to stay away from there.

@JoeyMags - Thanks for the input, is there a certain part of W. Village that is more "in your face" gay than other parts? It doesn't really matter but I guess would be good to have local straight bars around for after work socializing.

@Henna - Actually the unit at 666 Greenwich is a 2br (1br plus separate loft) for $5500 so I would have a roommate. It sounds like anywhere in the village will require a roommate.

@Kefir King - I would like to try living in NYC for at least a year. My sister lives in Newport and I must say, it is not really for me. Amazing buildings, but not much social activities in the area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 07:50 PM
 
Location: East Village
755 posts, read 1,993,865 times
Reputation: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Why not live at Newport, Jersey City, with a good gym on site as well as a PATH station and a large Shopping Mall and several superb supermarkets, You will save money on income taxes by not living in the City and can zoom in and out on the PATH train for weekend frolicking.
It's a nice place to live.
Sorry, but Jersey City (and Newport), while nice, do not compare to the West Village. If someone can afford to spend $3k on rent, they should live in the WV if they want. Anyway, I've been in the West Village for three years now, paying less than $2.5k for a true one-bedroom, around 550 sq. ft. There are deals to be had under $3k, if you look.

Christopher is hell on the weekends and can be a little more sketch, especially near the PATH train. It's not dangerous by any means, but like ohiogirl said—there are some unsavory types and a lot of drunk partygoers.

There are plenty of bars that aren't explicitly gay. You really, really should visit the neighborhood and NYC in general, it seems. Plenty of gay people, straight people, families, etc., live in all neighborhoods in NYC.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Upper East, NY
1,144 posts, read 2,537,371 times
Reputation: 561
I was surprised on this Manhattan neighborhood crime map put up by someone using Google Maps they labeled two tiny areas as entry-level dangerous - the "Christopher Street Corridor" (basically Christopher Street) and the 4th St. Corridor just west of Washington Square Park.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 08:37 PM
 
4,891 posts, read 8,978,311 times
Reputation: 8366
Christopher Street near West 4 is a jungle on any Saturday night during the summer.
Just like West 8 /6 ave.
Rowdy outter borough hoods looking for trouble.
BUT---there ARE cops everywhere.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2013, 08:50 PM
 
Location: BK All Day
4,480 posts, read 8,317,230 times
Reputation: 4288
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehoolio View Post
@Ohio Girl - I have heard TriBeca is mostly for families. Is this not true? Border of TriBeca/FiDi would be an option as it would be near the path. Where in W. Village did you live that there was not a drug store for 10 minute walk and people were puking at your door? I'd like to stay away from there.
I lived at W4 and Perry. Right in the center of every where everyone wants to be! Summer is the WORST bc its all people who drive in on the weekend for a "big weekend out"

I like TriBeCa, yes there are lots of families, but it's hardly all families.

Are you dead set on a luxury building? You could live in Newport to Hoboken in a nice building along for $3100. I personally like to go home to a peaceful place and travel to my going out. Although I live in NoHo now so it's hardly serene.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top