U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 07:39 PM

2,432 posts, read 3,248,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Prowler View Post
How is Washington heights and morningside heights in general?

I have a friend in Washington heights and he said it wasn't bad but I realize some areas are better or worse than others in neighborhoods.

Also, I believe morningside and Washington heights are areas within Harlem correct?
search button is your friend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 08:08 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,246,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Prowler View Post
Also, I believe morningside and Washington heights are areas within Harlem correct?
Harlem is most often defined as starting at 110th street on the West side, which does make Morningside Heights a part of Harlem, although many would say it resembles the UWS more than traditional Harlem.

Washington Heights is it's own separate neighborhood, starting at 155th street.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:20 PM

4,109 posts, read 2,985,628 times
Morningside Heights, west of Morningside Drive, North of 110th St, and South of 125th St -- this is Columbia U. Very good area but practically you may only be able to get a sublet, because if not all, most apartments there are leased from Columbia U's Real Estate office to students.

If you do find an apartment there, make sure you don't park overnight on those boundary streets, or budget for monthly break-ins.

You would be surprised if I told you that Upper East Side is probably the most affordable good area.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:26 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,559,056 times
> Could you please tell me what the names of the areas are red and orange in this Manahatan map?

Red areas:
- The topmost red area = Central Harlem (though not all of it) - Central Harlem also includes the orange area around the red area. There might be a more fine definition of the Central Harlem subareas I am not aware of
- The red area south and east of Central Harlem = Spanish Harlem - no good to live but not close to as bad as areas of Bronx and Brooklyn like Brownsville.
- Orange area at the top of Manhattan- Washington Heights - the bad part east of Broadway- I've never been there except travelling through so I wouldn't know how bad it is but my impression is it's more about noise than danger.
- Orange area in lower Manhattan- Lower East Side near the rivers/projects as I stated before.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:29 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,056,012 times
Don't just ask about safety, ask about quality of life. Many parts of Harlem are safe but you could go crazy with the Dominican music playing at full blast all night. Your wallet may not get pick pocketed but your shoes will be ruined as they think opening the fire hydrant caps is a perfectly acceptable form of entertainment. Cab drivers would see me, well dressed and polished, pull up to my old West Harlem residence. There would be no place to cross without water up to the ankles, full blast. They would always ask me why I live around such crap. I didn't stay there long and I resent the Dominican people to this day, even though I was never robbed or assaulted. I told them all to f@ck off the day I left.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:31 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,559,056 times
The areas in the western part of Harlem (above Central Park and hugging the Hudson River) have renamed themselves trying to separate from the name of Harlem - Morningside Heights, Manhattan Valley, Manhattanville, Hamilton Heights, Sugar Hill - and they are legitimately safer than Central or East/Spanish Harlem.

But I think most would agree than most of Harlem (the broad definition of Harlem as anything above 110 St/Central park North) isn't too dangerous anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City