Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 10:41 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloquinterosm View Post
I'm coming to NY to purse a masters degree in bilingual-bicultural education. I'm moving with my family (wife and 8-year-old daughter). We're looking for a 2 bdr-apartment between US. 900 and 1100 a month. We're also considering sharing a 3 bdr. apartment with someone on a 70%/30% arrangement...

Any advice or tips?

NYC is the worst US city for students with family to support. The 40x rent requirement can eliminate a lot of rentals for you even if you are able to pay for it month by month. Seek help from your school for subsidized housing. Or you can make do with a one br in midwood Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 08:55 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
I know of a few one-bedroom places in HH, Convent and 140s or environs, around $1,500., one two-bedroom for around $1,700. that I believe is rented.

Research on craigslist. Meet a realtor and work with them.

FYI everyone else - Columbia does not offer "subsidized" housing for professional students.
OP should look for a regulated apartment.

Look in Washington Heights, figure out the good areas. Prices are similar, though.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:59 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroia 34567 View Post

But the above is unusual. I live in an apartment that is somewhat subsidized by the city (rent stabilized) that are usually hard to find unless you know the landlord or a tenant in a building that has such apartments. It would be best just to increase your budget to $1500, reside in some place like the Ironbound of Newark, and then see what options you can get through your school or research.
Not hard to find at all. You can assume that most apartments in certain areas are stabilized, excepting some new constructions.

Brokers and landlords keep this status from prospective tenants - and there, they choose people - not American; American transplants and young - who won't look into their legal rents, either due to ignorance or sheer selfishness or both.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:17 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Its very rare for Transplants to live out in Southern and Eastern Queens, Northern Bronx and Southern Brooklyn, hell even the whole borough of Staten Island. But for your price point those areas are exactly where you might live. I have a buddy is a Cali Transplant and lives near Jamaica Queens and pays 1,100 in rent for a 1 bedroom.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloquinterosm View Post
thank you for taking the time for such thorough report on my options.

I've found a nice and big studio in Yonkers, 5 min. from Van Cortlandt Station, so I can be in TC in about half an hour, and it's only 870 dollars a month, and I even have the chance of moving to a 1 bdr. apt. in the same building as soon as one becomes available. We'll be a little crowded, true, but that's just a small price for getting a MA at an Ivy League school...thank you again...
Glad you were able to find something that suits you and best of luck! You can also look in the Norwood section of the Bronx-- a little south of where you are. $900 is very typical for a big (400 sq. ft.) studio and $1150-$1200 gets you a large 1BR (700+ sq. ft.) a block off Jerome Avenue and just a block and a half from the Mosholu Parkway stop on the 4 train.

You weren't far off on the 2BR either-- current rates for those in the area are $1,250-$1,500 and these are not slum buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City