U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you support "Stand your Ground" laws?
Yes 35 52.24%
No 32 47.76%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2013, 06:27 PM
 
9,323 posts, read 13,866,155 times
Reputation: 9373

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
wateva
SYG allows u to be outside of yo home, start sh1t and then kill someone if u feel like ur losing, thats the defense that Z used
Stand Your Ground allows no such thing. If you start it, and you're losing, you have a duty to retreat. If the other guy starts it, you have no duty to retreat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2013, 06:28 PM
 
2,228 posts, read 2,950,121 times
Reputation: 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
did the black on black perps go free? and who gives a damn bout OJ, even black people now know he did it
post fail...
Totally missing my point. 2 people were murdered by OJ. Where was the president saying that could of been my daughter or son in law? Where is all the outcry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
570 posts, read 482,973 times
Reputation: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
wateva
SYG allows u to be outside of yo home, start sh1t and then kill someone if u feel like ur losing, thats the defense that Z used
Zimmerman didn't start sh1t as you allege. He was a Neighborhood Watch volunteer, doing a civic duty and reported to an Admin phone number, NOT 911, of a suspicious person, unknown to him in the small CULTURALLY MIXED complex.

Watch the video in my other post on this thread.

Norwood has a grasp of the facts and his comments are correct according to the facts of the case, not what the Times wants to to believe.

I am going to look up some SYG stats that show SYG was used as a defense a lot more by blacks than by whites as a percentage of the population makeup. Stay tuned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 06:29 PM
 
64,711 posts, read 66,206,532 times
Reputation: 43118
Not true at all. You still have a duty in nys to retreat into your house regardless.

The law says if you are not the aggressor inside your home you can use deadly force.

In a street situation you have a duty to retreat where you can regardless of who started it.

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-22-2013 at 06:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 06:32 PM
 
Location: NJ
690 posts, read 772,722 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Stand Your Ground allows no such thing. If you start it, and you're losing, you have a duty to retreat. If the other guy starts it, you have no duty to retreat.
no u dont, ur allowed to not retreat thus the law title
and GZ is the only one left to tell the story so of course he didnt start it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 06:35 PM
 
9,323 posts, read 13,866,155 times
Reputation: 9373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
no u dont, ur allowed to not retreat thus the law title
Not if you start it. Florida statute 776.041(2) says that the defense of justifiable homicide is not allowed if you start it, unless you first exhaust "every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 06:47 PM
 
Location: NJ
690 posts, read 772,722 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Not if you start it. Florida statute 776.041(2) says that the defense of justifiable homicide is not allowed if you start it, unless you first exhaust "every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant".
yea but he ll jus lie and say he didnt start it duh he the only witness left
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 06:54 PM
 
Location: NJ
690 posts, read 772,722 times
Reputation: 141
if u think Zimmerman trial is the only case, think again
Man in ice pick stabbing will not be prosecuted | News | New Tampa-Wesley Chapel News
and who carries an ice pick with them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 07:00 PM
 
9,323 posts, read 13,866,155 times
Reputation: 9373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
if u think Zimmerman trial is the only case, think again
Man in ice pick stabbing will not be prosecuted | News | New Tampa-Wesley Chapel News
and who carries an ice pick with them
Yeah, let's save those 20 year olds from those 62-year-old ice pick wielding thugs. I'm sure Polanco went looking for a fight with a man 1/3rd his age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 07:03 PM
 
Location: NJ
690 posts, read 772,722 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yeah, let's save those 20 year olds from those 62-year-old ice pick wielding thugs. I'm sure Polanco went looking for a fight with a man 1/3rd his age.
go live in the south and share yo false teeth with them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top