U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:27 PM

506 posts, read 840,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
This is part of a proposal by a company trying to win the contract to build the subway. How is this remotely objective? Of course they are going to say building the subway is a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 12:35 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,481,371 times
Quote:
Newsflash: lots of people live here. It's not for everybody. The vast majority of Manhattan platforms are clean and well maintained, and many have been completely renovated.
LOL what? Have you ever been on a subway system in a city outside the country? We have by far the dirtiest and least maintained subway system out of the major systems I visited. Even developing countries have cleaner subway systems than ours.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:49 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,865,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
LOL what? Have you ever been on a subway system in a city outside the country? We have by far the dirtiest and least maintained subway system out of the major systems I visited. Even developing countries have cleaner subway systems than ours.
And that's a problem? It's not so dirty that it borders on disgusting. Some people exaggerate their claims on here.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:51 PM

7,129 posts, read 5,506,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
This is part of a proposal by a company trying to win the contract to build the subway. How is this remotely objective? Of course they are going to say building the subway is a good idea.
Huh, what contract? lol

If you actually bothered to look into to this instead of standing on your soap box, you would have learned that this is the $250,000 feasibility study paid for by the City of New York

Old 07-24-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you'd be happier elsewhere. Do us all a favor and follow your dreams

Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 PM

3,337 posts, read 3,130,210 times
Quote:

I get the feeling that a few native NYers have been stuck in NYC lifetime and have been brainwashed so to believe that NYC represents the top standard...well, if someone has not seen something cleaner, what is the point of trying to convincing them that most of NYC subway stations are DIRTY and filthy?

Old 07-24-2013, 01:20 PM

3,337 posts, read 3,130,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post

I heard that every now and then a woman got pregnant accidentally after riding through such rush hours...

Old 07-24-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I get the feeling that a few native NYers have been stuck in NYC lifetime and have been brainwashed so to believe that NYC represents the top standard...well, if someone has not seen something cleaner, what is the point of trying to convincing them that most of NYC subway stations are DIRTY and filthy?
I don't think anyone would argue that NYC has the top cleanliness of subway, far from it. But I think the point is that it doesn't matter. What matters is that it works and provides the service with a reasonable amount of comfort. It will never be as nice as in China or Los Angeles, but I can live with that given the circumstances. I think the MTA & City are putting in a good effort to fix the problems but there is only so much that can be done. It is what it is, and it's a part of the character of this city. You either love it or hate it

Old 07-24-2013, 01:53 PM

506 posts, read 840,468 times
Quote:
Huh, what contract? lol

If you actually bothered to look into to this instead of standing on your soap box, you would have learned that this is the $250,000 feasibility study paid for by the City of New York
Exactly. The city is a client of theirs. The further this project advances, the more engineering work and consulting they will need, thus the more money the firm will make. Surely you can see how their incentives aren't entirely aligned with those of taxpayers.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:17 PM

20,163 posts, read 21,760,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
What's wrong with the NJT train that gets you there in 5 minutes from Penn Station?

Bayside residents mostly have cars and can afford take the LIRR into the city--the amount of time it would take to ride the subway to Manhattan would probably make it an unpopular choice.

How many people actually need to get from Queens to the Bronx every day, though?

I'm not sure if you're paraphrasing the website or those are your opinions about the effects of completing these projects, but do you have any research from independent sources which backs up any of these claims about economic gains?
Agreed on your points except for the outer boroughs line. The reason that's a good idea is because the right-of-way already exists and is owned by the MTA, so it'd be far less costly and disruptive to build than a wholly new line. And while the number of people that need to get from Queens to the Bronx might not be huge (save for special events at Yankee Stadium), the right-of-way for the line does go through a lot of areas that currently do not have subway service whatsoever. It would also allow for new transfer and commuting patterns which probably make more sense as both LIC and downtown Brooklyn grow as job/retail/entertainment centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City