Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 07:24 AM

506 posts, read 1,011,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

1) Extend the 7 from Javits to Secaucus, NJ
- the economic boom to NJ would be off the charts and NYC would greatly benefit as well
What's wrong with the NJT train that gets you there in 5 minutes from Penn Station?

Quote:
2) Extend the 7 train to Bayside
- Bayside has zero subway access and would really benefit
Bayside residents mostly have cars and can afford take the LIRR into the city--the amount of time it would take to ride the subway to Manhattan would probably make it an unpopular choice.

Quote:
3) Build the X line linking Queens to the Bronx over the Hell Gate Bridge
- there is no way to get to the Bronx right now from Queens or Brooklyn without a huge detour through Manhattan. This would be very good the economies of the outer boroughs
How many people actually need to get from Queens to the Bronx every day, though?

I'm not sure if you're paraphrasing the website or those are your opinions about the effects of completing these projects, but do you have any research from independent sources which backs up any of these claims about economic gains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 07:36 AM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,939 times
I find it depressing that even in the future pipe-dream plans the 2 and 5 trains still terminate at Brooklyn College and are not extended to Kings Plaza...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The NYC subway system is much older and adding onto it is completely different than building a relatively newer system like in Beijing. Also as already mentioned the Chinese Government can just move people out the way easily to do whatever construction it wants which quite different than in the USA.
That's not an excuse. For example, the X line across Brooklyn would go through already existing abandoned(?) railroad. Everything there is dug up already complete with overpasses over the tracks. It would've taken the Chinese like 6 months to construct that whole Brooklyn section of the X.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:28 AM

466 posts, read 901,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermerhorn View Post
I got to ride the Beijing subway multiple times when I visited China a year ago. It really is just about the same experience as riding a subway in any other major city, and the air is actually cleaner down there than it is above ground!

Not to mention the price -- just 2 yüan, or about 32 cents!

The dark side of some of that construction, from what I've heard, is how the government bought up some of the land and kicked poorer people out of their homes. Still, what they did for train infrastructure is nothing compared to what they've done (and are still doing) to build more automobile infrastructure. Robert Moses would feel right at home among these Chinese planners.
Yeah the subway in Beijing looks awesome.

Beijing Subway, Line 13, morning rush hour - just a little crowded - YouTube

Old 07-24-2013, 10:32 AM

390 posts, read 940,577 times
As someone who's lived in NYC for 10 years and uses the subway multiple times a day, I have to say it's deplorable. We pay $2.25 per ride, but there's overcrowding to the max (like sardines during rush hour if you're even able to get on the train) there's dirt and filth everywhere, there's trash on the tracks that's been there for years, the platforms are in a state of disrepair, rats everywhere, and let's not forget the smells because of the homeless living in the subway tunnels, on the trains and psychotic people begging for money. I saw a man masturbating on the train in front of two women last week as well.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:11 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
What's wrong with the NJT train that gets you there in 5 minutes from Penn Station?
If only one of those dozens of suggestions get built, it should be 7 train to Secaucus. It's mostly about cost. Taking commuter rail is expensive and people will only use it when they really have to. A cheap hop on subway ride will bring thousands more consumers into NYC and bring thousands of NYC residents to explore Jersey

Also, NJT is maxed out - the tunnels are at capacity. The 7 train is under construction now and it's relatively easy to just keep pushing the tunnel across the Hudson. Plus if you're already in the system, you can just transfer at Times Square or whatever without having to find a subway train at Penn Station.

Last edited by BlakeJones; 07-24-2013 at 11:27 AM..

Old 07-24-2013, 11:14 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,117 times
Quote:
It drops people at Penn Station, which is far away from the job centers of Manhattan. Penn Station is poorly located. The 7 would create direct service to all of Midtown.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
As someone who's lived in NYC for 10 years and uses the subway multiple times a day, I have to say it's deplorable. We pay $2.25 per ride, but there's overcrowding to the max (like sardines during rush hour if you're even able to get on the train) there's dirt and filth everywhere, there's trash on the tracks that's been there for years, the platforms are in a state of disrepair, rats everywhere, and let's not forget the smells because of the homeless living in the subway tunnels, on the trains and psychotic people begging for money. I saw a man masturbating on the train in front of two women last week as well.
I'm sorry the subway isn't living up to your suburban ideals. If you think the over crowding is bad, you should try driving some time. Newsflash: lots of people live here. It's not for everybody. The vast majority of Manhattan platforms are clean and well maintained, and many have been completely renovated. The trash is 99% always in between the tracks, the junk on the platforms are cleaned on a daily basis. Rats are not everywhere, they usually come out at night and it's a problem at some stations. Personally, I like the little guys they give me some entertainment to look at while I wait for the next train.

As for the homeless in the tunnels, there are none. The tunnels have had motion sensors for many years now and trespassing is not tolerated for anyone. You do find them loitering at some stations here and there, and the aggressive psychos are few and far between (I see one maybe every 3 or 4 weeks). Never once witnessed crime or sex offense in 10 years. The worst I've seen is some crazy guy slamming someone's paper to the ground. That was about 7 years ago

Old 07-24-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
It drops people at Penn Station, which is far away from the job centers of Manhattan. Penn Station is poorly located. The 7 would create direct service to all of Midtown.
But how many people are not taking the train that otherwise would take the 7 train? That is the real important question here. If people are taking the NJT despite the inconvenience than a 7 train expansion would seem unnecessary.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
If only one of those dozens of suggestions get built, it should be 7 train to Secaucus. It's mostly about cost. Taking commuter rail is expensive and people will only use it when they really have to. A cheap hop on subway ride will bring thousands more consumers into NYC and bring thousands of NYC residents to explore Jersey
Is that true though? What research has shown this?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Is that true though? What research has shown this?
http://www.nycedc.com/sites/default/...April_2013.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City