U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,734 times

Advertisements

Hey, I have a question about rentals on NYC.

I'm moving to nyc on september to spend a year working there, and I'm looking for a roommate to save some money (renting an apartment just for me would be at least 2300 every month, but a roommate rental would be around 1500).

I don't have any constraints about neighbourhood, acommodations or space, so I'm really flexible about options, BUT there is ONE thing that I'm trying to figure out.

My mother wants to come visit for christmas, my brother wants to visit me for a couple weeks on march, and I'm not sure if there are any roommates that would accept guests, is that the difference between roommate and private room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 05:55 PM

10,604 posts, read 20,734,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sercasti View Post
Hey, I have a question about rentals on NYC.

I'm moving to nyc on september to spend a year working there, and I'm looking for a roommate to save some money (renting an apartment just for me would be at least 2300 every month, but a roommate rental would be around 1500).

I don't have any constraints about neighbourhood, acommodations or space, so I'm really flexible about options, BUT there is ONE thing that I'm trying to figure out.

My mother wants to come visit for christmas, my brother wants to visit me for a couple weeks on march, and I'm not sure if there are any roommates that would accept guests, is that the difference between roommate and private room?
I'm not sure there is a solid answer. A roommate could be amenable to having you host a guest (though having someone for a couple of weeks could be excessive for anyone). This would have to be worked out and agreed upon in advance. "Private room" would be the same, expect from what I have seen, some "private room" situations seem even more limited than roommate situations. I guess I have seen it used more in the types of situations where someone has almost complete control of an apartment, and they are only renting out a room -- meaning you do not have equal say in how the household operates. But everyone seems to use different terminology in their ads. I think you probably have to go by context and by asking questions.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:32 PM

10,604 posts, read 20,734,839 times
You could try doing a search for "guests" in the NY Craigslist rooms and shares section and see if you can find places that specifically say guests are allowed. Unfortunately, most of the ads that have the word "guests" in them are probably going to say that guests are not allowed. However, I just did a quick search and already found a few where they say guests are ok.

Huge Bedroom + Separate Sunny Office - M/F Roommate starting Sept. 1st
Nice, Sunny Private Room in Great Apartment-Utilities & Wifi Incl

You could also rent two rooms in a large apartment and have ample space for guests (as long as this is ok with roommates). Here is one in Sunnyside where each room is about $625, so you could have two rooms and still fall below your max of $1500.
2 open bedrooms in a 4 bedroom apartment

Old 07-22-2013, 07:07 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,062,796 times
Save that money for hotels i guess.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:45 AM

20,129 posts, read 26,407,309 times
Just clear the air with a potential roommate on the matter of occasional overnight guests. "A couple weeks in March" might be pushing the envelope though. Perhaps with a couple weeks stay your brother could kick in 1/3 of a half month's rent.

Or take a lesson from Sheldon Cooper and draw up a 73 page ROOMMATE AGREEMENT.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:42 AM

119 posts, read 173,993 times
A couple of weeks is a LOT of time for a house guest! where were you thinking your mom would sleep? or your borther for weeks on end? I had a roommate in college and we limited out guests to an occasional weekend. I don't htink either one of us ever had someone more than one weekend a month. Weeks on end.... I hope your mom/brother would pay your roommate something towards his or her rent. that is a lot to expect of anyone.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:51 AM

4,783 posts, read 4,663,039 times
I guess you are trying to live in Manhattan. Otherwise, you could rent a one bedroom apartment in the outer boroughs for less than $1500 and then have people come over whenever you want and visit without having to worry about another person in the apartment.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:05 AM

Guys, thanks a lot for the links, you are awesome!

Your information and answers are really helpful, I'll follow your advice

Old 07-23-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I guess you are trying to live in Manhattan. Otherwise, you could rent a one bedroom apartment in the outer boroughs for less than $1500 and then have people come over whenever you want and visit without having to worry about another person in the apartment.

Would you give me an example? I could not find a studio for 1500 in queens, brooklyn or NJ (near the subway)

Old 07-23-2013, 09:43 AM

4,783 posts, read 4,663,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sercasti View Post
Would you give me an example? I could not find a studio for 1500 in queens, brooklyn or NJ (near the subway)
(1) What is "near" the subway and how far do you want to be from the city? Are you trying to be in certain neighborhoods? Are you trying to be "X minutes" away from the city?
(2) I lived near the subway (R line) in Bay Ridge in a large one bedroom apartment with a daytime doorman, elevator, laundry, etc. for $1200 and then $1300/month for four years.

There are so many places where you could get a studio and even a one bedroom apartment for $1,500 or less. I just don't know what your parameters are. Even my friend rented a studio in Park Slope for less than $1,500 a month. Honestly if you could not find a studio in Queens, Brooklyn or NJ for $1,500 or less a month in a nice area you are doing something wrong in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City