U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:58 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,871,512 times

Advertisements

I kind of see it as not wanting to copy what was in the past. Maybe the feeling was that the twin towers were the only ones that could match themselves and there needed to be some new air, a new generation to come in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 09:07 AM

6,037 posts, read 6,076,947 times
The new one is pretty impressive. You have to admit the WTC site is far more interesting now than it was pre 9/11

Old 07-24-2013, 09:30 AM

2,490 posts, read 3,812,423 times
I feel the new tower just kind of blends in with the skyline, whereas the twin towers stood out and looked distinctly "NYC".....I will always miss the towers.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,812 times
I think they should of built the twin tower again, except this time they'd be called the freedom towers and put the memorial inside of each building.but yet again it depends on how safe and sufficiant national and local security.but in the future i do believe the memorial will be a burden for the city because the memorial is actually an ideal place to expand the financial sector when it needs to grow and that will probably happen during this century or the next century.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:44 PM

3,482 posts, read 2,522,443 times
the should just build another tower the same hieght but different design.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:53 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,041,115 times
What they should have done was eliminate the threat the first time when they tried to bring them down with a truck bomb in the parking garage.

In my opinion I think that those events were so horrific that it would have been best not to try and bring back those memories by duplicating the old buildings. We should never forget that horrible day but a lot of times it's best to leave the past where it lies.

Off the record I think they should have designed the new tower as a middle finger and faced in the direction of the Middle East.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:00 PM

148 posts, read 168,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
Off the record I think they should have designed the new tower as a middle finger and faced in the direction of the Middle East.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:24 PM

5,324 posts, read 4,004,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
What they should have done was eliminate the threat the first time when they tried to bring them down with a truck bomb in the parking garage.

In my opinion I think that those events were so horrific that it would have been best not to try and bring back those memories by duplicating the old buildings. We should never forget that horrible day but a lot of times it's best to leave the past where it lies.

Amen to that brother!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:23 PM

3,482 posts, read 2,522,443 times
Team America! Fudge yeah!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:31 PM

281 posts, read 283,559 times
The architecture on the original twins was also dated before the ribbon-cutting ceremony. It was that post-modern block shaped "imposing" style like you see with the Seagram Building, very mid-20th century. There are smaller buildings in that style all over Midtown.

It's true as well that many people hated the twins before they opened and Phillip Petit walked the wire. It took a lot of PR to turn people's minds around. For most of the history of NYC there were no Twin Towers. That space used to be Radio Row. Same deal now with the new one(s). People hated them at first. Now they're starting to change their minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or