U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:33 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,435,882 times

Advertisements

I have no problem with the current design. I think it is a disgrace that it took so long for construction to begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 09:45 PM

510 posts, read 1,167,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
In my opinion I think that those events were so horrific that it would have been best not to try and bring back those memories by duplicating the old buildings. We should never forget that horrible day but a lot of times it's best to leave the past where it lies.
This, exactly. Do you know the amounts of PTSD that would have been triggered if they were rebuilt as exact replicas? And how many people/companies would have avoided having anything to do with them? Plus I think it would be disrespectful to rebuild them exactly as was- it's like pretending nothing happened. NYC changed forever on 9/11- no need to try to go back. Move forward.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:54 PM

510 posts, read 1,167,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
I have no problem with the current design. I think it is a disgrace that it took so long for construction to begin.
Don't forget that construction included years of pulling human remains out of the site, removing all of the debris, rebuilding/reinforcing the entire slurry wall (which is 7 stories deep), clearing out/rebuilding/reinforcing the subway lines that ran underneath, blasting/prepping a new foundation base, etc. Construction of the new tower itself actually began in 2006 which I don't think is outrageous, all of that considered.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:18 PM

642 posts, read 920,952 times
I just visited NYC this past weekend and was pretty impressed with the new tower.

Obviously nothing will be able to replace the originals, and seeing the skyline without them always makes it looks like we're living in some strange parallel universe, but the addition of the new tower still seems to make the skyline seem a little more "complete."

Old 05-14-2014, 05:00 AM

1,204 posts, read 714,324 times
I think the new tower is disappointing. The blue reflective glass is 70s kitsch and the shape looks awkward, as if you're unsure whether the structure is tapering or not. The proportions look out of whack with the rest of lower manhattan. The spire looks bolted on as an after thought.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:40 AM

51,209 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
I think the new tower is disappointing. The blue reflective glass is 70s kitsch and the shape looks awkward, as if you're unsure whether the structure is tapering or not. The proportions look out of whack with the rest of lower manhattan. The spire looks bolted on as an after thought.
You do have to keep in mind that the design is for four towers of graduated heights taking the eye in sort of a spiral down to the memorial plaza. Without Two and Three being completed, One does stick up alone.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:19 AM

2,490 posts, read 3,813,891 times
I heard they are having trouble renting the upper floors...can be expected I guess.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:44 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,571,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docman View Post
I must admit to being disappointed that we built this "freedom tower" or I think it's now called the one world trade center instead of the twin towers. Rebuilding the twin towers would have been a tremendous symbol to terrorists that if they destroy something in america eventually it will be rebuilt. Instead we built this freedom tower. So why didn't we rebuild the twin towers?

Because it is only real estate and not a symbol of anything.... you want to build them buy some land in Manhattan = invest millions of dollars and build away.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:04 AM

11,818 posts, read 7,695,291 times
Having been inside the twin towers consistently in the past, since 9-11 I can't imagine working up there again. With that said I don't think most folks would want to work up there. So I could imagine trying to rent it out in today's market maybe tough.

You figure that with RE prices so high in NYC that most businesses would want to move there. In reality most big businesses are reducing their operations in NYC and moving them elsewhere. A lot of big businesses are now in the subleting business.

Many floors in NYC that used to be full of cubicles are now made into sublet space. I can't imagine any company would want to overpay to be up there again.

Building a second Freedom tower would be foolish from a financial standpoint, maybe in another 50 years people would forget about 9-11 just like today most folks forgot or never experienced Pearl Harbor.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:56 AM

148 posts, read 168,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You do have to keep in mind that the design is for four towers of graduated heights taking the eye in sort of a spiral down to the memorial plaza.
Thanks for that. When I looked at the photo above, I thought "gap needs filled". My 1st thought was curves.

But now that you mention it, facets/diamond shapes even better, and to me would symbolize "Gem" of local, regional, and even national.

An element of security would also please me, ie. beauty that protects rather than vulnerable beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or