U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 07:47 PM

4,827 posts, read 6,929,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
They should've just built twin freedom towers. Something like this:

Honestly, as much as I miss the old Twin Towers. The design was plain, boxy, gray and not that aesthetically-pleasing. The design also didn't protect it from the type of terrorist attack that it faced.

The USA never, ever expected a terrorist attack -- especially back in the 1970s when the TTs were being built
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 08:50 PM

51,225 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
The USA never, ever expected a terrorist attack -- especially back in the 1970s when the TTs were being built
Not quite accurate. A terrorist attack, or at least an attempt, was certainly expected. Just not the TYPE of attack that occurred.

The WTC was the target of ME terrorist threats as far back as the mid 80's. I worked there, and I remember.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 362 times
The reason no one has rebuilt the Twin Towers is that 1. no one even has the guts to and 2. if America was a human, it has been waiting for someone (me) to be the chosen one with the guts to actually care that America actually lost it's WTC.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:34 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,673,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docman View Post
I must admit to being disappointed that we built this "freedom tower" or I think it's now called the one world trade center instead of the twin towers. Rebuilding the twin towers would have been a tremendous symbol to terrorists that if they destroy something in america eventually it will be rebuilt. Instead we built this freedom tower. So why didn't we rebuild the twin towers?
It's not named the Freedom Tower. And I think rebuilding the towers would have been a terrible idea. 1. They were ugly. 2. Extremely insensitive.

I work in FIDI. The new buildings and area are breathtakingly gorgeous. One has so many interesting facets, depending on the light. Ever been inside the Oculus. Wow. Stunning, even though it disgusts me that it is basically a high end shopping mall. I got used to One because it was built first but FOUR is my favorite!

There is a whole culture of dragging out mourning for the old buildings that is a bit over the top in my opinion. For the record, I was a 9/11 covered in dust refugee, so I experienced all of it, first hand, up close in vivid detail. I was not as an arm-chair warrior. It's time to move on, and celebrate life.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:20 AM

7,048 posts, read 7,621,322 times
Wow old thread resurrected. Interesting what was said here 4 years ago.

I still haven't been down there since the rebuild. The two towers were horrible building. One of the worst i ever been in for super tall skyscraper. I remember it swayed back and forth a little. Ugh

Old 09-22-2017, 09:17 AM

14,933 posts, read 16,534,340 times
Symbol schmymbol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or