U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2013, 06:11 PM
 
24,247 posts, read 17,660,489 times
Reputation: 9170

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
That's not right either because it means an apartment isn't available for a legitimately poor/homeless family. These things should be used to get people on their feet and self sufficient, and then on their way
That's not what they are used for, though. A lot of the people who live in the projects do work. They work minimum wage jobs. You know, all those retail jobs. Someone has to do this work. The city can't kick these people out en mass, because it would serious disrupt businesses in the city. So NYCHA will endure in some form, always.

So yes, where these people go is the taxpayer's problems, as the taxpayer is using their services.

Besides, in the cities that demolished their high rise housing projects, all they did was scatter low income people and housing around the area. No city has ever gotten rid of their poor people. Poverty will always be around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2013, 10:38 PM
 
Location: New York City
8,284 posts, read 6,311,912 times
Reputation: 6094
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That's not what they are used for, though. A lot of the people who live in the projects do work. They work minimum wage jobs. You know, all those retail jobs. Someone has to do this work. The city can't kick these people out en mass, because it would serious disrupt businesses in the city. So NYCHA will endure in some form, always.
And what do you say about the people who themselves or now their kids as leaseholders have become paralegals, executive assistants, skilled tradespersons, etc.. making 50, 60, 70+ K plus per and basically getting free housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 10:22 AM
 
285 posts, read 639,772 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
7thflooor said it best make longtime and or high income nycha residents pay market rate rents.
The problem is what is market rate rents? Should everyone in NYC pay $3k, 4k for an apartment? Or are these people simply getting ripped off. Because, I can tell you, for 4K a month, I can live in Beverly Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn New York
15,613 posts, read 25,066,296 times
Reputation: 20888
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10025 View Post
The problem is what is market rate rents? Should everyone in NYC pay $3k, 4k for an apartment? Or are these people simply getting ripped off. Because, I can tell you, for 4K a month, I can live in Beverly Hills.


if your paying 2k for a studio anywhere, you getting ripped off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 10:43 AM
 
Location: USA
8,016 posts, read 9,502,634 times
Reputation: 3411
that's a long wait. you might as well find another option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 10:44 AM
 
Location: New York City
8,284 posts, read 6,311,912 times
Reputation: 6094
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
if your paying 2k for a studio anywhere, you getting ripped off.
What about an oil field in the Arctic where they need people so bad they pay you $350K/year to supervise an oil well and the only housing is a $2000 1-room trailer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 11:48 AM
 
1,119 posts, read 2,266,640 times
Reputation: 874
If they need people so bad, they will provide FREE housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 12:48 PM
 
1,235 posts, read 1,433,249 times
Reputation: 2169
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That's not what they are used for, though. A lot of the people who live in the projects do work. They work minimum wage jobs. You know, all those retail jobs. Someone has to do this work. The city can't kick these people out en mass, because it would serious disrupt businesses in the city. So NYCHA will endure in some form, always.
Well, guess what? If the projects close and the business is unable to attract people for minimum wage, maybe the business would have to pay a higher wage to attract people from further away. I am sick of subsidizing big business and the welfare class through insane taxes. The middle class is constantly getting hosed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 12:48 PM
 
Location: New York City
8,284 posts, read 6,311,912 times
Reputation: 6094
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
If they need people so bad, they will provide FREE housing.
lol, this is true. Just trying to make the point that a blanket statement about X rent is too much for a studio is not legitimate because it all depends on your situation. If you make a fortune 2k/month is nothing. Likewise some people like small apartments, nothing wrong with that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
21,524 posts, read 28,440,291 times
Reputation: 9770
Quote:

There are now 227,000 individuals and families on the waiting list for
Housing Authority apartments, totaling roughly half a million people, and the
queue moves slowly. The apartments are so coveted that few leave them. Only
5,400 to 5,800 open up annually.
That is a 40 year waiting list.

Why in heaven's name have they signed up the last 150,000????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:50 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top