U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-24-2013, 06:01 AM
 
183 posts, read 254,658 times
Reputation: 48

Advertisements

Just wondering if transportation becomes an issue. Who shovels the sidewalks? Does the city see deep snow? Does it happen every year? (lots of snow). Basically, tell me about winter in the city. What kind of clothes are a necessity?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2013, 07:09 AM
 
257 posts, read 497,331 times
Reputation: 178
New York usually gets at least one good snowstorm a year where transportation can become an issue, for a day or two. Sidewalks are shoveled by property and business owners, the streets are cleaned by the Dept of Sanitation, first Manhattan, the outer boroughs... eventually. The winter is pretty mild, usually temperatures don't go much below freezing for long, however it gets pretty windy.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Queens, New York City
470 posts, read 744,511 times
Reputation: 342
In winter I usually wear thermal underwear beneath my regular work clothes, and then my wool pea coat on top. If it's really cold, I'll add a scarf and knit cap. That usually does the trick on the coldest days. I haven't found much need for gloves since I just use my pockets, but a nice pair of gloves would be convenient.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 07:35 AM
 
4,783 posts, read 4,663,039 times
Reputation: 5521
Depends. Some years we don't have much snow and other years we get tons of snow.

Property owners and business owners are supposed to shovel their sidewalks. Most people do but I wish they would ticket those who don't, since I'm not a fan of almost breaking my neck when everything starts to ice over.

I've never owned long johns and didn't think a lot of people wore them until almost everyone I knew told me they did. Yes, you do need warm clothing and most people wear layers.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 AM
 
1,119 posts, read 2,171,377 times
Reputation: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamainfl View Post
Just wondering if transportation becomes an issue. Who shovels the sidewalks? Does the city see deep snow? Does it happen every year? (lots of snow). Basically, tell me about winter in the city. What kind of clothes are a necessity?
Any reason that you asked all these in the middle of summer? We just had a week long heat wave. If you visit NYC now, bring along snow boots and fur coat. Better safe than sorry.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Queens, New York City
470 posts, read 744,511 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Depends. Some years we don't have much snow and other years we get tons of snow.

Property owners and business owners are supposed to shovel their sidewalks. Most people do but I wish they would ticket those who don't, since I'm not a fan of almost breaking my neck when everything starts to ice over.

I've never owned long johns and didn't think a lot of people wore them until almost everyone I knew told me they did. Yes, you do need warm clothing and most people wear layers.
Life is so much better with them. They fit easily under your clothes and they're right against your skin, so they really help hold the heat in. Then you don't have to throw a bunch of layers on top and look like a marshmallow.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 08:10 AM
 
Location: East Village
755 posts, read 1,993,543 times
Reputation: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
Life is so much better with them. They fit easily under your clothes and they're right against your skin, so they really help hold the heat in. Then you don't have to throw a bunch of layers on top and look like a marshmallow.
The heat-tech ones that Uniqlo sells are amazing!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Queens, New York City
470 posts, read 744,511 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
The heat-tech ones that Uniqlo sells are amazing!
Yeah the waffle kind are good but the normal woven ones are not, IMO. Not enough insulation.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2014, 04:06 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,284 times
Reputation: 10
In 2013 New York didn't really get a lot of snow at all and even if it gets snow it's basically going to turn into slush or just be gone in 2 days because of all the people walking on the sidewalks and all the cars and all the people that put salt to melt the snow in front of the buildings. It gets really cold in New York and also really windy so if you're going to go outside be sure to maybe wear a really fat jacket and some warm gloves with your comfy pants. So yeah that's all.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top