U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:49 AM

917 posts, read 1,704,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryanise View Post
Which farmer's market?

Try going to the one at Union Square. Walk around and look at the prices from the different vendors. Some cost more than others. Once in a while, a vendor may have an end of the day/end of season special when he/she is trying to clear out stock. At least at Union Square there are more options (i.e. vendors) than at the smaller markets.
I went to the small market near Barclay's Center. I always went to the one near Grand Army Plaza a year ago and I thought they were pricy too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Why is this? The efficiency gains of corporate farms are necessary to feed the world. Local farms simply cannot compete in price--the implication of widespread local farms supplanting corporate farms would just be higher food prices for everyone.

I hate stupid food trends which ignore basic economics. Don't even get me started on "fair trade"...
Why are you upset? I was looking at it from a health standpoint. The farther your food has to travel to get to you the less nutrients it has. I also notice that some of my produce is spoiling very quickly. That was my reasoning for buying food local. I probably wouldn't buy everything local but just a few things.

But you brought up a good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 08:35 AM

506 posts, read 840,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
Why are you upset? I was looking at it from a health standpoint. The farther your food has to travel to get to you the less nutrients it has. I also notice that some of my produce is spoiling very quickly. That was my reasoning for buying food local. I probably wouldn't buy everything local but just a few things.

But you brought up a good point.
That isn't really true--it's more about how long the food is on the shelf for. Even food from other countries gets to our markets pretty quickly since food doesn't last forever. And there's no guarantee that the local food is that fresh, either.

I respect your reasoning, though. Concerns about shelf life and freshness are very valid. I take issue more with people who are doing it for "ethical" reasons.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:42 PM

37 posts, read 66,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
I went to the small market near Barclay's Center. I always went to the one near Grand Army Plaza a year ago and I thought they were pricy too.
hershey48, do you mean the farmer's market at Ft Greene Park? I live in the area and work near USQ, so I've been to both markets- the USQ one is infinitely better in variety and price. I remember seeing some greens being sold at the Ft Greene market for $16 a pound!! And since there were only 2 or 3 stalls selling vegetables, people were actually buying it! On the other hand, if you were at USQ market, you'd have at least 5-8 stalls selling vegetables, so you'd be able to comparison shop.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:18 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,099,902 times
[quote=ayier;30737202I remember seeing some greens being sold at the Ft Greene market for $16 a pound!![/quote]

I think I've encountered this vendor at Union Square too. They do it in winter, right? It's grown in some special greenhouse so you can have fresh greens in winter (they say). I too was amazed to see people actually buying it.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:37 PM

917 posts, read 1,704,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayier View Post
hershey48, do you mean the farmer's market at Ft Greene Park? I live in the area and work near USQ, so I've been to both markets- the USQ one is infinitely better in variety and price. I remember seeing some greens being sold at the Ft Greene market for $16 a pound!! And since there were only 2 or 3 stalls selling vegetables, people were actually buying it! On the other hand, if you were at USQ market, you'd have at least 5-8 stalls selling vegetables, so you'd be able to comparison shop.
No they have a few vendors by Barclay center but they are only there on wednesdays. I think they just started selling stuff there. I found out about it on the news. I haven't been to the one in Fort Green Park either.

So far the best one I've been to has been the Borough Hall one.

$16 a lb is crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City