Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 06:53 PM

273 posts, read 672,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
That's probably my main gripe with Astoria...it has zero architectural value...it's just a bunch of ugly, frame/siding boxes with no craftsmanship or historical value. I dunno why that is....but if that's the biggest problem, I would say the place is great!
Do you drive or walk mostly on foot? Because I agree that Queens has some dull areas and not all of it is pretty but come on, let's take the Bronx, huge oversized brick buildings for miles and miles looking like endless prisons in some spots? Say Jerome Ave near Yankee Stadium? Or the area at the end of 2 and 5, and Coop City, oh and what about those lovelies in Hunts Point?

What beautiful architecture in the Bronx that has not been saved is in need of work - the Grand Concourse does have some beautiful buildings but in disrepair.

Astoria ugly? Well then you could the same for huge swaths of East New York, Bensonhurst, northeastern sections of Bronx (say Pelham Bay around Bruckner).

So, let me offer you something to enjoy - 30th Ave in the 40s and 34th Ave some lovely yellow red brick terrazzo buildings that were considered in the early 20th century models of affordable housing. How about the tudors that make up Forest Hills Gardens or the lovely house in Kew Garden Hills, Jamaica Estates, portions of College Point, as well as some fine examples of 18th and 19th century brownstones in LIC's historic district, or the historic yellow buildings in Ridgewood. How about several churches in the AIA guide in Astoria - Most Precious Church and the Greek Orthodox churches. or the 19th century Victorian mansion, Steinway Mansion? I know it ain't parts of Harlem or has the gigantic richness of architecture as Washington Heights or some parts of Brooklyn or a few of the popular areas of Manhattan does (Washington Heights I am finding is area is overfull of treasures)

To be honest if we want to compare boroughs with fine architecture I am sorry but aside from Manhattan, Brooklyn wins - Brooklyn Heights, northern areas of Park Slope, Clinton Hill, Grand Army Plaza, parts Crown Heights, South Williamsburg, Clinton Hill, Bed-Sty brownstones ... the list goes on ... oh and the oldest Dutch farmhouse is in Brooklyn deep in East Flatbush.

This thread is just silly because all it does is make huge generalizations about boros as I did purposely with the Bronx which does have some beautiful areas.

As for nothing to do in Astoria (and Queens in general), I doubt those who said it have barely touched the surface. Check the thread of Visiting NYC for 8/9 - 8/14 I provide 4 itineraries. Oh and where I live I can walk to the Museum of Moving Image for a premiere, or have beer at Studio Square beer garden or if in the mood for a local artisanal beer go to Sunswick, try Egyptian, Venezualan, Ecuadorian, Columbian, Greek, Italian, Spanish, or Irish fare all within walking distance. Or maybe I am up to performance art - I'll go to Flux Factory north of Queens Plaza and then catch one of the summertime concerts at the Gantries or another night the food and film festival at Socrates Sculpture Park. Maybe I am up for contemporary art - 3 floors of it at Fisher Landau Museum and then I could go up to Astoria Park to enjoy the view. Finally there are about 6 gyms within less than a 5 block radius where I live. For theater there is the Secret Theater in LIC as well as stand-up comedy at a few places in Astoria and LIC. For indie films I could also go to Kew Gardens theater after taking a hike through Willow Park in Flushing Meadows if it is on the weekend. And going further out the nicest beach are in the Rockaways in Queens - from B90 west - with a nice nature preserve on the Rockaways around B 60's. Oh, and if I want to see some of the best aerosol artists in the world - for now at least - I can visit 5POINTX, for mural art Welling Court.

Now I am not a shopaholic which this area will not please if that is your thing. The music scene is growing but it does not comp[are with Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn. And finally the architecture does have this polyglot quality - especially in Western Queens. But I like it, and I realize it is not for everyone.

Gawd Sobro I would not expect this of you as you usually give decent insider info on the Bronx and elsewhere. PM seriously and I will show you around. Here is my tumblr photoblog showing Astoria and other areas of the city. Bronx unfortunately is not represented YET, but will be soon. If you want to guide me on a photo taking tour, please PM me.

Last edited by astroia 34567; 07-31-2013 at 07:02 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 07:03 PM

Ah I get what you are doing Sobro, playing the contrarian. What for may I ask? I fell into your ruse for Queens.

I think I have an idea, and if correct well then bravo with your reverse psychology.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:05 PM

206 posts, read 294,446 times
I'll take Roosevelt Ave with its bachata and salsa blaring past halal carts and taco trucks under the screeching 7 train over Bedford Ave with its cupcakes and beards every day of the week.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:06 PM

108 posts, read 209,851 times
Sobro stop with the trolling threads

Old 07-31-2013, 07:19 PM

Default For SoBro only 1/112 of the Bronx is salvagable

I hope you all realize I am not serious at all, tons of great stuff in the Bronx. Just a touché to SoBro.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:26 PM

Agree (somewhat, I do like cupcakes sometimes) Abe but SoBro I think is trolling for a point and I started a thread like his.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:47 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Sobro why u giving me so much work. U really think I feel like deleting all these dumb threads? I'm trying to watch Chefmaster....smh

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-31-2013, 08:03 PM

10 posts, read 20,229 times
I live in Richmond Hill and I'm dying of boredom. There is nothing to do here. There are some nice houses over here but some of the immigrants are renovating the houses with ugly shiny gates, white bricks, and pink marble surfaces. Me want gentrification!

Old 07-31-2013, 08:10 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I've met very few Caribbean doctors. They do the bottom jobs at the hospital. For that matter, the times I;d been at firms like Goldman Sachs, the receptionists and the janitors were Caribbean. Here in the North Bronx all the cab drivers are Caribbean, and a lot of people work in small businesses where they probably make the minimum wage.

In short, stop bull****ting and claiming wealth you don't have. The reason why the North Bronx has a lot of Caribbeans is because they can't afford to live CLOSER to Manhattan.
You're looking at the wrong borough, the West Indian families with $$ live in Queens

Old 07-31-2013, 08:23 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroia 34567 View Post
I hope you all realize I am not serious at all, tons of great stuff in the Bronx. Just a touché to SoBro.
Sobroguy is pretty much spamming/trolling. Best to ignore him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City