U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:25 PM

422 posts, read 688,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
That's probably my main gripe with Astoria...it has zero architectural value...it's just a bunch of ugly, frame/siding boxes with no craftsmanship or historical value. I dunno why that is....but if that's the biggest problem, I would say the place is great!
Proof you don't know what you're talking about. Astoria has quite diverse architecture...

EDIT: Just realized Sobro is trolling...

Old 07-31-2013, 09:26 PM

14,982 posts, read 17,534,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
You're looking at the wrong borough, the West Indian families with $$ live in Queens
Wanted to rep you but I have to spread it around.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:27 PM

6,926 posts, read 9,083,203 times
/\/\

If caribny's numbers are correct then it's indisputable that Caribbeans indeed have higher HH income and home ownership rates than AAs. Don't bother arguing facts against NYwriter. He takes offense at any suggestion that there are minorities that are richer than his own AA group.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:31 PM

11,273 posts, read 5,817,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I spend a lot of time traveling. I'm in Queens about 4 days a week for business. I must say, Queens is a sad sight to behold. Besides the extreme northern sections, its really a decayed borough. This is why I support gentrification. If you cannot take care of where you live, others will move in and do it instead. You know that old saying "don't crap where you eat?"

Do you guys think its safe to say that the QN is the most rundown borough?
Queens is a very dirty borough with really bad architecture. The only places here with good architecture are Ridgewood, that one street in LIC, parts of Jackson Heights and parts of Forest Hills. But there are many redeaming qualities to Queens. Most importantly is that you can have any type of cuisine you want, and it's just a bus ride away.

Also if you think that Queens is boring, I guarantee you haven't spent a minute in Nassau or Westchester

Old 07-31-2013, 09:56 PM

853 posts, read 816,319 times
Don't get me wrong, I love my neighborhood, but aesthetically pleasing it is not. Look down almost every street and you will find a mixture of architecture. From ugly as hell apartment buildings, to beautiful pre-war co-ops with garden courts. Its a mix and match mess that results in an ugly overall aesthetic for the neighborhood. Just check out the blog Astoria Ugly, and you'll see what I mean.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,899,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Queens is a very dirty borough with really bad architecture. The only places here with good architecture are Ridgewood, that one street in LIC, parts of Jackson Heights and parts of Forest Hills. But there are many redeaming qualities to Queens. Most importantly is that you can have any type of cuisine you want, and it's just a bus ride away.
This is what the average side block in Queens looks like-

This is Brooklyn-

Tell me which borough is more attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or