U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,519,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
I spend a lot of time traveling. I'm in the Bronx about 3 days a week for deliveries. I must say, the Bronx is a sad sight to behold. Besides the extreme northern and eastern sections, its really a decayed borough. This is why I support gentrification. If you cannot take care of where you live, others will move in and do it instead. You know that old saying "don't crap where you eat?"

Do you guys think its safe to say that the BX is the most rundown borough?
Well, obviously the Bronx is [generally] the most run-down borough. This isn't even debatable and I never even knew that some people thought otherwise..

BUT I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's comparable to a "3rd world country". The reality is that almost all of the Bronx still has access to clean water, reliable electricity, sanitation, sewers and "adequate" shelter.

I agree with your statement about gentrification. If your worried about being priced out of "your neighborhood" then there are so many ways to increase your income earning potential where you can afford to stay.

BUT you must also keep into account that most people in low-income NYC communities are renters and it's actually the renters who are responsible for upkeep of the property; so you can't really blame the residents for an area looking like trash.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 07-24-2013 at 09:00 PM..

Old 07-24-2013, 09:11 PM

1,682 posts, read 2,626,670 times
Hopefully an admin closes this thread, probing for argument.

3rd world is a silly term to begin with. The world is not that simple.

The Bronx has significant social problems in certain areas, but so do the other boroughs. Yes, a greater percentage of the borough contains these pockets, but so what.

For all the cons, I can counter you with pros. From diverse housing stock, excellent mass transit, walkability, diversity. The Bronx has a lot going for it.

The Bronx has improved dramatically and will continue to do so based on current trends.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:12 PM

690 posts, read 771,941 times
by that logic 3/4 of nyc is a 3rd world country, stop pickin on da bx

Old 07-24-2013, 09:21 PM

19,136 posts, read 32,681,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
So do Pakistan and Colombia. So what?

Marne-la-Vallée near Paris

Quoted for fun.
So now you compare the Bronx to Pakistan and Colombia? Get real.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-24-2013, 09:40 PM

774 posts, read 1,358,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So now you compare the Bronx to Pakistan and Colombia? Get real.
Not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse or what. Your remark was that the Bronx could not possibly be 'third-world' since it has electricity and running water.

My rejoinder simply demonstrated that these services do not confer third-world status or the lack thereof.

The truth is that all countries have good areas and bad, just as the Bronx does.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:46 PM

10,064 posts, read 9,313,800 times
Quote:
So do Pakistan and Colombia. So what?

Marne-la-Vallée near Paris

Quoted for fun.
Ok then, I'll rephrase what I said to "Anywhere in the United States". There, happy? And I've seen both French and Belgian slums and not all of them are pretty. Same can be said for London. Maybe they're not the monolithic buildings known as PJs and some have pretty facades, but that's about the only difference.

For the most part, lower income housing developments in major U.S. cities and many countries around the world are downright depressing looking. The Bronx doesn't have a corner on the market for that. The topic creator makes it seem like the Bronx is somewhat unique to the Bronx.

And you can quote me all you like. I don't care.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:51 PM

774 posts, read 1,358,169 times
Default Chill out....at your leisure :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

The topic creator makes it seem like the Bronx is somewhat unique to the Bronx.

And you can quote me all you like. I don't care.
Consider it done

Old 07-24-2013, 10:02 PM

10,064 posts, read 9,313,800 times
Quote:
Consider it done
Whatever floats your boat, hombre. I think my point was pretty clear.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:18 PM

3,336 posts, read 3,126,190 times
N o w I u n d e r s t a n d w h y Grosvenor bro declared that Riverdale is Riverdale...

Old 07-24-2013, 10:48 PM

14,795 posts, read 17,410,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Then why are you still here. NYC is not the most beautiful or the cleanest city in the world, but it doesn't pretend to be either. Some places are run down, but some places are also truly beautiful. To say the whole city looks like crap means either you don't know the city really well or you just hate the city, either way, it obvious you should leave as soon as possible. You are not cut out for living in NYC.
As true Native New Yorker I can put up with that crap looking like crap, apparently you cant, so you gtfoh. Just as long as it is not my home, attire or car and the ones zi love and care for don't look like crap, Im good. The borough named the Bronx is my home and my birth. Im very proud to be a Bronxite, comparing the Bronx to the 3rd world shows the op has a lack of thought and knowledge of travel. Hell the Bronx is alot better than most places like Detroit for example. As for me not knowing the city well, this morning coming in from LI on my way to to the BX, I made a detour in LIC for breakfast, the area looks nice but still to over priced for what its worth, especially being next to an rail yard.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-24-2013 at 10:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or