Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 12:40 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
because it's getting too expensive to live anywhere
and that is very stressing and depressing.
Doesn't seem that way. I see plenty of Black and Hispanic people still in the Bronx. Someone mentioned that Dominicans for example are moving to the Bronx because it's cheap. I really can't tell what's going on. Are Black people leaving the Bronx moving to the Bronx or what? I believe the Hispanic population is growing but supposedly the Black population decreased so then where are they going?

Old 07-25-2013, 01:31 PM

8,688 posts, read 11,076,893 times
another thread to humor me for the day.

I remember years ago when I traveled to other states....some people would ask me if everyone in nyc gets mugged in the subway or if everyone gets raped in central park.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
another thread to humor me for the day.

I remember years ago when I traveled to other states....some people would ask me if everyone in nyc gets mugged in the subway or if everyone gets raped in central park.
HA! Back in the old days though, the subways weren't as safe as they are today and Central Park wasn't always as safe either. Remember when those gang of Black and Hispanic men raped that White woman there?

Old 07-25-2013, 02:37 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Doesn't seem that way. I see plenty of Black and Hispanic people still in the Bronx. Someone mentioned that Dominicans for example are moving to the Bronx because it's cheap. I really can't tell what's going on. Are Black people leaving the Bronx moving to the Bronx or what? I believe the Hispanic population is growing but supposedly the Black population decreased so then where are they going?
Two generations ago the South Bronx was mainly Italian, Jewish and Irish, they all moved and were replaced by Blacks and Puerto Ricans, and now Blacks and Puerto Ricans are leaving the South Bronx except for the ones that remain in NYCHA complexes. Blacks in the Bronx are moving towards the NE section of the Bronx while Puerto Ricans are moving to the East Bronx. Many Dominicans from Washington Heights are moving to the West Bronx especially since landlords there take section8, I heard plenty of landlords in the heights stop taking section 8 forcing residents to move across the river. South Bronx will end up being majority Mexican and Dominican probably in a few years or so. Even on my block here in Mott Haven there are more Mexicans and Dominicans than Blacks and Ricans

Old 07-25-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Two generations ago the South Bronx was mainly Italian, Jewish and Irish, they all moved and were replaced by Blacks and Puerto Ricans, and now Blacks and Puerto Ricans are leaving the South Bronx except for the ones that remain in NYCHA complexes. Blacks in the Bronx are moving towards the NE section of the Bronx while Puerto Ricans are moving to the East Bronx. Many Dominicans from Washington Heights are moving to the West Bronx especially since landlords there take section8, I heard plenty of landlords in the heights stop taking section 8 forcing residents to move across the river. South Bronx will end up being majority Mexican and Dominican probably in a few years or so. Even on my block here in Mott Haven there are more Mexicans and Dominicans than Blacks and Ricans
So why the different trends for the Puerto Ricans vs the Blacks? Are the Puerto Ricans "moving up" so to speak vs the Blacks? I've heard that NE section of the Bronx is poor.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:52 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
So why the different trends for the Puerto Ricans vs the Blacks? Are the Puerto Ricans "moving up" so to speak vs the Blacks? I've heard that NE section of the Bronx is poor.
What does race have to do with poverty, many are just moving up the ladder and moving towards better housing options.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
What does race have to do with poverty, many are just moving up the ladder and moving towards better housing options.
I'm asking because historically Blacks and Puerto Ricans lived together in the more poverty stricken areas of the city, especially in the Bronx.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:24 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,178 times
Quote:
As long as the Bronx has hoards of public housing it will always be run down. Look where the nice parts of the Bronx are... In isolated pockets where there are few to no housing projects... Woodlawn, Morris Park, City Island, Pelham Bay, Country Club, parts of Throggs Neck, Edgewater, Schuylerville, etc. These are the few good parts of the Bronx and they all relatively isolated or further out and generally more suburban in feel and even those are changing as more White flight occurs.

The day that Riverdale has housing projects is the day that I would move immediately!! The old saying There goes the neighborhood rang true with most of the Bronx years ago.
Public housing means jack. A combination of amenities most importantly transportation means everything. There are areas in the South Bronx that offer prime amenities yet need time. There's public housing all over this city, even in some of the most prime neighborhoods.

There are also already plenty of nice places to live even in the South Bronx. A lot of opinions on here are outdated or completely exaggerated.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Public housing means jack. A combination of amenities most importantly transportation means everything. There are areas in the South Bronx that offer prime amenities yet need time. There's public housing all over this city, even in some of the most prime neighborhoods.

There are also already plenty of nice places to live even in the South Bronx. A lot of opinions on here are outdated or completely exaggerated.
Is that right? Then I'm sure you're living in them OR right next to them right? Otherwise how would you be so sure? There are housing projects across the city that continue to be plagued by crime and violence and those my friend are the facts.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:46 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Is that right? Then I'm sure you're living in them OR right next to them right? Otherwise how would you be so sure? There are housing projects across the city that continue to be plagued by crime and violence and those my friend are the facts.
It's not the housing projects as such. In that sense the poster is right.
I have come to understand that people are placed in NYCHA units strategically. This means that real anti-socials will never be placed in Chelsea, where perhaps they once were - although, not in my life time.
In many of the Harlem complexes, this is just now coming into practice given development interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City