U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:38 PM

7,950 posts, read 6,513,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Could not agree more, with the sentiment.
People throw this around far too often.
Too many Americans rely on the media to tell them what a third world country really is. While that says a lot of good things about our country, it leaves most people without a true understanding of the term. Thankfully (or not), I learned very early on what third world really means, in more than one country too.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:05 PM

23,292 posts, read 16,158,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
So why the different trends for the Puerto Ricans vs the Blacks? Are the Puerto Ricans "moving up" so to speak vs the Blacks? I've heard that NE section of the Bronx is poor.

There is a very bad area in the NE Bronx called Edenwald, full of Public housing and all. Other parts of the North Bronx are better and have homeowners or home renters with cars. Depends on where you go. But yes, Edenwald is TERRIBLE.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Doesn't seem that way. I see plenty of Black and Hispanic people still in the Bronx. Someone mentioned that Dominicans for example are moving to the Bronx because it's cheap. I really can't tell what's going on. Are Black people leaving the Bronx moving to the Bronx or what? I believe the Hispanic population is growing but supposedly the Black population decreased so then where are they going?
I think a lot of Puerto Ricans and Black Americans have left the Bronx, as a lot of Caribbean, Africans ,and Black Hispanics (Dominicans, Panamanians, etc), as well as Mexicans, Central Americans, etc. have moved in.

Wakefield for example has a lot of Jamaicans, Trinidadians, Dominicans, etc. Some Blacks and Puerto Ricans if they moved up socioeconomically moved to the suburbs or other nicer areas. Others have moved into small towns in upstate NY or PA. And still others have moved to the South.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Is that right? Then I'm sure you're living in them OR right next to them right? Otherwise how would you be so sure? There are housing projects across the city that continue to be plagued by crime and violence and those my friend are the facts.
Not just crime. Its even worse than crime and violence. Lefrak City is privately owned, but because it had so many Section 8 tenants, it defacto became the projects (its a bunch of tall high rise buildings). I recall visiting people in there in the 90s and crackhead scum pissed and crapped in the building). A friend of mine got mauled by a crackhead's pit bull.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:03 PM

2,228 posts, read 2,959,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
I spend a lot of time traveling. I'm in the Bronx about 3 days a week for deliveries. I must say, the Bronx is a sad sight to behold. Besides the extreme northern and eastern sections, its really a decayed borough. This is why I support gentrification. If you cannot take care of where you live, others will move in and do it instead. You know that old saying "don't crap where you eat?"

Do you guys think its safe to say that the BX is the most rundown borough?
I agree that my former Boro has become downtrodden but 3rd world? NO. I would suggest traveling upstate to some rust belt cities/towns and other countries. Go check out the slums in the D.R. and Brazil or La perla in PR. They actually make East NY and Brownsville look safe.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:12 PM

559 posts, read 754,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
I agree that my former Boro has become downtrodden but 3rd world? NO. I would suggest traveling upstate to some rust belt cities/towns and other countries. Go check out the slums in the D.R. and Brazil or La perla in PR. They actually make East NY and Brownsville look safe.
Glad to see you still have some Bronx pride in you. Many of the posters on this thread have resorted to hyperbole. And for what purpose?

Old 07-26-2013, 03:22 PM

6,963 posts, read 5,468,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
I If you cannot take care of where you live, others will move in and do it instead.

Do you guys think its safe to say that the BX is the most rundown borough?

Funny guy. Do you know that almost all of those apartment buildings are NOT owned by people who live in those communities?

Old 07-26-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Third world country? The Bronx has electricity and indoor plumbing last time I checked.

As do most 3rd world countries/

Old 07-26-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I agree with your statement about gentrification. If your worried about being priced out of "your neighborhood" then there are so many ways to increase your income earning potential where you can afford to stay.

NYC is generating huge numbers of low income jobs in retail. hotels and the restaurant sectors.

Now I wonder what all those well heeled people will do if there are no kitchen woprkers to feed them? Or sales people to sell them items?

These folks cannot fly in every day from South Carolina, or even from Philly.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I think a lot of Puerto Ricans and Black Americans have left the Bronx, as a lot of Caribbean, Africans ,and Black Hispanics (Dominicans, Panamanians, etc), as well as Mexicans, Central Americans, etc. have moved in.

Wakefield for example has a lot of Jamaicans, Trinidadians, Dominicans, etc. Some Blacks and Puerto Ricans if they moved up socioeconomically moved to the suburbs or other nicer areas. Others have moved into small towns in upstate NY or PA. And still others have moved to the South.

AfroCaribbean migrants in the NYC area have HIGHER household incomes than do African Americans. So any notion of AAs moving ahead of ACs is FALSE. Indeed blacks in Queens have higher incomes than do whites living there largely because of the heavy Caribbean immigration to neighborhoods like Rosedale.

What is happening is that earlier waves of AAs and ACs have been replaced by newer waves, mainly ACs and Africans, as there is virtually no immigration of AAs to NYC these days. The Africansthere are mainly Nigerians, who are very educated and are mainly professionals. Not the less educated Francophones from Mali, Senegal or Guinea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or