U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 06:39 AM

20,254 posts, read 26,621,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
There was an exhibition at MoMA about such housing plans, "Home Delivery."
Really interesting.

Saw it, two of them actually.
Did you tour the houses in the parking lot a couple doors West of the museum on 54th. The one with the grate flooring was a hoot...how would you ever go barefoot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 09:06 AM

7,199 posts, read 5,563,633 times
Modular is great, they can build everything in a climate controlled factory with no unexpected delays and then just connect everything on site. The quality is just as good and probably even better, designed by respected architects. Eventually you can cut out the unions and save 50% on the construction costs. I can't begin to tell you how great this idea is

Old 07-26-2013, 09:33 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,871,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Saw it, two of them actually.
Did you tour the houses in the parking lot a couple doors West of the museum on 54th. The one with the grate flooring was a hoot...how would you ever go barefoot?
Yes, I did tour many times, thought the presentations were quite amazing !

Old 07-27-2013, 05:25 AM

Did you see the old, late 40's "tin house" they had inside the museum.
I found it most interesting but thought of the unbelievable energy costs that would be associated with such a house today.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:33 AM

5,488 posts, read 5,709,939 times
That is an interesting concept. It does seem like can be built faster this way. And that is an extremely helpful for developers.

But do they drill the holes and put the plumbing and electrical, and heating after they stack everything? Also how well insulated from the outside is the whole thing? Would there not be lots seams for air to travel through if some of the boxes have doorways leading into each other in order to form an apartment? I guess they could line the outsides of each box with fiber glass insulation, and they can coat the outside of the finished complex with something. Okay I guess that works.

And they do have to fit on top of trucks. So imagine, the boxes may be a bit thin.

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; 07-27-2013 at 09:41 AM..

Old 07-27-2013, 11:04 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,568,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
The first one I ever saw go up was just AMAZING. I lived next door to the construction of a 400 unit 35 story condominium complex. For nearly a year or more one tractor trailer after another carried in concrete boxes that were hoisted up and bolted together. A studio apartment was one box, a convertible three bedroom place was 3 boxes. Some of the boxes came with terraces.

The place was finished in 1991 and inside it is quite beautiful...outside it still looks like unfinished concrete.

It is the James Monroe at Newport, the first of the eventual 3 condos. Of the 18 towers that make up the place, only this one was modular and it's real beauty is the SILENCE that you can only get with concrete separating apartment on all sides.
I'm not sure whether I've been inside that particular Newport building, but I've definitely been inside some of the "Presidential" buildings. If the Monroe looks like the others, it's pretty ugly and dated on the inside, though it might have been attractive in 1991. But the outside has always looked terrible. The biggest problem for prefab is getting the facade to be aesthetically pleasing; the interiors shouldn't be any different from a contemporaneous non-prefab.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:55 AM

7,037 posts, read 3,663,630 times
The first example of modular pre-fab I saw was the Habitat 67 at the Montreal expo. Sort of Flintstones meets the Jetsons. But I liked the looks of it and was pretty excited thinking this could be the wave of the future for urban housing. But it doesn't seem to have really caught on. I haven't seen any in my area (DC metro).

Last edited by r small; 07-27-2013 at 12:06 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
But do they drill the holes and put the plumbing and electrical, and heating
after they stack everything?
They come with all the plumbing and wiring already installed, ready to be connected to mains. Bathroom module comes with tub shower sink and toilet already installed, all drywall in place.
They really are delivered almost done.

Think of buying a trailer home...and piling one atop the other.

Quote:

thinking this could be the wave of the future for urban housing
More in Europe than the U.S. where the standard is still a "stick built" house.
Personally I think modular are built to much tighter standards but until they become commonplace they will not enjoy the price advantage they should have.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:16 PM

470 posts, read 748,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
But, the rents will be a lot of money for a very little space.

Lets see, most probably a living room / kitchen / dining room combination space, which is probably the size of a regular living room, with kitchen cabinets squashed into the corner, or along one wall.
and a separate bedroom, a bathroom with no windows and maybe 2 closets .

lets see how good I am.

Oh, and they will rent for over a thousand dollars a month, maybe more. I definetely do not see it as less.
So basically you are just assuming a bunch of stuff for no particular reason besides your personal skepticism and pessimism. Okay.

We have no way of knowing what the floor plans or prices will be like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or