U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-25-2013, 01:38 PM
 
1,431 posts, read 2,096,712 times
Reputation: 1169

Advertisements

And for an idea of how generous at least some judges can still be to tenants in these primary residence cases, see: 'Sushi defense' saves East Village*tenant from*raw-deal eviction* - NY Daily News from last fall.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2013, 01:39 PM
 
Location: New York
12 posts, read 30,837 times
Reputation: 12
Ahh I see, so you "Harlem Resident" are bitter because you witnessed people benefitting in a way that you were unable to back in the 90's. You already had an opinion about rent stabilization and people who live in rent stabilized apartments before you even read my story. Okay it makes sense. In that case I will say have a good day to you and Mr. Babo (Who believes all young adults should scrounge off their parents and loved ones for the entirety of this economic recession).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 01:45 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,822,965 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNYMeal View Post
Ahh I see, so you "Harlem Resident" are bitter because you witnessed people benefitting in a way that you were unable to back in the 80's. You already had an opinion about rent stabilization and people who live in rent stabilized apartments before you even read my story. Okay it makes sense. In that case I will say thanks but no thanks for the advice to you and Mr. Babo, who believes all young adults should scrounge off their parents and loved ones for the entirety of this economic recession.
Not exactly ...
That's actually funny.

You are right about one thing. I work with too many legitimately disenfranchised people not to be really angry about people who work the system. I am also quite familiar with people who have "stories."
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 01:56 PM
 
Location: New York
12 posts, read 30,837 times
Reputation: 12
Actually Harlem Resident, I am from New York. I am also a 22 year old whose family have struggled for most of my life. Actually I don't believe I need to prove to you that I "deserve" a rent stabilized apartment. Nor do I believe that my going away for a year to work, warrants me losing my apartment. I made a stupid mistake by trusting someone who I thought was a friend because she was also struggling. In any case I have learned that lesson and have learned more about NYC's housing laws because of this incident. I had no reason to study landlord tenant law before now. I'm grateful for the newfound knowledge at least. I'd appreciate it if you held back on the preconceived notions because I made this thread to get help, not for mudslinging. Although if you chose not to, it's your prerogative.

Last edited by NewNYMeal; 07-25-2013 at 03:02 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 01:58 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,822,965 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
And for an idea of how generous at least some judges can still be to tenants in these primary residence cases, see: 'Sushi defense' saves East Village*tenant from*raw-deal eviction* - NY Daily News from last fall.
Not a good example, that is to say, for the topic here.

It IS a good example of the lengths to which some landlords will go to prove this, even (especially ?) if unjustly.

The woman actually did live there. I know that story. The landlord completely trumped up the claim. Downtown, who knows where else, they do this every day. They have nothing to lose, that's why, unless the tenant files a harassment claim in response and who has the money and time to see that through.

This is a rare instance of justice, probably why they ran the story - to give people the idea that the courts are just.

Whereas here, we have someone who lived in the apartment for ... four years ? at most ? Read the original post carefully.

Then "yada yada yada" and I am taking "my" apartment back.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 02:00 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,822,965 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNYMeal View Post
Actually Harlem Resident, I am from New York. I am also a 22 year old woman of color whose family have struggled for most of my life.
And "woman of color" has what, exactly, to do with anything ?

FYI - most people have struggled most of their lives. And few people who are struggling have the luxury of taking a year away for an internship.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 02:01 PM
 
1,431 posts, read 2,096,712 times
Reputation: 1169
Harlem resident, with respect, I think you missed some of the key details in the original post.

The OP's family had lived there for 8 years. Her parents moved. She, as her parents' child, has succession rights.

If you read the original post it's also clear that she lived in that apartment with her family from age 14 or so--making it somewhat puzzling that you would assume she's not from New York.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 02:05 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,822,965 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Harlem resident, with respect, I think you missed some of the key details in the original post.

The OP's family had lived there for 8 years. Her parents moved. She, as her parents' child, has succession rights.

If you read the original post it's also clear that she lived in that apartment with her family from age 14 or so--making it somewhat puzzling that you would assume she's not from New York.
What I said was - and as a person who works with people and landlord trouble every day - it is truly perplexing that someone in the system has no idea how it works. Everyone I encounter knows nearly as much as I do, because it is about survival - their own. What they sometimes do not know is how to best protect their rights, and they often need the encouragement and support to do so.

Again, I think there is more to this than is being told.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 02:14 PM
 
Location: New York
12 posts, read 30,837 times
Reputation: 12
And what does your opinion have to do with anything?

Luxury?! You suggest that I'm lying. I nearly wrote a biography and that still not enough for you?! Haha. You don't know me. You claim to understand people who are disenfranchised yet you can't understand how someone could not have enough money to pay their rent and/or why so many young people today are being forced to take unpaid internships and/or juggling multiple gigs with the hopes of one day maybe possibly getting offered a full-time job with no benefits. I've checked out your past comments throughout this site and your sense of self importance is astounding. It's clear you don't have anything of use to share here. Just anger and ill-will from one post to the next. This is the last comment I will make in reference to anything you say. All the best.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 02:21 PM
 
Location: West Harlem
6,886 posts, read 7,822,965 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNYMeal View Post
And what does your opinion have to do with anything?

Luxury?! You suggest that I'm lying. I nearly wrote a biography and that still not enough for you?! Haha. You don't know me. You claim to understand people who are disenfranchised yet you can't understand how someone could not have enough money to pay their rent and/or why so many young people today are being be forced to take unpaid internships with the hopes of one day maybe possibly getting offered a part time job with no benefits. I've checked out your past comments throughout this site and your sense of self importance is astounding. It's clear you don't have anything of use to share. Just anger and ill-will from one post to the next. This is the last comment I will make in reference to anything you say. All the best.
If you thought that taking the time to research someone on city data was a priority, you will probably not attain the expertise you would need to be successful in housing court. Or to otherwise resolve your situation.

No wonder we have such a hard time hiring for entry-level positions and paid internships.
And the positions are there.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top