U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 02:31 AM

2,269 posts, read 2,216,071 times

Advertisements

In Kew Garden Hills (in Queens), there has or had traditionally been a concentration of Orthodox Jews and their associated businesses, schools, houses of worship, et al. It used to be that the neighboring Fresh Meadows neighborhood was also well represented in this regard. Is it still so? I'm not sure (Fresh Meadows has become notably more diverse in ethnic, racial, and nationality makeup over the years to the present day).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 08:04 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,556,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
The point is that it's all Williamsburg. The original statement was that Williamsburg has a concentrated orthodox Jewish population, which is correct. Correcting the person who said that by saying that it isn't Williamsburg, but "South Williamsburg", is, for that reason, incorrect in itself.
Neighborhoods can split for a variety of reasons. They're not absolute and eternal. Sharp demographic differences are one of the reasons neighborhoods might split up. South Williamsburg is very much a different neighborhood than Northside, Southside or East Williamsburg these days. (Well, it really has been a different neighborhood for a long time.)

Old 07-27-2013, 01:39 PM

30,358 posts, read 31,228,041 times
Forest Hills and Rego Park (both in Queens) have Orthodox Jewish communities.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:50 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,866,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
In Kew Garden Hills (in Queens), there has or had traditionally been a concentration of Orthodox Jews and their associated businesses, schools, houses of worship, et al. It used to be that the neighboring Fresh Meadows neighborhood was also well represented in this regard. Is it still so? I'm not sure (Fresh Meadows has become notably more diverse in ethnic, racial, and nationality makeup over the years to the present day).
Fresh Meadows is mostly Asian now, however Kew Gardens Hills is very Jewish now, perhaps even more so then before.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:15 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,301,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
Lots of areas all over brooklyn have a very concentrated Jewish population for Orthodox and Has-ids almost like being in a different country. The hot spots are Borough Park, Williamsburg, Crown Heights and Bensonhurst.
For Crown Heights, to clarify, it's only a certain pocket of the neighborhood. Something like Troy Ave-Eastern Pway-Brooklyn Ave-Empire Blvd (the rest of the neighborhood is mostly West Indian). And FWIW, that pocket of Crown Heights still has a lot of West Indians as well.

Back in the day, that whole general area used to be mostly Jewish. Brownsville and East Flatbush used to also be big Jewish enclaves (though I think East Flatbush had more Italians).

Bensonhurst overall isn't really a Jewish area. It's more known for its Italian population, and more recently Chinese population, with a growing Hispanic population as well. But the northern parts closer to Borough Park still have a decent amount.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:39 AM

259 posts, read 301,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Borough Park, Midwood, Ocean Parkway etc. Also spillover into Gravesend, Bensonhurst, and maybe even Sheepshead Bay.
Yes to Sheepshead Bay. There is a Kings Bay Y on Nostrand Avenue near Avenue U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
For Crown Heights, to clarify, it's only a certain pocket of the neighborhood. Something like Troy Ave-Eastern Pway-Brooklyn Ave-Empire Blvd (the rest of the neighborhood is mostly West Indian). And FWIW, that pocket of Crown Heights still has a lot of West Indians as well.

Back in the day, that whole general area used to be mostly Jewish. Brownsville and East Flatbush used to also be big Jewish enclaves (though I think East Flatbush had more Italians).
The Orthodox Jews in Crown Heights are from the Chassidic sect. I don't think that was necessarily true of the Jewish population in Crown Heights or the previously mentioned areas back in the day.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:01 AM

3,039 posts, read 5,736,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Fresh Meadows is mostly Asian now, however Kew Gardens Hills is very Jewish now, perhaps even more so then before.
I was just about to mention this. I've been heading to a movie theater on Main St. near 72nd Drive in Kew Gardens Hills since it's like 7 dollars a movie and 5 dollars on wednesdays and that area is definitely much more Jewish now than it used to be... And Midwood will never change. There are a few hispanics that live in that area but I don't see it ever evolving into anything significant since they are not allowed to buy up any land... A friend of mine was looking to purchase an empty lot next to his building and asked the guy how much for the lot... the answer was 4 million...

Old 07-29-2013, 02:00 PM

259 posts, read 301,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
Neighborhoods can split for a variety of reasons. They're not absolute and eternal. Sharp demographic differences are one of the reasons neighborhoods might split up. South Williamsburg is very much a different neighborhood than Northside, Southside or East Williamsburg these days. (Well, it really has been a different neighborhood for a long time.)
It seems that whenever Wiliamsburg is mentioned now, images of gentrification and hipsters pop up. Those don't represent Willamsburg as a whole; we're talking north of the Willamsburg Bridge.

The Orthodox enclave is primarily south of the Williamsburg Bridge; hence the need for clarification.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:03 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,866,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I was just about to mention this. I've been heading to a movie theater on Main St. near 72nd Drive in Kew Gardens Hills since it's like 7 dollars a movie and 5 dollars on wednesdays and that area is definitely much more Jewish now than it used to be... And Midwood will never change. There are a few hispanics that live in that area but I don't see it ever evolving into anything significant since they are not allowed to buy up any land... A friend of mine was looking to purchase an empty lot next to his building and asked the guy how much for the lot... the answer was 4 million...
That movie theater isn't that great. I went there to see The Purge in June and was surprised at all the graffiti on the seats. Can't beat the prices though.

I know someone who lives in KGH and when I went there mostly everyone around was Jewish, and I saw a decent amount of Hasidic too. They pretty much have the area between Park Drive East and Main Street to themselves. Nice area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or