Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:00 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times

Advertisements

Ugh I'm sorry this happened.

I was robbed about 2 years ago, it was actually 4th of July weekend. I was walking home from the train around 11pm on a part of 8th ave near the meatpacking district (I lived in Chelsea at the time and I was coming home from the L train). I took out my blackberry to send a text and someone literally grabbed it out of my hand. Another guy on the street chased him down and punched him in the face but he still got away. The police came and told me this kind of thing happens a lot and that he probably saw my check my phone on the train and followed me off. I did get a free ride home in the police car.

One thing I did notice, when I would tell people what happened they all had a "Oh if it was me I would have totally dont this, this, and this." At the end of the day it happened to me and not them and it was over so quickly there was no time to react.

I was nervous for the couple of days following. And now when I walk down the street and I see people with their heads down texting, totally oblivious, I see them as moving targets.

Now, if I am walking I step into a store to text or I just wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 10:32 AM

420 posts, read 697,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I don't play that robbing stuff. I work too hard for mines. You gonna have a tough time if you get it from me, I'll tell you that. I know it's not a good mentality to have but I don't care. Why should I give it to these punks.....I got robbed once in my life and they got $80 off me - it was for my Mother's Day gift. Never again. Next time, dude tried to take my chain and I ended up chasing him up the block. He was trying to get away from me! Never again!

Some yougin tried to rob me a couple of weeks ago actually. Late night I was walking through Bushwick and spotted this stocky 20-something standing on the sidewalk on the next block. Immediately I prepared, because in this situation I'm suspicious of EVERYONE I don't know. Especially in the rare occasion that I'm dressed like Creative Black with the newsboy hat and messenger bag and all that, which I was at the time. I was tired and loaded with theanine for anxiety. So I was in the mood to do damage if need be.

When I approached him, he said something like "yow gimme your phone". I stopped right in front of him and said "what phone". We looked at each other. I asked him again... "what phone you tom bout?". I don't know if I was speaking too rough or if the fact that I was so relaxed startled him, but he looked away and I walked right past him and kept it moving. I was long ready to break his snot box if he would've even touched me or started to talk that hood ****.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:09 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,054 times
Oh my GAWD!!
Do you really think I was out there robbing people??
You guys are easy.

FYI....martial arts ain't gonna stop a bullet.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:40 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Always stay alert and trust your instincts. Don't walk around with headphones or checking your phone every 2 mins. Practical knowledge of fighting goes along way.

Nighttime - don't become adventurous and take a new way home.

Like Stag said regardless of your combat experience you can't beat a bullet.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:59 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Always stay alert and trust your instincts. Don't walk around with headphones or checking your phone every 2 mins. Practical knowledge of fighting goes along way.

Nighttime - don't become adventurous and take a new way home.

Like Stag said regardless of your combat experience you can't beat a bullet.
If you pull out a gun that means you cant fight. At least that what it means where I'm from. I dont care. I take that stink ass A train every day to work and I'll be damned if somebody tries to take something from me. I dont play that man. Not being a tough guy or anything but it is what it is. I work for mine!

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-28-2013, 12:31 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
If I don't see a weapon then it's a face full of mace, a knee to the groin, and "feets don't fail me now".

Old 07-28-2013, 01:38 PM

237 posts, read 329,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Oh my GAWD!!
Do you really think I was out there robbing people??
You guys are easy.

FYI....martial arts ain't gonna stop a bullet.
FYI..That's why we practice disarms.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:26 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
I guess there's no right answer, but I suspect my reaction would have been to say, "No, I'm not from around here. Sorry - this is your street? I didn't know."

Old 07-28-2013, 09:16 PM

3 posts, read 4,298 times
This happened right by the flatbush junction, last stop on the 2 train.

And thanks for the advice, and I actually did take martial arts for a few years when Iwas younger but my thought process is I'm not going to try to fight unless that is the last resort. But besides the keeping my phone inside my pocket and my earphones away (which I did), my question was more along the lines of how do you respond to the questions of like "where you from?" "who you know around here" because if you lie and you say "Oh I know that guy on (insert st.)" and he knows no one by that name you're screwed. Or even saying you're not from the area it can make you a target.

And no offense, if this makes me a punk so be it, but I am not going to try to fight just to keep my belongings and possibly die over an iphone. Trust me, I was pissed, I worked hard for what I have too and the fact this low life who I doubt needed to rob to support his family taking what's mine pissed me off but choosing to be the hero and have my family and friends lose me because a phone I couldnt let go is crazy to me. I'll give whatever they ask for without struggle, only time I will ever go against their demands even if they have a weapon is if they try to get me to a secluded place (which almost happened) then that's different.

But today you just don't know. Long gone are the days of "When I was growin' up, this was all the protection you needed (raises fists)". Even if they don't show it immediately it's not hard to while you're fighting with fists quickly pull out a switch blade and stab you.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:07 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
Where you from?

Get all loud and start waving your arms, screaming "oh my god.... get out of the way!!!! Get down!! holeeeee sheeet!!! MOVE MOVE MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOOOOOODDDDDD"'

You'll throw the dirtbag so off, it will give you time to get out of there.

LOL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City