Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 11:00 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Another pointless post by Grosvenor, on cue.

Mention the word "Riverdale" and he's attracted like a fly to dung. Yep!
More like you keep saying you could live in New York, blah blah blah. For someone who lives in Texas, I find it interesting that you spend so much time in the New York City forum. Would you like to tell us about your wonderful "enormous" apartment back in the Bronx from many moons ago? And how foolish of me to not remember that it's not a part of the Bronx with lots of crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 11:49 AM

575 posts, read 672,231 times
My daughter moved here in 2010 from a southern state a couple of years after college. She and her b/f were renting for $1,000 plus the rest of the things you need, and shared 50/50. They moved along with a cousin and share a 2BR, 1 Bath RR. $1,800 but now everything is divided by 3. So, her personal living expenses did not really change. Plus. her job transfer involved more $$.

A long time friend hooked her up with other girl stuff like hair, nails, waxing, retro clothing stores, etc and she was surprised that these costs were no more than she had been paying. Clothing is clothing though her work styles are dramatically different in the north than the south.

Then toss in a bit of success in the workplace and their lifestyle is far better than it was 3+ years ago, and they are still saving money and living in the greatest city in the world.

Point being, OP, is that your friend needs to believe in herself. and make a leap of faith. What if she makes it? What's the worst that can happen if she doesn't? Just go back to Michigan and a sucky economy. Or to Florida and work at Disney. Oh yeah, my child lived 6 weeks on an air mattress while finding the right place to live. Yes, she is a bit picky but has a great best friend. B/f and cuz had commitments and the day they arrived is the day they moved in to their apt.

If I had a choice between Michigan and anywhere else, I would choose anywhere else. No disrespect intended to MIchigan residents.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
A decade ago the job situation was a tad bit better in NYC, but now with gentrification, all these hipster yuppie transplants from the middle of no where coming to NYC as well as Europeans fleeing the reeling Euro as well as Asians and Latin Americans working the lower wage and sometimes undesirable jobs is having a huge impact on hiring locally. A buddy of mines who works for the MTA told me that years ago they would not have so much people applying for jobs, but in this day in age people are applying to work with the MTA in droves and have to wait on a waiting list. He has never seen anything like this before. This is one of my great gripes about NYC and my biggest concern about density, when there is too much people, housing costs go up and jobs become increasingly scarce and if they are jobs the pay is most likely low. So far I have been looking at other states for employment and I have received calls, traveled to NJ, CT and TX for interviews. I'm not a republican or any conservative but in my honest opinion, Rick Perry and Chris Christie are doing something right, cant say the same about Cuomo.
The elephant in the room is that there just aren't enough jobs to absorb the "qualified" people who want them. Mergers, technology, reorganizations and relocations have taken care of that.There used to be 7+ major accounting firms. Now there are 3-4. There used to be Chemical Bank, Chase Manhattan, DLJ, Mfg Hanover etc. - those have all been merged and with that layers of jobs disappeared. Cash management and stock trading have become automated. Jobs requiring number crunching have been moved elsewhere in the US. People keep looking for work but jobs are disappearing. What is left are openings in Think Coffee and Apple Store.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:10 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The "you" that you are using is hypothetical, I presume, because I didn't come to New York City. I'm a native New Yorker.

Not everyone is a foodie and into dining out, but they enjoy food. Personally, I prefer cooking my own food using fresh ingredients. I don't like a lot of oil and sodium in my food and I like to know how it's being prepared.

The topic is about middle classed people. You can live nicely as a middle classed person in this city because you don't have to live in a close in, uber expensive neighborhood in order to enjoy the city. Most of the city is comprised of commuters anyway. Thanks to an efficient transportation system, you can have all of what you've mentioned. Hell, I could have a nice place in Riverdale and pay say, $1200-1600/mo (doable for middle classed people) and commute to Manhattan if I wanted to play. The New York experience isn't province to only those who live in Manhattan or parts of Brooklyn.
Not really, it was just lazy grammar. I should have said "One can come..."

Old 07-30-2013, 12:10 PM

506 posts, read 1,011,336 times
Actually the Apple Store is pretty hard to get a job at. I remember applying to work there the summer between my sophomore and junior years in college and being turned down, but was still able to land a paid banking internship. Lol.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:11 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
My daughter moved here in 2010 from a southern state a couple of years after college. She and her b/f were renting for $1,000 plus the rest of the things you need, and shared 50/50. They moved along with a cousin and share a 2BR, 1 Bath RR. $1,800 but now everything is divided by 3. So, her personal living expenses did not really change. Plus. her job transfer involved more $$.

A long time friend hooked her up with other girl stuff like hair, nails, waxing, retro clothing stores, etc and she was surprised that these costs were no more than she had been paying. Clothing is clothing though her work styles are dramatically different in the north than the south.

Then toss in a bit of success in the workplace and their lifestyle is far better than it was 3+ years ago, and they are still saving money and living in the greatest city in the world.

Point being, OP, is that your friend needs to believe in herself. and make a leap of faith. What if she makes it? What's the worst that can happen if she doesn't? Just go back to Michigan and a sucky economy. Or to Florida and work at Disney. Oh yeah, my child lived 6 weeks on an air mattress while finding the right place to live. Yes, she is a bit picky but has a great best friend. B/f and cuz had commitments and the day they arrived is the day they moved in to their apt.

If I had a choice between Michigan and anywhere else, I would choose anywhere else. No disrespect intended to MIchigan residents.
If I remember correctly that Michigan is one of the top states that are loosing people especially those wit talent, along with Ohio and New York! In this economy one needs to be multi skilled or versed in other subjects of knowledge and see where your skills can take them. Much of the rust belt has deindustrialized and deindustrialized for good. It seems that a 4 year degree is a ticket out of the post industrial rustbelt.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
If I remember correctly that Michigan is one of the top states that are loosing people especially those wit talent, along with Ohio and New York! In this economy one needs to be multi skilled or versed in other subjects of knowledge and see where your skills can take them. Much of the rust belt has deindustrialized and deindustrialized for good. It seems that a 4 year degree is a ticket out of the post industrial rustbelt.
The one good thing that can be said is that NYC for all its troubles is not the rustbelt - not for as long as the gov't sector can employ 500K+ people. It also still has 4 seasons.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:31 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,248,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
You can't just characterize all Europeans the same. Spain was hit extremely hard by the recession and still has some of the worst unemployment in the developed world. Many other countries in Europe are doing just fine, though.
Many European countries are doing just fine, but on the other hand Italy, Greece, Portugal, France have difficulties paying of their debt. Surprisingly some east European countries like Romania and Bulgaria have smaller debts because their standard of living is lower as result of the communist regimes when ppl were kept in poverty.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:34 PM

Germany has already began to struggle, with GDP growth and exports slowing down. With Germany + France + Italy gone, there too goes the bulk of the western european economy. I do not seel large numbers of w-europeans coming to NYC for work though. It looks more like its still home grown that is flooding the job market.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:40 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
More like you keep saying you could live in New York, blah blah blah. For someone who lives in Texas, I find it interesting that you spend so much time in the New York City forum. Would you like to tell us about your wonderful "enormous" apartment back in the Bronx from many moons ago? And how foolish of me to not remember that it's not a part of the Bronx with lots of crime.
I wonder what you'd do if C-D eliminated emoticons. Probably commit hari-kari.

I see you've edited your post, lol. So quick to respond, as usual.

A few things, mon frere:

I don't keep saying that I "could" live in New York. I've lived in New York.

You are right. My apartment was pretty awesome, thank you! Enormous is your word. But, for New York standards, it was pretty large. Though I'm not inclined to live in apartments any longer and probably won't unless I am 70 or something.

And you can think what you want. It was in a safe neighborhood. In the Bronx. The neighborhood was a big draw when I sold it. Whether you think it was good is of no concern to me. I've since left.

BTW, if you continue to be interested in why I spend so much time on a particular forum, then you need to get a hobby. Just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City