Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,099,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALostSoul View Post
The blackmail is part of the most straight forward part of this.
A even simpler example:
I steal your car, You find me and take it back, then email me and say "if you do not pay me 1000 dollars i will report you to the police for the theft of my car" that is straight forward blackmail. Yes I would need to stand trial for the theft but you you be charged with blackmail.

The second part is irrelevant to the case, for your entertainment value I'll tell you details if someone can provide something to help me out here. As in laws that protect against the search and/or protect against using it as evidence.
No, no, no. Your analogies are TERRIBLE. You are not seeing this in a big-picture way. I am. I see if from the point of view of the "primary tenant" (that's the person who holds the lease, not the "landlord" as you sometimes have called this person in other parts of the thread).

If I am the primary tenant, and I allow you to move into one of my rooms, and within the first 3-4 weeks, you STEAL FROM MY NEIGHBORS, I will do my best to make sure you get out. OK, as the hypothetical primary tenant, maybe I'm not that well versed in the law so I don't know that I'm not supposed to threaten to throw out your stuff. But I do know this: I need to GET RID OF YOU. You're a thief and there is a danger to letting you back in the apartment alone for even one second, because who knows what else you will steal or what other things you are capable of if you are mad and not just greedy.

So I send you a threatening email, just to get my point across. I want you out. I need you out. It's not safe for me to be here in this building while you are around. Get out and stay out.

There. That is not at all analogous to someone saying you must pay them $1000 in order for them not to tell that you stole their car. NOT AT ALL!

btw, I love this thread. It's the most interesting one on here lately. So thanks for that. And good luck finding out what the law says about roommate privacy. I tried googling it but didn't come up with a clear answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 09:13 PM

466 posts, read 900,889 times
In this thread: a broke guy who inexplicably goes on two week vacations to CA with his low-rent thief of a girlfriend thinks he is a lawyer, but totally misinterprets the statutes he claims are relevant to his situation.

I've got a huge Schadenfreude boner.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:25 PM

369 posts, read 623,332 times
A better analogy in regards to this situation is someone telling a drug addict to go to rehab or they will tell the police about their drug habit. This is not blackmail; no one is trying to take money from you. Your fiancee is the only thief here. On second thought, you should marry this woman, you're perfect for each other.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:37 PM

5,075 posts, read 4,942,356 times
When one is in love, you forgive your loved one for mistakes big or small, it is part of all creatures nature, not to say it is right but humans do wrong things all the time either individually or as a group.

OP, it is not worth fighting it. Your LL has the high ground given the theft issue which casts a big shadow on your side that will naturally turn the judges against you. They are humans after all and they have a leeway to interpret the law to their own subjections.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:21 PM

12 posts, read 12,586 times
I have nothing against the owner of the building or the owner of the camera. I agree, no argument.
Assuming nothing instigates it, there is little reason for the owner of the camera to bother to press any charges as he has his camera.
I understand the roommate (my landlord) wants me out, I want out. I just CANNOT get out in the time he wants me out,
that is the issue.
The owners are management of some sort and chances are have no clue about what is going on otherwise i agree they would want the entire cast out of the building.
As far as blackmail, telling someone if you go to a psych ward i wont tell the cops on your drug use is different then, leave by tomorrow or i will throw your stuff out. Effectively discarding 10 grand+ of my property.

and sorry, to clarify, this isn't a vacation this is a job and apartment hunt.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:34 PM

900 posts, read 2,370,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALostSoul View Post
I have nothing against the owner of the building or the owner of the camera. I agree, no argument.
Assuming nothing instigates it, there is little reason for the owner of the camera to bother to press any charges as he has his camera.
I understand the roommate (my landlord) wants me out, I want out. I just CANNOT get out in the time he wants me out,
that is the issue.
The owners are management of some sort and chances are have no clue about what is going on otherwise i agree they would want the entire cast out of the building.
As far as blackmail, telling someone if you go to a psych ward i wont tell the cops on your drug use is different then, leave by tomorrow or i will throw your stuff out. Effectively discarding 10 grand+ of my property.
It would be in your best interest to try and work with these people and not be rude or nasty. They have an advantage over you, not only with the theft but also having your stuff. Maybe ask them if they wouldn't mind putting your things in storage, just be prepared to pay the storage cost. You'll have to work out the arrangement w/ them.

You really need to get back here and take care of your business. These people don't care about you or your things. Do you watch Judge Judy, Judge Joe Brown, People's Court? Any of the judge shows? This sort of thing happens all the time. End result of the people suing to recover either their things or monetary value is substantially less than what they paid. Sometimes it's claimed some of the things were never there or wasn't of much value. Whatever the case you'll never recover $10,000 for your things probably more like $1000 if you can prove anything of worth since depreciation is involved.

I thought I could be stubborn, but damn you have me beat. You must be a youngin'. Sometimes life will slap you in the a$$ and teach you a hard lessen, I believe this is one of those times for you OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City