Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 06:03 AM

27 posts, read 36,848 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!

I'm in kind of a doubt here so any advice would be appreciated

So, I'm starting a business which would have to be located on Upper West side, or close to it. But, I would have to have a garage or some other kind of place for my tools. My wife will be looking for a job when we settle since my business at this point is No1.

Of course, we were thinking about living on Upper West Side, but it is a bit expensive+we are not sure if we could find a place on a ground floor with an extra room or with a storage place with that so we are thinking about maybe settling in a decent part of Harlem, safe and clean (it doesn't matter to us, but we are caucasian and my wife likes to walk home after work), or maybe in other boroughs of NY.

I will have a car but it would be for business so my wife would have to depend on public transportation for start.

What would you recommend to us? And how much should we pay for a place like that?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:30 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLastYear View Post
Hey guys!

I'm in kind of a doubt here so any advice would be appreciated

So, I'm starting a business which would have to be located on Upper West side, or close to it. But, I would have to have a garage or some other kind of place for my tools. My wife will be looking for a job when we settle since my business at this point is No1.

Of course, we were thinking about living on Upper West Side, but it is a bit expensive+we are not sure if we could find a place on a ground floor with an extra room or with a storage place with that so we are thinking about maybe settling in a decent part of Harlem, safe and clean (it doesn't matter to us, but we are caucasian and my wife likes to walk home after work), or maybe in other boroughs of NY.

I will have a car but it would be for business so my wife would have to depend on public transportation for start.

What would you recommend to us? And how much should we pay for a place like that?

Thank you!
Why does your business have to be on the UWS? What kind of business is it?

Old 07-30-2013, 07:42 AM

483 posts, read 870,431 times
If you and wife are thinking of living in Upper West Side of Manhattan, consider selling your car.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:33 AM

I will need a car for business, so that is not an option...

What do you think about Harlem and Queens? When you add toll and other transportation costs, wasting time on commuting etc, I don't know if it really pays off living in one of the areas outside Manhattan

Old 07-30-2013, 08:36 AM

506 posts, read 1,011,686 times
Quote:

What do you think about Harlem and Queens? When you add toll and other transportation costs, wasting time on commuting etc, I don't know if it really pays off living in one of the areas outside Manhattan
Queens is probably better than Harlem if you need a garage. Also why does your business have to be on the UWS?

Also what's your budget?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Again, why does your business have to be on the UWS? What kind of business is it?

There wouldn't be tolls coming from Harlem (which is part of Manhattan) or Queens (59th Street bridge is free).

What "pays off" depends on your budget, type of business, etc.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:55 AM

It has to be there because no one does that in mentioned area

I know that there are no tolls from Harlem, but I don't find it safe, maybe I'm wrong. But I didn't know about free 59th St Bridge, thank you

I was thinking about $1500-2000 for start, only for rent, I would like to cut expences for start and later on..well, we'll see...

My wife has a MBS in Logistics and currently is enrolled in PhD-Mech eng (Optimisation etc), so we think that she could find a decent job that pays well, but as I said, for start, we would like to tight our budget, although we do have a decent amount of savings...

Old 07-30-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
It has to be there because no one does that in mentioned area

I know that there are no tolls from Harlem, but I don't find it safe, maybe I'm wrong. But I didn't know about free 59th St Bridge, thank you

I was thinking about $1500-2000 for start, only for rent, I would like to cut expences for start and later on..well, we'll see...

My wife has a MBS in Logistics and currently is enrolled in PhD-Mech eng (Optimisation etc), so we think that she could find a decent job that pays well, but as I said, for start, we would like to tight our budget, although we do have a decent amount of savings...

$1500-2000 is a low budget for UWS.

Obviously you don't want to share the business type with us so it is very difficult to comment on whether an area would be appropriate.

Where are you moving from?

Old 07-30-2013, 09:12 AM

551 posts, read 1,576,208 times
Your wife might have better job prospects at tech companies in New Jersey, which also is more in line with your budget. You might look somewhere like Fort Lee.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:24 AM

I'm moving from Europe, and actually lived in Fort Lee couple a years ago, but it is a bit too suburbian for me. One day, when we start a family it would be a great place to live...

nyc-sport: so your suggestion would be NJ instead Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn? I always thought that she would easly find something near the city comparing to NJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City