Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:23 AM

106,569 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

Thanks ,they do have cars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 08:25 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
our kids are looking into a co-op in howard beach.

except for some shopping once or twice a year we do on crossbay blvd i know little about life their anymore.

how is the neighborhoof holding up and the schools?
Still a very nice neighborhood but shopping is meh. You need a car if you live in HB.

As for schools, well, there aren't many options and for middle school, I believe they all go to JHS 202. High school is where it gets a bit tricky. Also keep in mind the flooding. HB looked like a war zone after Sandy and parts of HB get flooded with big storms due to all the surrounding water.

The airplanes are really annoying too but depending on where you are it's not that bad. You actually get used to it.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:45 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Howard Beach is still a very nice area. I go there often and wanted to move there a few years back when I use to live in Ozone Park [I live in Glendale/Middle Village now]. It consist of 3 areas, Lindenwood [some people don't consider this to be Howard Beach for some reason], Rockwood Park [AKA New Howard], and Old Howard Beach.

Lindenwood consist of mostly 2 family homes in the western portion, and co-op/condos on the eastern section. There is a Waldbaums and small shopping area located right smack in the middle of the neighborhood, between 151 and 153 Avenue, and 82 to 84 street. PS 232 serves this section. The demographics in Lindenwood are slightly more diverse then the rest of HB, but still heavily Italian. Some people told me the area is going downhill since they opened up Linden Blvd, I'm sure it's still nice though. This was the only section of HB that didn't get flooded after Sandy.

Rockwood Park, which is the area west of Cross Bay Blvd south of the Belt Parkway, mostly consist of single family homes. This is the most expensive section of Howard Beach, and is the former residence of John Gotti. There's no stores or delis here outside of Cross Bay Blvd. It is a very quiet and peaceful area. PS 207 is in this section of the neighborhood.

Old Howard is located directly east of Cross Bay [opposite of Rockwood Park], It mainly consist of single family and 2 family homes. There is a small section near the A train called Coleman Square that has a Deli, Chinese restaurant, Pizzeria, Bar, Laundromat etc. PS 146 serves this section of HB. Hamilton Beach is also located to the far easternmost section of the area, directly south of the A train station. It's a small area that looks and feels more like a smaller version of areas like Broad Channel or Gerritsen Beach. This area gets flooded often though, even during normal rainstorms. The Hamilton Beach Volunteer Fire Dept is located here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Still a very nice neighborhood but shopping is meh. You need a car if you live in HB.

As for schools, well, there aren't many options and for middle school, I believe they all go to JHS 202. High school is where it gets a bit tricky. Also keep in mind the flooding. HB looked like a war zone after Sandy and parts of HB get flooded with big storms due to all the surrounding water.

The airplanes are really annoying too but depending on where you are it's not that bad. You actually get used to it.
I don't think a car is that much needed. The A trains stops there and so do the Q52/53 bus lines [two fairly fast and frequent bus lines]. Most residents of the area do have cars though.

PS 207, which is located in Rockwood Park, is a middle school now. High School is a problem, as HB is zoned for John Adams in Ozone Park. Almost non of the kids in HB go there, most parents send their kids to catholic schools [Christ the King, Molloy, St. Francis etc.]

Old 07-31-2013, 02:14 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
In before jcoltrane types out a 38 paragraph novella about racism.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:19 PM

since my daughters husbands family lives there he will spend a few days there and see what life is like and the commute to manhattan before they sign a contract.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:21 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
I'm just wondering with so many other choices, why Howard Beach? I would have thought that a young married couple would be more attratcted to a place like Lynbrook which is a close drive to the beach and has its own LIRR.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:25 PM

they were trying to find a decent area they could buy a co-op vs renting for the same money.

there really was very little in other decent areas that was not way over their budget.

I would have loved to see them in bay terrace by us but they would need to spend 100k more at the least and be prepared to put money in to renovations..

my daughter works in queens so she did not want to start commuting from the island.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Howard Beach is still a very nice area. I go there often and wanted to move there a few years back when I use to live in Ozone Park [I live in Glendale/Middle Village now]. It consist of 3 areas, Lindenwood [some people don't consider this to be Howard Beach for some reason], Rockwood Park [AKA New Howard], and Old Howard Beach.

Lindenwood consist of mostly 2 family homes in the western portion, and co-op/condos on the eastern section. There is a Waldbaums and small shopping area located right smack in the middle of the neighborhood, between 151 and 153 Avenue, and 82 to 84 street. PS 232 serves this section. The demographics in Lindenwood are slightly more diverse then the rest of HB, but still heavily Italian. Some people told me the area is going downhill since they opened up Linden Blvd, I'm sure it's still nice though. This was the only section of HB that didn't get flooded after Sandy.

Rockwood Park, which is the area west of Cross Bay Blvd south of the Belt Parkway, mostly consist of single family homes. This is the most expensive section of Howard Beach, and is the former residence of John Gotti. There's no stores or delis here outside of Cross Bay Blvd. It is a very quiet and peaceful area. PS 207 is in this section of the neighborhood.

Old Howard is located directly east of Cross Bay [opposite of Rockwood Park], It mainly consist of single family and 2 family homes. There is a small section near the A train called Coleman Square that has a Deli, Chinese restaurant, Pizzeria, Bar, Laundromat etc. PS 146 serves this section of HB. Hamilton Beach is also located to the far easternmost section of the area, directly south of the A train station. It's a small area that looks and feels more like a smaller version of areas like Broad Channel or Gerritsen Beach. This area gets flooded often though, even during normal rainstorms. The Hamilton Beach Volunteer Fire Dept is located here.

I don't think a car is that much needed. The A trains stops there and so do the Q52/53 bus lines [two fairly fast and frequent bus lines]. Most residents of the area do have cars though.

PS 207, which is located in Rockwood Park, is a middle school now. High School is a problem, as HB is zoned for John Adams in Ozone Park. Almost non of the kids in HB go there, most parents send their kids to catholic schools [Christ the King, Molloy, St. Francis etc.]
very informative , i passed this on to the kids. thanks

Old 07-31-2013, 05:32 PM

16 posts, read 52,264 times
Its nice, its like a piece of Long Island dropped in nyc

The houses are nice but some ppl just go overboard and the houses just end up looking gaudy and tacky. which ruins the whole block

However- Its in the middle of knowhere and under JFK Airport with not much to do.

(My aunt, uncle and cousins live there)

Last edited by Britney5000; 07-31-2013 at 05:44 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 08:26 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I'm just wondering with so many other choices, why Howard Beach? I would have thought that a young married couple would be more attratcted to a place like Lynbrook which is a close drive to the beach and has its own LIRR.
I honestly would rather live in HB over Lynbrook for the obvious reason being that HB is much cheaper, especially taking either the train or bus instead of the LIRR. Like the above poster said, HB is a lot like living in a Long Island neighborhood but still in Queens and closer to Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City