Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 03:15 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times

Advertisements

Although the packaging says not to drive a car with a bumper protector/bumper bully on the back bumper(that it should be disconnected prior to driving), ive spoken to some people who drive with the bumper protectors and i called the police to ask if that is a traffic violation. they said it is not.

i know it should not be blocking the license plate or the tailpipe

id like to get one does anybody have a bumper protector for the back bumper?

does anybody have one? do they stay on with no problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 03:29 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
We don't have one but we see them all the time flapping behind cars. Looks like they connect on the inside of the trunk so they don't cover the license plate or exhaust. They hang just enough to cover the bumper. One time we were in a shopping center parking lot and a car had one of those but the corner of the bumper on the driver's side was all smashed. We had to laugh at the irony of it.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:10 PM

thanks for the response. i just posted the same thing on the auto board but got an idiotic response about how if i want a scratch free car i should leave NY City...

i just bought one and installed it. it looks good but i can't figure out where to put on the extra velcro (optional for extra grip). so i just left it. nice white color to match the white car

Old 07-27-2013, 10:18 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
You should be able to flip it into the hatch when you start to drive, such that it would protect the bumper from damage caused by the bumper protector if it hits the car while in motion as this could scuff the paint, especially if dirt or debris gets under the bumper protector when in motion, dirt, salt, sand, etc. can cause an issue under something that moves and finely scratches the finish. Also, I would think the instructions say to remove it in order to disclaim any potential liability from misuse as it is intended as a stationary vehicle protection product, not one to remain on the vehicle permanently.

Be sure to push down on the Velcro straps every so often to make sure there is good contact with the carpeting, too, as the protector could work loose from flipping in and out of the hatch/trunk, or from stress while in motion if you drive with it on the bumper, though I would not necessarily recommend driving with one at highway speeds, for example. Low speed around the neighborhood, it should not be an issue, though for me, I'd still flip it into the trunk each time.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-28-2013, 07:41 AM

i called the police to ask them if it was a traffic violation(driving with the protector) and they told me it wasn't

the package says not to drive the car with it on but doesn't mention why or any liability

i agree about not driving it on a long trip and just flipping it back to store it when driving on a highway

some think it looks hideous but i seem to like it. it matches the color of the car (white) and the red lettering (bumperprotection.com) matches the red turn signals. and im tired of touching up the back bumper since it gets nicked constantly

as you can see i want to keep this car as close to showroom condition as much as i can

cheers

Old 07-28-2013, 12:04 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I can understand completely, since there are so many inconsiderate people who cannot parallel park and use your car as a bumper guide and think nothing of scratching the paintwork, or worse, and driving off.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-28-2013, 12:47 PM

273 posts, read 502,945 times
I saw those for the first time in NYC and thought it was pretty lame. Bumpers are made for bumping. Yes, I'm the guy that will parallel park and use your bumper as a guide. I drive a nice German sports car, but I don't get all upset when someone dents my door or scratches my bumper. It's a part of driving in a city.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:50 PM

i had an old Toyota for 20 years which was full of parking nicks on the front and back bumpers but otherwise no dents at all (except when i scraped the side door ugly against a subway pillar coming out of a car wash cos i was tired). so i understand the parking nick situation is normal but i think the protector actually makes the back bumper look better now.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:28 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
i called the police to ask them if it was a traffic violation(driving with the protector) and they told me it wasn't

the package says not to drive the car with it on but doesn't mention why or any liability

The only thing I can think of is that it may get detached. You don't want that flying off and smacking onto the windshield of another car or causing another driver to react and end up causing an accident. I haven't seen any come off but I agree--if you're on a long drive I would take it off.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:09 PM

yes most definitely. and i hope the velcro straps that come out of the car that rest on the top part of the bumper don't weaken from the rain. ugh!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City