U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Who's the best candidate?
Christine Quinn 10 25.64%
Bill de Blasio 8 20.51%
William Thompson 5 12.82%
John Liu 5 12.82%
Sal Albanese 2 5.13%
Anthony Weiner lol 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 06:08 PM

10,285 posts, read 18,512,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
I wrote a lengthy response and accidentally deleted it.

However two major points I personally like:

•Zoning changes

•Liveable streets

Mayor Bloomberg supported his administration. He pushed for bicycle lanes, smoking bans, zoning changes, etc when his experts advised him to do so. He supports necessary changes to support city growth as a whole.

It's undeniable that the city has improved over the past three terms. NYC has a strong diverse economy, more diversity, improving schools, dropping crime, and growing population. Sounds successful to me.
I think he's out of touch with the majority that live in this city IMO. He came out here for Sandy and was booed out of the projects. Every year he participates in Rockaway's St. Patrick's Day parade and the Irish boo him all throughout the event.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 06:09 PM

4,554 posts, read 3,706,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
How long have you worked for the Bloomberg administration, kiddo?

Old 08-08-2013, 06:12 PM

1,683 posts, read 1,393,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
You sure about that?
Understandable gripes about the system.

I just want to add that violent crime in schools is down along with new facilities versus the 1990s. The graduation rate has risen versus the last three terms prior to Bloomberg too.

Is that not an improvement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I think he's out of touch with the majority that live in this city IMO. He came out here for Sandy and was booed out of the projects. Every year he participates in Rockaway's St. Patrick's Day parade and the Irish boo him all throughout the event.
I think too many people in this city are out of touch with what it takes to run a city effectively.

I would rather have an efficient, competent leader that everyone hates rather than a popular dimwit.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:42 PM

4,554 posts, read 3,706,562 times
Quote:
How long have you worked for the Bloomberg administration, kiddo?
Quote:

Old 08-08-2013, 09:49 PM

382 posts, read 265,928 times
Near the beginning of Bloomberg's first term he said he wanted to be remembered as the "education mayor". He may just get that but not the way he wants. City students' scores take dramatic plunge on new standardized tests* - NY Daily News

After 12 years of Bloomberg having control of the schools, Johnny still can't read when Bloomberg doesn't have control of the tests.

Anyone but Quinn!

Old 08-08-2013, 10:31 PM

1,616 posts, read 928,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi guy View Post
Near the beginning of Bloomberg's first term he said he wanted to be remembered as the "education mayor". He may just get that but not the way he wants. City students' scores take dramatic plunge on new standardized tests* - NY Daily News

After 12 years of Bloomberg having control of the schools, Johnny still can't read when Bloomberg doesn't have control of the tests.

Anyone but Quinn!

In retro, we cannot blame bloomberg for this fall. NYC students actually outperformed other NYS students. A fair way to look at the Bloomberg effect is to compare test scores under the same system before and after him.

Does anybody have information regarding how Catholic schools and other private schools perform under this new system? It could be just the the new common tests are overly challenging and really aimed for selecting academic elites and inappropriate for the general education. After all, if one's goal is to be a plumber why would s/he needs to work so hard at school to learn those information that won't be of any use in the future work anyway ?

Old 08-08-2013, 11:11 PM

5,475 posts, read 4,938,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi guy View Post

Anyone but Quinn!
Scully type.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:51 PM

1,401 posts, read 1,014,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
I would rather have an efficient, competent leader that everyone hates rather than a popular dimwit.
And I would rather have a dimwit than a leader who is efficiently and competently carrying out an agenda that I violently oppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City