U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:58 PM

15 posts, read 41,797 times

Advertisements

Simple question...looking sub 2k rent in Astoria, moving from the south for a new job - where might I find a nice apartment building to rent in that has a decent view?

Most of the listings on various sites have some generic BS picture of the skyline, as if that's what it looks like out the window...which I doubt. Are there any streets/areas in particular that are particularly scenic?

Not really jumping at the idea of moving to the NY area, but I figure if I must I'll at least treat myself to a nice place, good neighborhood, with something to look at.

(I've looked through threads here, which all seem to end up in arguments - and the rental listings are all way to lopsided in the interest of renting units out...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 08:38 PM

208 posts, read 409,843 times
If your looking for a place like this your gonna need more than 2k
Thirty-Fifty Apartments | Astoria, Queens

Old 08-02-2013, 08:48 PM

274 posts, read 573,666 times
Hmm Shore Towers you may get a small place for 2000. It is just below the park and looks out to Roosevelt island and parts of Manhattan. The only part with fantastic views is the high rises in Long Island City and they are mostly in the millions. There is more affordable housing being built and in some of the older buildings in LIC you might find something with a decent view. So I would focus more on LIC for Manhattan views.

In Astoria a nice view of Astoria Park and the bridges over the East River may be had around the area but the best ones -will be a higher price.

I live in Astoria but I am unsure what the prices are. Figure this in Queens the average rental for a 1 bdr is 1700 a month - this is the generic run of the mill place. In Astoria you could find something decent to nice for your budget but a view -- not so sure. Realize though you don't need to have an apartment with a view, if you are west of 31st Street it is a 8 - 10 block walk (or less) to the river where you can get great views. It is a short train ride to LIC for great views of Manhattan and Astoria Park can be quite nice with excellent views by the pool.

If I may ask where in the South are you coming from? I ask as Astoria is pretty densely populated. Not as bad as some parts of Manhattan but one of the more densely populated areas of Queens.

I will say that I have worked with Southerners here on temporary work for FEMA. The favorite area for living were the quieter areas of the city - LIC down by Gantry State Park, some areas past 3rd Ave in Midtown East, residential areas in or around downtown Brooklyn. I have been trying to get them to Astoria but NYC is huge and there are tons of attractions here.

Finally realize Astoria , despite its surge in popularity, remains predominantly a working class/middle to upper-middle class neighborhood, with a strong ethnic mix - Egyptian, Moroccan, Eastern European (Croatian, Bosnian, some Macedonian), Italian, Irish, Bangladeshi, Brasilian, Columbian, and even some Argentinian and Tibetian. This is along with the large population of Greeks and Cyproits. You will find a good deal of young Americans. The neighborhood is changing to be a little more like Manhattan but hopefully, not too much.

If you want to get a better idea of the area check the We Heart Astoria for the good or LIC Magazine online. For the ugly check Astoria Ugly. One thing I do like about my neighborhood - we can be brutally honest about our shortcomings (some of the architecture is so bad it is weirdly good)

Old 08-02-2013, 09:32 PM

Well I'm looking for 2kish, I could go all the way up to 5k a month...but I hate the whole idea of renting, and throwing money away. I'm trying to find a balance between a nice place, and some idiotic apartment that is only expensive because it's in the NY area. I own a condo here in GA, and it puts 99% of the places I've seen in NY to shame for the price...

Old 08-02-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroia 34567 View Post

If I may ask where in the South are you coming from? I ask as Astoria is pretty densely populated. Not as bad as some parts of Manhattan but one of the more densely populated areas of Queens.

I will say that I have worked with Southerners here on temporary work for FEMA. The favorite area for living were the quieter areas of the city - LIC down by Gantry State Park, some areas past 3rd Ave in Midtown East, residential areas in or around downtown Brooklyn. I have been trying to get them to Astoria but NYC is huge and there are tons of attractions here.
Lived all my life in GA - grew up small town, been in Atlanta (Buckhead/Brookhaven) for the past 8 years or so.

If it weren't an awesome job, no way in hell I would ever live in the NYC area - this is at most a 3 year long stay, I'm not selling my place here. I have traveled all over the world working, more than probably 90% of people will...so I'm not that uncomfortable with the idea or diversity of population - I just have to adjust to not having my car, and the general difference between the way people are in the South, and what I have experienced when I've been in the NY area before - maybe my perception was wrong, it just isn't high on my list of places I want to spend time.

The only things I know at this point are that I want someplace that's going to be nice enough to make up for not being where I feel at home, I refuse to do laundromats, I need a sub 30min commute to Grand Central, and that's about it.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:07 PM

868 posts, read 867,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfieldFly View Post
Well I'm looking for 2kish, I could go all the way up to 5k a month...but I hate the whole idea of renting, and throwing money away. I'm trying to find a balance between a nice place, and some idiotic apartment that is only expensive because it's in the NY area. I own a condo here in GA, and it puts 99% of the places I've seen in NY to shame for the price...
NYC is much more expensive than the south. I could sell my condo and my attached home in NYC and buy myself a couple of mansions with acres of space down south. Obviously I don't want to, and never will, but you get the point. You're not going to find anything as nice as your condo down south for the same price in NYC, so either you suck it up and pay more money or you choose your run of the mill average 2k apartment. It's not throwing money away, its the price you pay for living in NYC. You think you're the only one who got offered a nice job in the city? You're not, there are literally millions of you in the city, "competing" for the limited housing stock. That why rents are so high.

My word of advice, if you're only here for the short term, go for the 3/4k apartment with all the luxuries and try to enjoy NYC as much as you can while you are here. If you're here for the long term, go for the 2k apartment, save up money for a downpayment, and buy yourself a nice luxury condo or Co-Op in a few years.

As far as apartments with a nice view on Manhattan, go to any Astoria real-estate office and ask to see apartments in new construction high rises, which are popping up all over Astoria. The "high rises" are really only 4/5/6 stories high, but neighborhood is made up of mostly low houses, so you should have a nice view of the city from the upper floors.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:47 PM

Yep, I knew going in that things are more expensive - heck, I could move to the middle of nowhere and build a huge house. Such is the price of being based out of a big city - even in GA the prices in Atlanta dwarf those of the outlying counties.

The plan for now is just that - suck up the fact that I'm not paying into a mortgage, but essentially flushing money with the rent payments...life could be worse, I could have no job at all.

Now I just have to figure out how to work with that awkward in between period - I don't have the time to fly up and check places out, so I figure I'll be in an extended stay for a few weeks, possibly the first month. I'm thinking more and more now that just doing hotels in different places would be a good way to find an area that I like - the biggest thing is that commute

I like the highrise idea though - are there many of them in this area?

Old 08-03-2013, 12:08 AM

868 posts, read 867,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfieldFly View Post
Yep, I knew going in that things are more expensive - heck, I could move to the middle of nowhere and build a huge house. Such is the price of being based out of a big city - even in GA the prices in Atlanta dwarf those of the outlying counties.

The plan for now is just that - suck up the fact that I'm not paying into a mortgage, but essentially flushing money with the rent payments...life could be worse, I could have no job at all.

Now I just have to figure out how to work with that awkward in between period - I don't have the time to fly up and check places out, so I figure I'll be in an extended stay for a few weeks, possibly the first month. I'm thinking more and more now that just doing hotels in different places would be a good way to find an area that I like - the biggest thing is that commute

I like the highrise idea though - are there many of them in this area?
So you're going for the short stay, luxury rental. You will weep at the cost of your rent, but at least you will enjoy something similar to what you're probably used to. That should make your brief stay in the city easier since you don't seem to like the NYC environment much.

As far as high rises in the area, i would suggest you stick to the high rises west (towards the river) of 31st Street, as you're more likely to get a better view from there. And yes, there are many popping up, in a two block radius from my home, around 10 or so high rises have popped up in the last 5 years. Remember though, Astoria high rises are generally only 5 stories high, with occasional standouts here and there. Nothing like the ones that popped in LIC. You should still get a nice view from the top floors, though.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:06 AM

10,502 posts, read 8,447,655 times
Why not just stay in GA and find an awesome job in Atlanta if your not thrilled of the idea of moving to NYC? The high rises your looking for are in LIC.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:43 AM

11,227 posts, read 21,664,282 times
Check the list of high rises in Long Island City, which is next to Astoria and closer to Manhattan

Hi-rise Buildings in Queens For Rent | Nest Seekers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City