Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 07:20 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleosaur View Post
Thank you everybody for the advice!
I love my bike but I'm not about to subject it to salt and snow.
The driving in NJ/SI was a different experience than Charleston. I feel the drivers were better but much more aggressive.
SI/NYC was a huge culture shock. The accents and people are certainly different, heh.
Is it worth paying for a broker, or should Craigslist do it?
I'll also be bringing a gun or two with me. Is there anything I should know about bringing handguns into NYC? They aren't silenced. Also, I read something about not being able to carry a pocketknife on you in NYC. I felt pretty unsafe in the subway when I got lost at 2am. And in Times Square. And generally unsafe anywhere there wasn't a few police officers nearby and spotlights on the walkway.
Yea no problem. The more you bring the safer you'll feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 09:09 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleosaur View Post
After researching NYC gun laws, I'm pretty upset. ... At least NJ is rational.
Firearms laws in NJ are very strict, as well.
Gun laws in New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
AFAIK, you cannot carry a handgun in NJ, even if you have a carry permit from another state. NJ carry permits are few & far between. Retired police officers, mostly. Even if you are armed security at a power plant, you would be limited to the workplace. You may keep handguns in your home, but AFAIK you must notify the local police, and there may be a permit process for that, as well.
Also, you cannot drive around with weapons in your vehicle. Transportation of firearms is limited to from your residence to a range, and the weapons must be unloaded & locked in your trunk or a locked gun case. You may transport long guns for hunting, but cannot carry or load them off the hunting site. There is no handgun hunting season, so no excuses if you're found with one.
These laws are strictly enforced, especially for handguns, which carry mandatory prison time.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:48 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,791 times
Welcome to NY where Mayor Bloomberg controls everything you say do, eat & drink. Where the police have the right to stop, frisk & detain you for no reason & without legal represenation. The gun laws here are ridculous & they have done nothing to stem the tide of real criminmals getting the guns. All these stupid gun laws have done is prevented law abiding citizens their 2nd ammendment right to bear arms & defend themsleves from viscious carrer criminals.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:22 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
All these stupid gun laws have done is prevented law abiding citizens their 2nd ammendment right to bear arms & defend themsleves from viscious carrer criminals.
If they keep you from carrying a gun, they're worth it.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:17 AM

75 posts, read 146,192 times
When you work in NY and live in NJ you will be taxed in both states. Fun stuff. I say live on Staten Island, no tolls to pay. Then on the weekends have all of NYC to explore. Good luck to you.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:54 AM

47 posts, read 79,137 times
We moved here from Atlanta approx. a year ago. I just brought my 350z convertible up about a 2 months ago. It just isn't practical. The roads are pot hole ridden and stuff flies at you from every direction. Nasty stuff drips on you from the bridges. I'm selling before it is completely destroyed or I am injured. Sell your baby and buy a junker. You can always buy a bike when you return to the south. Jersey City, Paulus Hook, is a nice area we lived in for the first year. A one bedroom will run you about $2100. There area offers great transportation to the city. You can access SI through Bayonne. We now live in Port Liberte a nice community closer to Bayonne, but more isolated. If you can stay in SC, do it. Everything here is more expensive. The laws and regulations make this one of the least free places in he country to live. I have a Georgia concealed weapons permit. It means nothing here. Pretty much only criminals and police own guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: