Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 04:27 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Most of Queens is quite nice, especially the areas you've mentioned, so most would not blink an eye if you said you lived in Astoria or Queens or used Queens as opposed to Bayside.

There are a FEW and only a FEW decent neighborhoods in the Bronx. Considering how big the borough is and how long it's been plagued by high crime, poverty and the like, you can't fault anyone who actually lives in a good neighborhood for distancing themselves from the borough. For years neighborhoods like Throggs Neck, Woodlawn, Pelham Bay, Country Club, Morris Park and City Island were seen as some of the few decent areas of an otherwise run down borough full of dispair. All of these neighborhoods are fairly small in population and isolated in some way, so when you look at the big picture, most of the Bronx is in pretty bad shape.

The point is for every link you find with that listing, I can find plenty of businesses that use Riverdale, NY. In fact all of the businesses that I patronize list Riverdale, NY on the receipt and everywhere else. We're not in denial. We're proud of where we live, which is in Riverdale, New York.
What part don't you get that an address is the street number, then the city (which is Riverdale) then followed by the State. Your city is located in the borough of the Bronx. You most certainly are in denial.

Wow, you're like a kid having a hissy fit. WE ALL LIVE IN NEW YORK. Obviously you have serious issues with poverty or low income areas. You don't want to be associated with it so you go on to say how bad the Bronx is and refuse to accept that RIVERDALE IS LOCATED IN THE BRONX. It isn't in Westchester County and every fricken map I look at, it's smack dab in the Bronx. Why are you so embarrassed about it? I used to work with a girl who lived in Morris Park. She told everyone (and quite proudly) that she's from The Bronx and she said "sangwich" not "sandwich". She make it clear she's from The Bronx, not "Morris Park, NY". I used to date a guy from Throggs Neck. He considered himself from The Bronx. Why? BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE IT IS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 04:29 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Yes, they're part of the Bronx because THEY CONSIDER themselves to be part of the Bronx. Riverdale on the other hand has a clear history of doing the opposite as has been shown on numerous occasions going back many years. Several colleges, businesses and other places here consider this as simply Riverdale, NY and NOTHING else and list that on their websites and elsewhere. Even the postal workers know this. It is not at all uncommon or weird or any of that.

Manhattan College
Manhattan College

Riverdale Country School
Riverdale Country School ~ Welcome

Sotheby's
Exclusive Properties Sotheby's International Realty - Sotheby's International Realty

Tennis Courts in Riverdale, NY 10471 // directions to College of Mount Saint Vincent

Ok I'll accept that facepalm worthy answer for the moment. In fact, it leads directly to my other question that you seem to be ducking.

Does the borough of Queens exist? Simple question. Yes or no?

Old 08-07-2013, 04:31 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
And why does the NY Daily News categorize this article under the Bronx section of it's news stories?

nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/slumlord-strikes-riverdale-article-1.1419446
The same reason why another paper has a section for the Bronx and separate section for Riverdale.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Ok I'll accept that facepalm worthy answer for the moment. In fact, it leads directly to my other question that you seem to be ducking.

Does the borough of Queens exist? Simple question. Yes or no?
I thought I answered that already. Yes it exists, but people there tend to identify with both the neighborhood or the borough. What one neighborhood does has nothing to do with another neighborhood though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
What part don't you get that an address is the street number, then the city (which is Riverdale) then followed by the State. Your city is located in the borough of the Bronx. You most certainly are in denial.

Wow, you're like a kid having a hissy fit. WE ALL LIVE IN NEW YORK. Obviously you have serious issues with poverty or low income areas. You don't want to be associated with it so you go on to say how bad the Bronx is and refuse to accept that RIVERDALE IS LOCATED IN THE BRONX. It isn't in Westchester County and every fricken map I look at, it's smack dab in the Bronx. Why are you so embarrassed about it? I used to work with a girl who lived in Morris Park. She told everyone (and quite proudly) that she's from The Bronx and she said "sangwich" not "sandwich". She make it clear she's from The Bronx, not "Morris Park, NY". I used to date a guy from Throggs Neck. He considered himself from The Bronx. Why? BECAUSE THAT'S WHERE IT IS.
Well sorry but we're Riverdale and we do things here differently. It seems as if you have a problem accepting that. I've already shown you multiple links of colleges and other businesses that use Riverdale, NY and NOTHING else. You can't compare us with them because they do things the way that they see fit in THEIR neighborhood, just like we do things here the way that we see fit here. Do I tell you how to do things in your neighborhood? I don't think so. We live here and we get to choose how things are done here. Thank you very much.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:43 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
I thought I answered that already. Yes it exists, but people there tend to identify with both the neighborhood or the borough. What one neighborhood does has nothing to do with another neighborhood though.

Well sorry but we're Riverdale and we do things here differently. It seems as if you have a problem accepting that. I've already shown you multiple links of colleges and other businesses that use Riverdale, NY and NOTHING else. You can't compare us with them because they do things the way that they see fit in THEIR neighborhood, just like we do things here the way that we see fit here. Do I tell you how to do things in your neighborhood? I don't think so. We live here and we get to choose how things are done here. Thank you very much.
No, you have a problem accepting that Riverdale is located in the borough of the Bronx.

I live in Franklin Square, which is in the Town of Hempstead. We don't get all bent because there are not-so-great areas in Hempstead and go around saying, "I'm from Franklin Square, Long Island and we live in Franklin Square NY".

Old 08-07-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
No, you have a problem accepting that Riverdale is located in the borough of the Bronx.

I live in Franklin Square, which is in the Town of Hempstead. We don't get all bent because there are not-so-great areas in Hempstead and go around saying, "I'm from Franklin Square, Long Island and we live in Franklin Square NY".
Well good for you. We're NOT you and I don't live in Long Island! I don't know what part about that don't you get. Just because you do things one way in your neighborhood doesn't mean that everyone has to follow what you do. Last I checked this is MY neighborhood, not yours. Whatever you do out in Long Island that works for you, GREAT, but you can't dictate to me or my neighbors how to do things in OUR neighborhood.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:

Your answer to everybody who tells you that Riverdale is clearly in the Bronx is to link various sites where realtors and businesses list the neighborhood as "Riverdale, NY". That is exactly what every neighborhood in Queens does. All of them. On their mail and everything. By your rationale, Queens does not exist.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Your answer to everybody who tells you that Riverdale is clearly in the Bronx is to link various sites where realtors and businesses list the neighborhood as "Riverdale, NY". That is exactly what every neighborhood in Queens does. All of them. On their mail and everything. By your rationale, Queens does not exist.
Yeah because that's how things are done in Queens. If residents CHOOSE to do that then that's what they do and that's THEIR RIGHT! We CHOOSE to continue using Riverdale, NY, as the neighborhood has been doing that for MANY years going back to when Riverdale was part of Westchester. What other neighborhoods do is not of our concern because we are NOT them, period. I mean that's like saying that because we're all New York residents that we must all talk the same and act the same, which obviously we don't. Do we all eat the same food too because we're all New York residents? Don't be ridiculous.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Don't be ridiculous.
Dude, there's no more room for ridiculousness around here with your epic ridiculousness.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:13 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Yeah because that's how things are done in Queens. If residents CHOOSE to do that then that's what they do and that's THEIR RIGHT! We CHOOSE to continue using Riverdale, NY, as the neighborhood has been doing that for MANY years going back to when Riverdale was part of Westchester. What other neighborhoods do is not of our concern because we are NOT them, period. I mean that's like saying that because we're all New York residents that we must all talk the same and act the same, which obviously we don't. Do we all eat the same food too because we're all New York residents? Don't be ridiculous.

pWneD.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City