Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 10:28 AM

284 posts, read 641,305 times

Advertisements

i always hear people who live in manhattan (mainly people from uptown area) say that brooklyn is too far and they try to avoid going as much as possible. however, i know people from BK who go into the city often w/ no hesitation.

i never hear people complain of the distance between manhattan and the bronx. are these two boroughs the most proximal to eachother?

also wht is the estimated time in mins. from manhattan to the other boroughs if you ride by car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 10:41 AM

466 posts, read 901,981 times
It depends on where in the other boroughs you are going. Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx are all just a bridge from Manhattan, but those are all very big boroughs. To get from Manhattan to eastern Queens can take quite a long time. I don't drive so I'm not sure how long, but most who live in Manhattan don't drive.

I live in Jackson Heights and it takes me about 15-20 minutes to get to the first subway stop in Manhattan if I take an express train. If I want to go downtown, it's probably 30-40 minutes. My commute to the Upper East Side is 40-45 minutes, including walking.

But yeah, if you live in UPTOWN Manhattan, it's a long trip to Brooklyn. Again, it depends on where point A and point B are, but it could easily take an hour if you're in far northern Manhattan (by subway).

Old 08-07-2013, 11:11 AM

208 posts, read 464,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
i always hear people who live in manhattan (mainly people from uptown area) say that brooklyn is too far and they try to avoid going as much as possible. however, i know people from BK who go into the city often w/ no hesitation.

i never hear people complain of the distance between manhattan and the bronx. are these two boroughs the most proximal to eachother?

also wht is the estimated time in mins. from manhattan to the other boroughs if you ride by car?
Most Manhattan people don't like to leave Manhattan. Its not about actually being to far away to go to Brooklyn or Queens is more about leaving the Island.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:28 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycangel View Post
Most Manhattan people don't like to leave Manhattan. Its not about actually being to far away to go to Brooklyn or Queens is more about leaving the Island.

Which is sad. I have friends that live in Jersey City and Hoboken that spend more time in Brooklyn and Queens enjoying what they have to offer than some Manhattanites.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:32 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post

The two boroughs that are closest to each other are Brooklyn and Queens because they share a large land border, but that's probably not what you're asking.

Uptown is a distance from Brooklyn, so I can see people saying Brooklyn is too far if they're coming from there. However, lower Manhattan and the Villages are all fairly close to Brooklyn and it's not that much of a haul to walk or bike the bridges connecting the closest parts of the two boroughs. There's also pretty quick transit from the lower parts of Manhattan to Brooklyn.

Keep in mind the boroughs are pretty big and traffic changes quite a bit depending on the time of day, so there's not way to really give a good estimated time for a ride by car unless you talk about specific neighborhoods in Manhattan and the outer boroughs.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:03 PM

241 posts, read 591,664 times
I think it is far because of the distractions along the way. If from point A you have to go through all the coolest shop, entertainment, restaurant the country has to offer to get to point B, you'll likely never quite make it to point B. And that feeds the mentality. The less likely you make it to point B, the farther it feels in your mind.

But all in all, even in the lower parts of uptown (70s) to the edge or Brooklyn (downtown), it's still 40 minutes on the 4/5/6. It's not necessarily the shortest trip one could make. In most places in the country, that amount of time can take you to end edge of town to the other edge of town. I think for the most part, people underestimate the sheer size of NYC...

Old 08-07-2013, 12:27 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
Like every city, there’s a big difference between “as the crow flies” and the Earth-bound realities of traffic or subway lines.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:51 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,316 times
It is very spread out, and fundamentally that's why the most expensive real estate is smack in the middle, in downtown Manhattan and northwest Brooklyn. You sacrifice access to more and more of what the city has to offer as you move further out in any direction. I live pretty far out and I don't mind, but it's easy to understand why people want to live in the middle.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:27 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,503 times
The longer you need to travel to get somewhere, the more likely your trip may be significantly delayed by subway disruptions. I don't mind going to Brooklyn or Queens to see friends -- but before I leave I check to see what subway disruptions I might encounter online. I'm not going if it will take me two hours to get to a location (and that has quite literally happened)--unless its some truly special life event that I can't miss.

By the way, there are plenty of people I know in Brooklyn who have cancelled trips into Manhattan because of service disruptions so it goes both ways.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:19 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,514,459 times
I live in uptown Manhattan, on the West Side, so getting to Queens or Brooklyn by public transit isn't particularly fun.

I actually work at JFK, but I have a car. With no traffic, it's an easy 30 minute drive. Of course with traffic, God only knows.

The only reason I prefer to stay in Manhattan if I'm going out with friends is because of the commute. I'll only take subway since I know I'll be drinking, so it's pretty much a solid hour each way, and if I'm returning late at night, the train transfers can kill you.

If I lived downtown on the East side I wouldn't hesitate to skip across the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City