Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:29 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,483 times

Advertisements

Did they mean that San Diego is #1 for Mexican style pizza?

While there are many mediocre pizza places in NYC, it's hard to beat the quality mom and pop places. I lived in California and and generally I never thought the pizza there was as good as NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 02:06 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,338 times
that list is total BS! they even put philly in the top 10, which i know from personal experience is way off. never found any consistently good pizza in philly, even in historically italian n'hoods.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:25 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
Pizza Daddy on Bay Parkway and 65th

Joe and John's on Myrtle ave and Stephen St. in Ridgewood

Rosa's Pizza on Fresh Pond Rd. near Bleecker St. in Ridgewood

Pizzerias like this used to be a dime a dozen 20-30 years ago... Now that most of the italian population has moved across the country to greener pastures, the title of best city for pizza has been lost... That said, only folks who weren't around to experience NYC in its heyday for pizza spots would say that NYC pizza was overrated... It may be over-rated now but NYC pizza was always the best... Chicago was the only one IMO that came close... Went to California about 10 years ago... We passed by San Francisco, then we drove 11 hours to the LA/East LA region and finally closed it out in San Diego and we tried the pizza over there... It was average at best...

Old 08-08-2013, 03:38 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Pizza Daddy on Bay Parkway and 65th

Joe and John's on Myrtle ave and Stephen St. in Ridgewood

Rosa's Pizza on Fresh Pond Rd. near Bleecker St. in Ridgewood

Pizzerias like this used to be a dime a dozen 20-30 years ago... Now that most of the italian population has moved across the country to greener pastures, the title of best city for pizza has been lost... That said, only folks who weren't around to experience NYC in its heyday for pizza spots would say that NYC pizza was overrated... It may be over-rated now but NYC pizza was always the best... Chicago was the only one IMO that came close... Went to California about 10 years ago... We passed by San Francisco, then we drove 11 hours to the LA/East LA region and finally closed it out in San Diego and we tried the pizza over there... It was average at best...
This might sound kind of stuck up but I honestly can't eat pizza anywhere outside of NYC, it always either taste bland or overly done. There was a pizzeria in Bensonhurst I was going to mention on 86 street, forgot the name. Only the BullBoxer31 in Ridgewood is the real deal, the other ones [In Midville and Maspeth] suck. Chicago has its own unique style of pizza which I'm curious to try out.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:53 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
NYC really does have great pizza. I tasted pizza in Westchester and was left unimpressed. The cheese was very thick yet disconnected from the dough. It would constantly slip off. I also tasted pizza in Jersey, and they gave me some weird thin crust with cheese that formed a crusty shell. That doesn't compare to the piece of crap I tasted in Port Jervis. The people who made the pizza LEFT HUGE BITS OF ONION in the sauce.

It's like painting black stripes on your cat and then telling everyone that you have a tiger

Old 08-08-2013, 04:15 PM

420 posts, read 823,497 times
Even the dollar slices are better than any other US city's pizza...

Old 08-08-2013, 04:40 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,987 times
NYC pizza is one of the many things that are over-rated here.
And since I don't eat junk food I couldn't care less that SD claims the best one.
They can claim the best Nathan hot dog and pretzel for all I care.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:10 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Trip advisor claims pizza in NYC is no longer the best in the nation. First place goes to San Diego!!! We made it only to number 4. Can life go on after such blow?
Wow that's pretty embarrasing actually.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:12 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
Yep the $1.00 pizza joints have definitely lowered the quality of the NY slice.
I don't know about that. There's a lot of bad pizza out there not exclusive to the $1 spots. The $1 slices are just smaller/simpler.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:18 PM

59 posts, read 54,034 times
Why every time I get a pizza for $1 It is always dried up or burnt!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City