Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 01:08 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,591 times

Advertisements

It's surprising to read a lot of people using the argument that people who hate on SI just can't afford to live here, maybe I'm missing something but I feel like most people live here because it is the most affordable. A 200,000 dollar condo in SI is a 1.5 million dollar condo in manhattan, I live in a single family home with a nice property size , recently appraised for 550,000. My gf lives in Brooklyn, our homes are comparable and hers is worth over a million. How is Staten Island too "rich" for some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 02:39 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
It's surprising to read a lot of people using the argument that people who hate on SI just can't afford to live here, maybe I'm missing something but I feel like most people live here because it is the most affordable. A 200,000 dollar condo in SI is a 1.5 million dollar condo in manhattan, I live in a single family home with a nice property size , recently appraised for 550,000. My gf lives in Brooklyn, our homes are comparable and hers is worth over a million. How is Staten Island too "rich" for some people.
Quality-of-life.

You can live in Brooklyn without a car and have a perfectly normal life without feeling handicapped. You can't really do that in SI. Throw in mortgage payments, property tax, car payments, car insurance, gas, tolls, and the average SI resident (who owns) needs to make more money than the average BK resident who rents and only needs a Metrocard.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:39 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
and again to answer the question:

not everyone wants to live in a urban area, there are people that like a country feeling.
not everyone's life revolves around Manhattan and getting there.

actually though, I see tons of new town homes being built all over SI, they have zero front yards and tiny back yards, are all stuck together and actually, look like crap.

unfortunetely builders buy the land and cram as much as the law allows them too, and unfortunetely people buy them, but in reality they are no better then the old row houses of brooklyn from back in the day, windows in the front and back only...............

back in the 66 when my parents first bought the house, it really was country.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:54 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,879 times
come to think of it, being different is what makes Staten Island a unique part of NYC. It's the only borough that does not connect with a bridge to Manhattan. It contains high hills, I read somewhere one of the highest points on the US eastern seaboard. I gather with some exposure and developments SI will be much more attractive in popular culture.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:31 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
I said for kids. I've been told by numerous teenage relatives that they don't pay to take the bus. Nearly every adult in SI drives. The ones who don't are generally lower-income and live close to the ferry.
Yeah, with a Student MetroCard, they don't have to pay (which is true for any borough). But if they're traveling on the weekends, they still have to pay. Sure, some drivers really don't care about who pays or not, but it's not an official policy that teens are allowed to ride for free. (Matter of fact, I've seen a teenager pulled off by an undercover cop for not paying)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
come to think of it, being different is what makes Staten Island a unique part of NYC. It's the only borough that does not connect with a bridge to Manhattan. It contains high hills, I read somewhere one of the highest points on the US eastern seaboard. I gather with some exposure and developments SI will be much more attractive in popular culture.
Yup. Todt Hill is 410 feet above sea level, the highest point on the eastern seaboard.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:19 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
Quality-of-life.

You can live in Brooklyn without a car and have a perfectly normal life without feeling handicapped. You can't really do that in SI. Throw in mortgage payments, property tax, car payments, car insurance, gas, tolls, and the average SI resident (who owns) needs to make more money than the average BK resident who rents and only needs a Metrocard.
Or he could just live in a homeless shelter and that would be even easier right?

Seriously, I've lived in both Brooklyn and SI..it's not even close, Staten Island is far easier living.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:44 AM

5 posts, read 8,071 times
I don't know how you can compare Staten Island to NJ? Staten Island as much as I been there is always chaos.. Always traffic driving through it and getting around it. NJ mostly is quiet and very suburban.. I've driven through Staten Island many times never a pleasant moment.. Staten island slowly but surely is becoming a another Brooklyn in recent years.. All you do is sit in traffic and its just as bad as living in any other borough in this city but nicer looking. Sometimes you rather hold a grip, pull teeth and move across the bridge where everything is so much more affordable. At least half off for owning houses, rentals and essentials, it is more of a peace of mind.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:16 AM

46 posts, read 135,788 times
Quote:
1. I said for kids. I've been told by numerous teenage relatives that they don't pay to take the bus. Nearly every adult in SI drives. The ones who don't are generally lower-income and live close to the ferry.
2. You're right, and that's to get people taking the ferry to pay. But if you're going from Tottenville to Annadale or whatever, no charge. That's unique to the "forgotten borough".

Not to mention, one bridge to NYC. $15. Three bridges to New Jersey. They're a lot less.
Not if you are a SI resident. It is only 5.75$ to cross the bridge one way on the way back into the island.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:26 AM

46 posts, read 135,788 times
2. You're right, and that's to get people taking the ferry to pay. But if you're going from Tottenville to Annadale or whatever, no charge. That's unique to the "forgotten borough".

Its not the forgotten borough anymore just because it lacks a subway system in different areas where its suppose to be..? At this day an age There isn't a forgotten borough anymore, they are all known for different things and problems.. If anything I think people in general don't think much of the Bronx for anything great.. That's another decaying borough. At least the city has plans for Staten Island's prosperous future in the next couple of years..

Old 11-09-2013, 11:20 AM

34 posts, read 80,480 times
I have moved away from NYC its been 5 years now since I lived here and all my family live in S.I and NJ and I see absolutly nothing wrong with S.I if I ever plan a move back the area in the Bronx I grew up in and S.I woudl be my first choices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City