Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 14,044 times

Advertisements

hi guys, I am considering two very nice apartment in harlem, one in the west, on 129th street, near Convent Avenue, the other one in the east, on 102nd street and 2nd avenue. I am a student and need to go home late at night a few days every week. Both the apartments look very nice, but I am a little bit hesitant, coz I am not familiar with the neighborhood. are they safe? and safety wise, which would be better? you can say neither and find some other place if you do think so. Thank you guys! Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 12:44 PM

33,333 posts, read 46,774,611 times
I would go for 128th and Convent.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-09-2013, 12:53 PM

260 posts, read 448,316 times
What school are you attending? I would go for 102 and second, there are working class Mexicans living there, I don't find that to be a high crime area. It's only 1 stop from 96th and lex which is that invisible dividing line between hoity toity and poor.

128th and Convent is a bit too far from Columbia U for my taste, I wouldn't feel safe there on my own.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:56 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,641,344 times
From the second hand info I gather from this board, most people say West Harlem is safer than East Harlem in general.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:31 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,879,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasty View Post
What school are you attending? I would go for 102 and second, there are working class Mexicans living there, I don't find that to be a high crime area. It's only 1 stop from 96th and lex which is that invisible dividing line between hoity toity and poor.

128th and Convent is a bit too far from Columbia U for my taste, I wouldn't feel safe there on my own.
It is very close to Columbia, walking distance.
The map you consulted is misleading.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrisInNewYork View Post
hi guys, I am considering two very nice apartment in harlem, one in the west, on 129th street, near Convent Avenue, the other one in the east, on 102nd street and 2nd avenue. I am a student and need to go home late at night a few days every week. Both the apartments look very nice, but I am a little bit hesitant, coz I am not familiar with the neighborhood. are they safe? and safety wise, which would be better? you can say neither and find some other place if you do think so. Thank you guys! Cheers!
!29th and Convent - vastly better, no contest.
It is not unsafe, nor is it far from Columbia - walking distance. I do it just about every day.
Also walking distance to City College.

Express trains at 127th - A and D.

Convent is a better because is it west of the park, and at the edge of the Columbia building program.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:56 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,689,480 times
You might try the east side location if you're going to Lehmann up in the Bronx or Hunter School of Social Work in E. Harlem, but barring those two, I'd stick with the West Side location on Convent. Stronger neighborhood IMO, more amenities, better transportation options, and generally not unsafe if you use the usual common-sense precautions.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
You might try the east side location if you're going to Lehmann up in the Bronx or Hunter School of Social Work in E. Harlem, but barring those two, I'd stick with the West Side location on Convent. Stronger neighborhood IMO, more amenities, better transportation options, and generally not unsafe if you use the usual common-sense precautions.
Exactly.
In some ways, it is more safe than other areas, including downtown (currently), because people will actually help you if you have a problem - the normal people, of which there are many.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:22 PM

7,852 posts, read 7,743,051 times
I don't like either choices.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:38 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,969,970 times
i would pick 129th and convent, no question

i'm very familiar with both areas

in addition to safety, it has better subway options

as far as suggesting someplace else, i recommend washington heights or inwood. much better neighborhood, higher quality apartments, same rent, only very slightly longer commute. even when i attended CCNY, i chose that area over the options near 129th and convent despite the fact i would have been able to walk to school from there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City