Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 12:33 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I like your weatherman analogy. I check the little weather app everyday and will always try to remember to bring an umbrella if it predicts rain or thunderstorm. I know it can be way off on some days but it does not hurt to be prepared. Same goes with the "insights" from Street experts on the economy and market outlook.
if you have been involved with the markets for enough cycles you know to turn of the noise.

it is never what we all see and know that influences things , it is the stuff not evn on the radar yet.

if i listened to all these talking heads that predict i can tell you i would not be retiring next year because i couldn't afford to following their predictions.

just have a good plan that allows for uncertainty rather than then rule it out and you will be fine.

like thy say if you are going to predict then predict often as even a broken watch is right 2x a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 01:55 PM

20 posts, read 23,544 times
In the end the strength of the winds (such as this very bad news from Wall St) are less important than the integrity, or lack thereof, of the city's economy.
That the deficit stands as it does, even with record (and I believe peak) revenues, is a big deal.

That housing and commercial real estate markets distorted by mischief, arcane zoning regulations, and (in the case of the former) rent stabilization have resulted in twin, unsustainable bubbles is a big deal.

The historically baseless and unserious attitude that "NYC will always be okay", and the denial and inaction it has fostered among people who should know better, is a big deal.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:12 PM

It is not that these things can't play out. Of course one day they can.
But paying attention and worrying about every bit of noise and news that is out there will do nothing for you except depress you and confuse you.

As an investor i have been bombarded in my life time with all the negative things in the world all my life with little either being true, happening or having much effect.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:21 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
...paying attention and worrying about every bit of noise and news that iis out there will do nothing for you except depress you and confuse you.

As an investor i have been bombarded in my life time with all the negative thing in the world all my life with little either being true, happening or having much effect.
Seriously. After the last financial/credit crisis I started reading every explanatory book out there. I learned that trying to understand from others negative outlooks was no way to spend leisure time.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:26 PM

Thats what more folks need to learn. It is like driving. When things crop up from time to time you learn enough to steer around it, go through it or take a different route.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:34 PM

20 posts, read 23,544 times
Quote:
Thats what more folks need to learn. It is like driving. When things crop up from time to time you learn enough to steer around it, go through it or take a different route.
Wise words in most situations, but the nagging question is this: Is there another route for a debt-ridden place, where real estate is so over-valued that it is almost a comedy, and the number of public employees about to retire and already collecting pensions is staggering?

Old 08-10-2013, 03:12 PM

most folks usually end up seeking their own level and somehow making it.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:57 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
i lost two jobs in 2008-2009 , found two jobs and that routine has been unbroken now forever.

i really can't react to predictions and outlooks until they are here . like steering a big ship a nudge here a nudge there is all that is usually needed to get back on course.

folks spend to much time with the what if's in life and not enough time on the plan to carry them through uncertainty or even just to get them through life succesfully .
Except this story, is not about what you do personally. It has nothing to do with you . The world doesn't revolve around your lifestyle.

This prediction is more for not only those in the city government (if she's right this would seriously hurt the city financies), and this would also seriously have an effect on real estate prices.

In 2008, when the real estate market collapsed, some half finished projects in NYC had their constructed halted for YEARS before they got the financing to work on them again and finish them.

What's the point? If there's about to be a major jar to the NYC economy, you'd be an idiot to buy now. Real estate has never been higher here, so you may be investing at the top of the market as its about to collapse. Those who put a lot of money in real estate in 2007 LOST HUGE and BIG TIME. Those who invested money in the stock market in 2000, just before the 2001 collapse, lost big time . You want to do your investments when the market is low, and make money from appreciation of your assets. Not buy when things are expensive, and lose a lot of money from an incoming crash.

Now, as for whether's she's right about the numbers, I don't know. But I do know the number of financial jobs in NYC continues to shrink. That job market is tight now, and there are a number of layoffs. There have been articles stating how even Harvard MBA's are moving on to other things, as the job market on Wall Street is not good.

Bloomberg got Cornell to create a tech school in NYC, because Mayor Bloomberg himself thinks its a disaster for the city to depend so much on finance ,and Bloomberg himself saw this SHRINKING. I disagree with Bloomberg on a lot of things, but any good leader, whether in government or in the private sector, needs to be able to predict future trends.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynn's Ghost View Post
Wise words in most situations, but the nagging question is this: Is there another route for a debt-ridden place, where real estate is so over-valued that it is almost a comedy, and the number of public employees about to retire and already collecting pensions is staggering?
Yes, big losses in the financial sector would lead to lower tax revenues for the city. They'd have to cut spending, lay off civil servants, cut welfare programs even more, etc.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:01 PM

The point is it is just another load of worry dropped into the collection that is already in the bucket.

It carrys no more weight than anything else already in the bucket.

It goes in with all the other what ifs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City