Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 06:39 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times

Advertisements

Add a cup of wine to a barrel of sewage, you've got a slightly larger barrel of sewage. Add a cup of sewage to a barrel of wine, and you've got the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 06:59 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So its okay to dump people on SSI and other programs in neighborhoods that have lots of working class Blacks and Hispanics, but perish the thought they get dumped into white neighborhoods, or well off neighborhoods?

Part of the reason why the poor remain poor is marginalization. Diversifying communities to an extent can help expose people to new stuff, and in the long run can help make it easier for people to find work.

Lastly, poor does not always equal criminal. In Manhattan, in the 80/20 buildings, they accept a certain number of low income people into high rises. Granted, they screen them to make sure they don't let in people who are problems. But overall, the mixed income housing you have in the city works provided they kick out trouble makers.

But back to where to place low income people. You know, some people are low income because they can't work because of medical conditions. So these people should always be dumped in the worst ghetto, because some stuck up snob who needs to be beaten and slapped can't stand the idea of a poor person in the neighborhood? **** people who think like that?
Big rep for this.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
It's only a waste of money if it does not work.

Right now, the homeless, usually evictions, are re-housed in already low-income areas.
Why not spread it around.
I think New York development interests will intervene and it will never happen.
Yes, these types of developments be should be spread around. Those growing up in areas of concentrated poverty are likely never to make it out. We should not be encouraging the creation of a permanent underclass.

Last edited by yodel; 08-11-2013 at 07:24 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 07:19 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,967,943 times
It may work if we increase the cop/security force so each mixed income neighborhood is under close scrutinization all the time to make sure that the bad elements get sorted out and sent back to the dumpster for ever and keeping the good low income residents to assimilate and integrate into the rest of the society.

I do believe that the government can play some major role in coordinating the social/racial integration process by assuring that the poor let into the middle and upper class neighborhoods are decent people and can be integrated to the society.

Otherwise, with the "minority" population base expanding 10X faster then the "majority" population, how long can you keep this economic-based social segregation in this country?

Old 08-11-2013, 07:26 PM

530 posts, read 1,359,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Yes, these types of developments be should be spread around. Those growing up in areas of concentrated poverty are likely never to make it out. We should not be encouraging the creation of a permanent underclass.
I agree, as long as it's in low concentrations for each new community it is in.

Too much will trigger middle/upper class flight.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I agree, as long as it's in low concentrations for each new community it is in.

Too much will trigger middle/upper class flight.
They should be in low concentrations everywhere. However, that's not currently the case.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:14 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
It may work if we increase the cop/security force so each mixed income neighborhood is under close scrutinization all the time to make sure that the bad elements get sorted out and sent back to the dumpster for ever and keeping the good low income residents to assimilate and integrate into the rest of the society.

I do believe that the government can play some major role in coordinating the social/racial integration process by assuring that the poor let into the middle and upper class neighborhoods are decent people and can be integrated to the society.

Otherwise, with the "minority" population base expanding 10X faster then the "majority" population, how long can you keep this economic-based social segregation in this country?
Big Rep!

Old 08-11-2013, 08:17 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,125 times
Because this leaves full discretion to the states on what to do, or even whether to do anything at all, this is pretty much a nothing program. It might help states that are interested in integration a little bit by providing some external funding for information-gathering. Otherwise, it's pretty pointless.

Also will have very little to zero impact in NYC, since New York already has far more comprehensive programs in place than most states. (Whether they work or not is a separate discussion.)

Old 08-11-2013, 08:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
Because this leaves full discretion to the states on what to do, or even whether to do anything at all, this is pretty much a nothing program. It might help states that are interested in integration a little bit by providing some external funding for information-gathering. Otherwise, it's pretty pointless.

Also will have very little to zero impact in NYC, since New York already has far more comprehensive programs in place than most states. (Whether they work or not is a separate discussion.)
What comprehensive programs do we have in New York?

Old 08-11-2013, 09:06 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
And trust me, it's not going to work. I didn't work 30 years ago and it's not going to work now. Middle class and Upper class people have their own enclaves because they don't want to live with low-income people. If I see a large influx of low income ghetto people moving by me then I'm bolting to PA immediately and I'm sure many of my neighbors will too. All this will do is create more high crime low income neighborhoods.
Leave it to the Obama administration to tell us who we have to live with. This is downright disgusting. People work hard to live in nice neighborhoods away from the high crime and and everything that comes with it and this is the thanks we get. These days it's a crime to have a White majority neighborhood because somehow that just doesn't sit right with the left.

Instead of FORCING integration on us, deal with the people creating the crime and problems and make them productive members of society and they'll take care of their own problems by working and so on. All this does is cause White flight. The day that Riverdale started having Section 8 and housing projects is the day I would immediately move elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City