Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 03:09 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times

Advertisements

Move would allow Obama administration to institute policies that would better integrate communities

The Department of Housing and Urban Development has proposed a new plan to change U.S. neighborhoods it says are racially imbalanced or are too tilted toward rich or poor, arguing the country's housing policies have not been effective at creating the kind of integrated communities the agency had hoped for.

The proposed federal rule, called "Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing," is currently under a 60-day public comment period. Though details of how the policy would specifically work are unclear, the rule says HUD would provide states, local governments and others who receive agency money with data and a geospatial tool to look at "patterns of integration and segregation; racially and ethnically concentrated areas of poverty; access to education, employment, low-poverty, transportation, and environmental health."

States would then assess the best way to integrate communities deemed by HUD's data to not be integrated enough. A HUD official, who did not want to speak on record because of the public comment period, said the rule hopes to better match up HUD-assisted housing with the communities that have good hospitals, schools and other assets.
The move has been welcomed by civil rights groups including the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, whose senior director of the economic department Dedrick Muhammad says the policy could result in more access to economic resources for minorities.
"It's not just having people of different colors live together just to do so," he says. "African-Americans and Latinos are more likely to live in segregated communities, that are predominantly lower income, have less strong public resources, less schools and educational opportunities, employment opportunities. This kind of integration strengthens economic equality."

But the rule has also attracted criticism from those who say the policy is idealistic and unlikely to work.
Ed Pinto, of the conservative American Enterprise Institute, told Fox News the rule was "just the latest of a series of attempts by HUD to social engineer the American people," and cited failures of the public housing and urban renewal policies of the 1950s and 1960s, and of changes to house financing in the 1990s.
HUD estimates that compliance costs would range from $3 to $9 million each year.

HUD Proposes Plan to Racially, Economically Integrate Neighborhoods - US News and World Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 03:27 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
What a waste of money.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:32 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,427 times
This doesn't effect NYC very much, it's already in practice. Although it should lead to more federal funding for mixed income housing.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:33 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
It's only a waste of money if it does not work.

Right now, the homeless, usually evictions, are re-housed in already low-income areas.
Why not spread it around.
I think New York development interests will intervene and it will never happen.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:34 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Can anybody say, "NIMBY?"

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-11-2013, 03:35 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
This doesn't effect NYC very much, it's already in practice. .
Really ? Where ? Because I see very few places in Soho, for example, newly populated by very low-income people. Conversely, in central Harlem, people are moved in every day. And/or HPD awards yet another building to ECDO or West Harlem Group Assistance.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:36 PM

530 posts, read 1,359,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Move would allow Obama administration to institute policies that would better integrate communities

The Department of Housing and Urban Development has proposed a new plan to change U.S. neighborhoods it says are racially imbalanced or are too tilted toward rich or poor, arguing the country's housing policies have not been effective at creating the kind of integrated communities the agency had hoped for.

The proposed federal rule, called "Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing," is currently under a 60-day public comment period. Though details of how the policy would specifically work are unclear, the rule says HUD would provide states, local governments and others who receive agency money with data and a geospatial tool to look at "patterns of integration and segregation; racially and ethnically concentrated areas of poverty; access to education, employment, low-poverty, transportation, and environmental health."

States would then assess the best way to integrate communities deemed by HUD's data to not be integrated enough. A HUD official, who did not want to speak on record because of the public comment period, said the rule hopes to better match up HUD-assisted housing with the communities that have good hospitals, schools and other assets.
The move has been welcomed by civil rights groups including the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, whose senior director of the economic department Dedrick Muhammad says the policy could result in more access to economic resources for minorities.
"It's not just having people of different colors live together just to do so," he says. "African-Americans and Latinos are more likely to live in segregated communities, that are predominantly lower income, have less strong public resources, less schools and educational opportunities, employment opportunities. This kind of integration strengthens economic equality."

But the rule has also attracted criticism from those who say the policy is idealistic and unlikely to work.
Ed Pinto, of the conservative American Enterprise Institute, told Fox News the rule was "just the latest of a series of attempts by HUD to social engineer the American people," and cited failures of the public housing and urban renewal policies of the 1950s and 1960s, and of changes to house financing in the 1990s.
HUD estimates that compliance costs would range from $3 to $9 million each year.

HUD Proposes Plan to Racially, Economically Integrate Neighborhoods - US News and World Report
I'm black and i'm against all of this. To give some background as to where i'm coming from with this, i'm from a middle class predominately black LI community:

1. Dumping poor people into rich neighborhoods and middle class neighborhoods is bound to create tensions and just increase friction and divisions exponentially. The plan will move the people that are on "welfare programs" into well-off areas; and this will increase crime and then in turn increase hate and animosity towards them. Plus, it will spark white flights in most places. I agree that there is a lot of self-segregation and such but forcing diversity down people's throats is just counter-productive.

2. It'll screw up the whole economic system. People would have no reason to work hard to attain better for themselves since they'll see lazy section 8 losers getting to live in the pristine community with no effort while the hard-working average joe stays in their working class craphole. This would kill my drive and ambition to do better.

3. It would also be terrible for middle class and upper class minorities who got away from all the hoodrat crap to now have these same trash living next door again. There is now a section 8 house on my block and it's just troubled people moving in and out of that house and there's been several times where the police visited.

HOWEVER, I do agree that most minority areas have awful services (schools and such) so changing school district boundaries is one positive step in the right direction. But they must be altered to the point in which it will not spark white flight. So the minority(black+hispanic) population in a school district would have to be kept at under 35%.

(NOTE: Blacks and Hispanics are NOT more likely to live in a segregated areas. Almost every black neighborhood nowadays is diverse to some extent; usually having a notable minority of hispanics. It's usually white areas which are segregated. Most white areas are over 90% white.)

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 08-11-2013 at 04:24 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 04:01 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,222,657 times
I had to rep you Prestigious, social engineering creates consequences. I am a Libertarian at heart, I want to be left alone. Government does not always have the answers. In fact they almost never do...

Old 08-11-2013, 05:32 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
It's only a waste of money if it does not work.
And trust me, it's not going to work. I didn't work 30 years ago and it's not going to work now. Middle class and Upper class people have their own enclaves because they don't want to live with low-income people. If I see a large influx of low income ghetto people moving by me then I'm bolting to PA immediately and I'm sure many of my neighbors will too. All this will do is create more high crime low income neighborhoods.

Last edited by DoomDan515; 08-11-2013 at 05:41 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 06:04 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I'm black and i'm against all of this. To give some background as to where i'm coming from with this, i'm from a middle class predominately black LI community:

1. Dumping poor people into rich neighborhoods and middle class neighborhoods is bound to create tensions and just increase friction and divisions exponentially. The plan will move the people that are on "welfare programs" into well-off areas; and this will increase crime and then in turn increase hate and animosity towards them.
(NOTE: Blacks and Hispanics are NOT more likely to live in a segregated areas. Almost every black neighborhood nowadays is diverse to some extent; usually having a notable minority of hispanics. It's usually white areas which are segregated. Most white areas are over 90% white.)
So its okay to dump people on SSI and other programs in neighborhoods that have lots of working class Blacks and Hispanics, but perish the thought they get dumped into white neighborhoods, or well off neighborhoods?

Part of the reason why the poor remain poor is marginalization. Diversifying communities to an extent can help expose people to new stuff, and in the long run can help make it easier for people to find work.

Lastly, poor does not always equal criminal. In Manhattan, in the 80/20 buildings, they accept a certain number of low income people into high rises. Granted, they screen them to make sure they don't let in people who are problems. But overall, the mixed income housing you have in the city works provided they kick out trouble makers.

But back to where to place low income people. You know, some people are low income because they can't work because of medical conditions. So these people should always be dumped in the worst ghetto, because some stuck up snob who needs to be beaten and slapped can't stand the idea of a poor person in the neighborhood? **** people who think like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City