Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 06:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
You certainly don't even have an idea of what's going in your own city, in areas like Brownsville (where by the way 93 out of 100 residents were stopped in 2009, for no justified reason, and with only a very small minority of stops leading to actual arrests).
To nitpick, I seriously doubt that 93 out of 100 residents were stopped even in Brownsville. More likely there were 93 stops per 100 residents in 2009. Some residents got stopped multiple times, increasing the figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 06:17 PM

211 posts, read 519,135 times
Ever since the method has been used though crime has been on the decline, it must be doing SOMETHING beneficial for the city, don't ya think? It may be unethical and immoral though, I agree and it isn't right to racially-profile anyone.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:28 PM

259 posts, read 368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Oh so now this Judge Scheindlin is an expert on being a police officer? She has a lot of nerve making assumptions. She hasn't walked the beat one day in her life to go making these sorts of inane conclusions. I wonder what conclusion she would come to about the other 12% or the fact that Blacks commit the most crimes in NYC?
Judge Scheindlin didn't assumptions willy-nilly; she used testimony and statistical data to come to the conclusion as described in her judicial decision.

Quote:
While the Supreme Court has long recognized the right of police officers to
briefly stop and investigate people who are behaving suspiciously, Judge
Scheindlin found that the New York police had overstepped that
authority
. She found that officers were too quick to deem as
suspicious behavior that was perfectly innocent, in effect watering down the
legal standard required for a stop.
“Blacks are likely targeted for
stops based on a lesser degree of objectively founded suspicion than whites,”
she wrote.
She noted that about 88 percent of the stops result in
the police letting the person go without an arrest or ticket, a percentage so
high, she said, that it suggests there was not a credible suspicion to suspect
the person of criminality in the first place.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/13/ny...ules.html?_r=0
Eighty-eight of the stops didn't result in an arrest or a ticket. That means only 12% of the stops resulted in an arrest or a ticket despite all that effort by the police. These stats suggest that this method isn't very effective in deterring crime.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:29 PM

573 posts, read 1,462,107 times
@Harlem resident

Of course every place has its own flavor, personality etc but from NYC to the 93 you go to the hood you witness things and situations that look similar, you talk to the people you hear similar opinions about how its difficult to raise a child and keep him on the good tracks when you have peer pressure, drug dealers on your lobby. Also for a lot of them, the low expectations the people in these parts have in life ("school, this is not for us"), lack of self esteem, high school dropout rates at some crazy level, teen pregnancy, police brutality that leads to distrust from a lot of people in the community etc etc I didn't say everything was the same, there is just some things like the ones I mentioned that I've seen and heard on both sides of the Atlantic.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:34 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
To nitpick, I seriously doubt that 93 out of 100 residents were stopped even in Brownsville. More likely there were 93 stops per 100 residents in 2009. Some residents got stopped multiple times, increasing the figure.
I had the same thought.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:36 PM

19,029 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Even at the height of the crack wars in the 80's and 90's, my neighborhood was pristine and crime free.

I applaud this decision for very selfish reasons (although I do concede that the department waaaay over stretched Terry v. Ohio in recent years).

Old 08-12-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
@Harlem resident

Of course every place has its own flavor, personality etc but from NYC to the 93 you go to the hood you witness things and situations that look similar, you talk to the people you hear similar opinions about how its difficult to raise a child and keep him on the good tracks when you have peer pressure, drug dealers on your lobby. Also for a lot of them, the low expectations the people in these parts have in life ("school, this is not for us"), lack of self esteem, high school dropout rates at some crazy level, teen pregnancy, police brutality that leads to distrust from a lot of people in the community etc etc I didn't say everything was the same, there is just some things like the ones I mentioned that I've seen and heard on both sides of the Atlantic.
Yes, makes one wonder why people exercise such poor control over their own lives.

Hard to understand the leap from "teen pregnancy" to "police brutality."

Old 08-12-2013, 07:07 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But that is still an unbelievably high number of stops/population. People shouldn't be stopped without a particular cause for suspicion in my opinion. The last thing you want to impart to young impressionable people is that you expect them to be criminals (since people often go on to fulfill expectations). Police should be partners with the community not adversaries.

Interesting and effective program in East New York:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/19/ny...from-over.html

Old 08-12-2013, 07:35 PM

The city should put this to a vote in areas with high incidences of gun violence, and only in those areas.

People might be surprised at the results.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:47 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
As a resident of a high-crime area, I honestly am not worried about the actual stop and frisk technique. I've actually been stopped and frisked on my own block twice since I've lived on this block (both in the same year). I had nothing to worry about because I didn't do anything wrong; I go to work and I'm not a criminal. Only thing I was guilty of was going to buy cigarettes late at night and unfortunately, the only place open at that time of night (this was 2/3 years ago) was a known drug spot where dudes used to openly sell in front of the store. So I guess the cops saw me coming back from that direction and stopped me thinking I had drugs on me. Since then, I've stopped smoking cigarettes (switched to e-cigs) so I really don't have a reason to go there at night anymore. What's even better, the guys don't sell outside that store anymore, so I guess the heavy policing worked.

What I am afraid of is if some corrupt cop wants to plant drugs on me or something in order to get a promotion, how can we ensure that doesn't happen to somebody some day?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City