Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 AM

35 posts, read 84,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
You did not "fall on hard times." This is a category for people who lose jobs through no fault of their own, experience catastrophic illness, are victims of war or crime or natural disasters ... and so on.

You either exercised very poor judgment or, as your buddy above points out, know what you are doing and intend to end up with your own apartment in the end.
SMH...all I do is ask for is some advice and people like you decide to be rude. You have NO idea what my living situation is and how many physical confrontations I been in around here. Stop wasting your time with being judgmental because you are not helping. I'm not sitting around on my ass all day. I'm working and going to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 AM

21 posts, read 30,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Or, you could do the research yourself. Everyone knows about the shelters here.

I am now thinking that this is one of these out-of-state people, testing the waters and planning a move. North Carolina ?
Has to be. Anyone local would know the reputation the shelters have here.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:08 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Nydude bro when you don't have the luxory to argue, you just shut up and compromise. Arguing invovles two parties. If i had other means, i could argue the head off my super but i cannot because like the job and need it for my survival.

if you cannot handle your close relatives at home you will not survive the sherter living from what i heard.
I've known plenty of people who got apartments from spending time in the shelter system, which is what the OP wants. So I gave the numbers of non profit organizations that would be able to advise her on how to do that.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:08 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

I think, though, that the OP could perhaps put her studies on hold and maybe find work as a nurse's aide or something so that she can move to a better area. Or better yet, maybe consider relocation to a place with lower COL and continue college there.
Exactly. That would be the responsible decision, and she does not need advice for that.

However, I do now think that this is an out-of-state person.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:09 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithrose View Post
I'm not planning to stay on government assistance for long. Seems like you didn't read the part where I said I was majoring in Registered Nursing...entering my SENIOR year SMH In case you didn't know Registered Nursing starts off around $80,000 and higher
I hope you're not as snarky when looking for assistance.

I did read your post and if you have someone to care for your child so you can get your education completed on time then I wish you well in getting off assistance. I have family members who are in the medical and nursing field and I can tell you that you do not start earing that salary right out of school. It depends on what field or department and sometimes $80k is the highest.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:09 AM

21 posts, read 30,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
When did she say she wanted to RAISE a BABY in the WOMEN's shelter? She wanted to stay at one temporarily until she could get her own place.
Quote:
I'm deciding to do the shelter thing because I'm at the point where I need a calm place where I can properly care for my child.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlincolnpark View Post
Has to be. Anyone local would know the reputation the shelters have here.
Exactly, and how to look for things.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithrose View Post
I'm not sitting around on my ass all day. I'm working and going to school.
Really ? Which school, exactly ?

Old 08-13-2013, 10:12 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
This is retarded. Im laughing at everyone's post like if its their own problem. Nobody is not providing real input including myself in giving advice to the op.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:13 AM

5,114 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
All right, upon reading the subsequent posts, I can understand the umbrage. Her choice of words can elicit that type of reaction. She wants a ticket out for her child, but all of this comes at a cost. I get that.

That being said, I think it needs to be a two way street. I wouldn't turn my back on assisting someone like her, mainly because she is trying to "get out" and is showing obvious desire to better herself. She obviously comes from a lower income household that is obviously that unbearable that she'd rather turn to a shelter. These are the types of people I can see myself supporting because I think that something will come out of it and she will not milk the system for life. I see far too many less focused women who think that the world should provide for them simply because they have children. This case, though similar in some regards, is different.

Adoption and abortion are two very serious decisions that have a big impact on a woman's life and shouldn't be taken lightly. This woman has chosen to keep her child, and that is her right. Like I said, I am pro-choice, so I support abortion. At the same time, I am completely pro choice, which means that I support the woman that decides she wants to choose life. Perhaps being a mother will improve her life, perhaps on an emotional level? I've read many instances where there is a struggle, but the urge to provide for the child only made the mother stronger.

I think, though, that the OP could perhaps put her studies on hold and maybe find work as a nurse's aide or something so that she can move to a better area. Or better yet, maybe consider relocation to a place with lower COL and continue college there.

And sorry, I don't believe that unplanned pregnancy is cultural. I think it is more socio-economical, especially when it comes to acceptance.

insome asian and islamic ultures sex before marriage is a shame or sin....it has its own issues but would certainly have eliminated such epidemic situations here i. america. so it is strongly a cultural thing. too easy going on the pleasure seeking desire...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City