Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 08:18 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times

Advertisements

Follow them at night but remember, when they stop walking you stop too.
When they turn around try to duck behind something.

They secretly LOVE that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 08:20 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco_Kid View Post
Hello everyone,

I am 30 years old and currently live in Hoboken, NJ. I work in the financial district NYC. I'm over the party scene and clubbing etc. I was never really a drinker because I have almost 0 tolerance against that. I wonder where and how would be a perfect way to approach women around the city. They usually don't even make eye contact because they all seem like they're running late somewhere.

I think it would be nice to meet a nice decent girl who has similar likes. We can go walk around Manhattan and sit in the parks. Do things we haven't done previously. Hoboken is sucha party town where everyone is usually walking drunk after 9pm on a weekend. Um so back to meeting women in NYC. Any spots? Any tips? Any good way to approach them?

Any input would help

Have a nice day/night!!!

Meetup.com has a lot of singles themed events.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:22 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
/\/\

Here's another strategy you can do in parallel - When your lease is up, move to a suburban neighborhood. Every day you commute by train to Manhattan (MNR, LIRR), wear business attire (sports jacket, dress pants, button down shirt) and carry with you and read or pretend to be reading the Wall St. Journal. In other words, look and behave like an Exec/Director while commuting. I've been approached on the train and station not a few times (maybe 10% of the time) under these same conditions. You can also be a little more aggressive and intentionally sit on the same seat with an attractive commuter and initiate something like asking for the time or if it is an express train.

Presumably you graduated from college and have a stable FT corporate job so that should be an asset.
You can never go wrong with sports jacket, button down shirt and a diamond slant wedding band in 14 K gold. The Richard Gere style. And Wall Street Journal is the Dictionary of Love.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:46 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
How about you guys try speed dating?

Just be yourself.

If you're not a dog lover then I can't see that helping, poor dog. I think there's a service now where you can rent a dog for these purposes. So I guess you'll have to end up lying about why the dog isn't with you anymore if you begin a relationship with one of these women or lie from the start saying it's a friend's/relative's dog. What a way to start a relationship.

Men, oh brother.

Can't live without them and can't murder them either. lol

Old 08-14-2013, 07:52 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
How about you guys try speed dating?

Just be yourself.

If you're not a dog lover then I can't see that helping, poor dog. I think there's a service now where you can rent a dog for these purposes. So I guess you'll have to end up lying about why the dog isn't with you anymore if you begin a relationship with one of these women or lie from the start saying it's a friend's/relative's dog. What a way to start a relationship.

Men, oh brother.

Can't live without them and can't murder them either. lol
To make it more dramatic say someone stole my dog!

Old 08-14-2013, 08:28 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
To make it more dramatic say someone stole my dog!
I guess. lol

Old 08-14-2013, 10:14 PM

20 posts, read 52,964 times
1-Liners That Just Might Work |

maybe this will help

Old 08-15-2013, 07:55 AM

171 posts, read 305,145 times
some of these responses are pure gold...pretending to be someone your not? classic.
no wonder some guys have such a hard time.
just be yourself, you will meet the right one or at least have fun meeting a few 'not so right ones' along the way.
one thing a lot of girls in this town love are men without an aversion to getting a little dirty, read: not a metro-sexual hipster type.
if you can pull off the rugged yet dapper working man look without looking like you spent a month of paychecks to make it happen your gold.
smile, but not too much or you look like a used car salesman.
engage them in genuine conversation, whatever the topic may be.
ask them about THEM and talk about THEIR interests, and be sincere or it doesn't count.
carry yourself with confidence, shoulders back, head up, remember that first impressions and body language matter.
most importantly, don't try too hard.
it's EASY as hell to meet women here but as with all things your mileage may vary.

good luck

Old 08-15-2013, 12:54 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
OP's problem right now is how to make contact and not yet how to take a relationship to the next stage, at which point one's character and conversational skills becomes more important. Right now, he is being turned away before he can utter a single word.

Let's face it. Women in NYC are judgmental of male strangers as are all people of other strangers for that matter. The ones he is targeting are looking for evidence of average attractiveness, responsibility, emotional/financial stability and potential for success on the surface (which is frequently an indicator of reality). "Just be yourself" does not cut it out if his natural tendency is to project himself as someone who is of average potential or in some cases, sloppy.

Just as one must dress and act for the job he wants, so too must one do for the woman he wants.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 08-15-2013 at 01:02 PM..

Old 08-15-2013, 02:54 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,314 times
Get involved with some volunteer activity or group of people with common interests. And, if you're religiously inclined, church and related activities might be a good idea.

The WORST place to meet women is in a bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City