Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 01:42 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigisome View Post
I thought of Nycha these are my options:

Development Name
344 E. 28TH ST. - Manhattan
AMSTERDAM ADDITION - Manhattan
BAYCHESTER - Bronx
BOULEVARD - Brooklyn
BUSHWICK - Brooklyn
CASTLE HILL - Bronx
DREW HAMILTON - Manhattan
FREDERICK E. SAMUEL APTS -Manhattan
INDEPENDENCE TOWERS -Brooklyn
LINDEN -Brooklyn
MANHATTANVILLE -Manhattan
MARBLE HILL -Bronx
MARLBORO -Brooklyn
RUTGERS -Manhattan
WISE TOWERS -Manhattan

And after looking through my options, i got on here and seen most of these places are not a good place to live. I hear most of them are not far from eachother, I also read that some are good but wasnt sure if it was still something i should risk, I know you dont have to pay utilities which is great! but the kiddies need to be in a safer place. Its crime everywhere but the Projects whoo, something i must really really think about, in the 90's i lived on 115 and lenox, right across from the pojects, them kids were bad as hell lol

I also thought about relocating to another state but new york is all i know, Im not afraid to go or anything like that, I have many options here to better myself, .. Im in acting classes 3x a week and its located in 34 and 8ave, I also model but its freelance work for the time being till i can promote myself more. There is no place like Manhattan/Harlem
I would move to a different state rather than house my child in the projects.

That aside, I can say that the Manhattanvile area is in the midst of the Columbia building program and will therefore change tremendously. If "Amsterdam addition" means the Grant Houses - same, if not as immediate.

They are giving priority to people who are working full time, or perhaps you MUST be working full time.

The kids are vastly worse now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 05:24 AM

10 posts, read 35,931 times
Hello all, Yes i been searching and all i can find are upper Manhattan section 8 participating landlords, but i want Harlem haha, im not choosy i just want to be near all, but i will go upper if i must.

I had my section 8 voucher since 2001, I dont know if its popular nowadays but my sister who lives in a nycha building said she recently (couple years back) had the opportunity of filling out an application for section 8, Im not sure how that went/goes but she said she is on the list. she has 5 kids and living in a one bedroom, she been waiting for a transfer for years now to get a bigger nycha apt but she said its useless. she had all her kids while living there, i hope she can move to a bigger place. Im also thinking bout headed west to cali. really really thinkin hard bout it. I may have to make a thread to ask how it is to relocate out there and the job opportunities there as well.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:28 AM

Thank you Harlem Resident truly appreciate it

Old 08-18-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Hello all, Yes i been searching and all i can find are upper Manhattan section 8 participating landlords, but i want Harlem haha, im not choosy i just want to be near all, but i will go upper if i must.

I had my section 8 voucher since 2001, I dont know if its popular nowadays but my sister who lives in a nycha building said she recently (couple years back) had the opportunity of filling out an application for section 8, Im not sure how that went/goes but she said she is on the list. she has 5 kids and living in a one bedroom, she been waiting for a transfer for years now to get a bigger nycha apt but she said its useless. she had all her kids while living there, i hope she can move to a bigger place. Im also thinking bout headed west to cali. really really thinkin hard bout it. I may have to make a thread to ask how it is to relocate out there and the job opportunities there as well.
Why did she choose to give birth to five children while living in a one-bedroom apartment.

You would also need to explain why she is entitled to a bigger apartment, given that this was her own deliberate choice.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:06 AM

Hello, yes it was her own choice but i can tell you she would of had more than 5 five, if you get what im saying. But thats her i dont know why she chose that path for herself i do hope the best for her and the innocent children, life is what it is, cant go back can only live each day to survive to the next.

She is entitled to a bigger apt cause they said she was, she was called into the office and required to fill out for another building for a 3 bedrm. when they told her this she couldnt wait, her application been there for years now for a bigger bedroom apt but yet she is still there. If they didnt tell her she eligible for a bigger place, I wouldnt have to hear her complaining all the time lol about how she still there, I have 1 child of my own but i take care of my cousin

Kids is not a joke, I feel most have many for the wrong reasons if for any reason at all. I cant do it, I cant afford it, I wouldnt want to put my lil ones through poverty, its just not right but i am not one to judge. I just know i need a life too

Old 08-20-2013, 03:42 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,200 times
Quote:
Hello, yes it was her own choice but i can tell you she would of had more than 5 five, if you get what im saying. But thats her i dont know why she chose that path for herself i do hope the best for her and the innocent children, life is what it is, cant go back can only live each day to survive to the next.

She is entitled to a bigger apt cause they said she was, she was called into the office and required to fill out for another building for a 3 bedrm. when they told her this she couldnt wait, her application been there for years now for a bigger bedroom apt but yet she is still there. If they didnt tell her she eligible for a bigger place, I wouldnt have to hear her complaining all the time lol about how she still there, I have 1 child of my own but i take care of my cousin

Kids is not a joke, I feel most have many for the wrong reasons if for any reason at all. I cant do it, I cant afford it, I wouldnt want to put my lil ones through poverty, its just not right but i am not one to judge. I just know i need a life too

I would suggest you not go to California, many cities in California are almost as expensive as New York plus you'll need transportation since it's not as extensive as here so your costs goes up exponentially.

Since you're willing to locate I would suggest moving to a smaller city with low(er) crime rates than New York. You'll also find many times Section 8 is easier to obtain and have nicer living options.

For instance, I'm from the mid-west Cincinnati, Ohio, the crime rate is lower and you don't have to contend with fighting off gangs as much as you would here. The public school system is better than New York's. In certain areas surrounding Cincinnati they had open or instant acceptance for Section 8 vouchers. Now this was years ago before the crap hit the fan with the economy but you could call around to find out if this is still happening. I know you said you already have a voucher so you can take it anywhere here in the Continental US. Look into the job market in the area you choose, go visit to see if you like the city. See what the average pay is like and if it's enough without assistance to pay.

The good thing with smaller cities is the rents tend to be lower but the bad thing pay is also lower. Try to find major companies in the city you choose to seek employment. Your own transportation would also be needed in most cases unless you live within city limits on bus lines but it tends to be limited service. Get used to waiting for buses either 30 minutes to an hour. No more only waiting 5 or 10 minutes for NY type transportation. lol That's why most people in the mid-west have to have their own transportation if they aren't dirt poor.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Kids is not a joke, I feel most have many for the wrong reasons if for any reason at all.
I completely agree and many wealthy people do this as well.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:07 PM

151 posts, read 404,860 times
I cannot tell you people how much it BOILS MY BLOOD that this girl is on here complaining about a 1500/month NYCHA apartment when I, a 60 hour a week hardworking person, struggles to pay rent at 1100/month.

But I guess this is "equality" to Democrats. It sure as hell isn't "equality from working."

I guess when you take away from those who work, and give luxury amentities to those who do not work, thats EQUALITY. What a slap in the face to people like me.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:10 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
I cannot tell you people how much it BOILS MY BLOOD that this girl is on here complaining about a 1500/month NYCHA apartment when I, a 60 hour a week hardworking person, struggles to pay rent at 1100/month.

But I guess this is "equality" to Democrats. It sure as hell isn't "equality from working."

I guess when you take away from those who work, and give luxury amentities to those who do not work, thats EQUALITY. What a slap in the face to people like me.

Jay, I wish you didn't look at it that way. It may seem like someone depending on the government w/ 5 children is living the life but they are not. The government has control over a lot they do.

I agree there should be more personal responsibility but what are we going to do? Be like China and tell people they can only have 1-2 children? Start sterilizing those who get out of control with having babies?

Someone living off the system is basically struggling, unless they are doing something illegal by earning money on the side there's no cable, cars in a lot of cases, owning houses or anything of worth. Personally I never liked having the government all up in my business and preferred to work without constraints but here I am disabled (I strive to go back to work soon but that's neither here or there to this post, I'm just saying this isn't the lifestyle I set out). I never wanted to make life harder by having a bunch of children I couldn't afford so I made sure I didn't (I have one son).

But to think people like this have it easier than you do is ridiculous. You have your self respect knowing you pay your own way. You're not struggling to feed and care for 5 children, you're not living around (I assume) Pookie next door that has mental problems being in a gang holding a gun and robbing anyone he sees. Your LL is not likely to let Pookie rent an apartment in your building so you're most likely to some extent removed from encountering Pookie. You probably are not living in sub-standard conditions or powerless because of your station in life. I could go on and on but the picture I'm trying to paint is don't think these people are not struggling w/ something in some way and have it easier. Just thank God you are able bodied and don't have to live that way.

And just because she wasn't responsible you still can't count her out or her children. There have been plenty born to poor mothers who did their mother proud so although hard the trend can be turned around.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:58 PM

Wow JayJay1980 i truly hope for better days for you. I mean it so very deeply.

When i was working for myself (Health aid) i was making $2000 a month, maybe a bit more at times. Section 8 rebudgets voucher holders when their income changes, they then paid $300 bucks a month for my rent.. that was cool cause i thought i no longer needed the assistance but to them i did. i was very shocked.

I wasnt on Public assistance/foodstamps and most of my medical bills such as dental work and dermatology i took care of myself but they still allowed the kids on Medicaid. Being on a government program is not a good thing... no matter how much they help you, they always take/get that money back during tax season...I always get my first return but never or barley seen much but $757 back from my second returns, its always under a thousand, i cant complain, i wont complain, i owe it, its not all pink elephants and roses as most ppl think.

Even if there wasn't a such thing as government help, Trust' the government would still be tappin in everyone pockets/Paychecks as they did way before our and those we love time.

I been taking care of my patient for 6 years until she moved on to her new life. I miss her sooo much. I love helping others, I put so much time into her...not because of the money but because she needed it. Money comes and goes. but the memories of being where i was needed and the help i was able to give, omg i feel so blessed to just help anyone. I love people.

Just pray God loves you and he knows your pain, he knows you strength and look at you, you're still here making up, Smile, Breath and be thankful cause he's with you Im thankful to you all. stay blessed all and smile its the most easiest thing in the whole wide world to do

Last edited by gigisome; 08-21-2013 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: forgot a word ;)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery