Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 04:20 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,292 times

Advertisements

They have in common only that they are Carribean islands with a large immigrant influx in NYC.

PRs ran NYC in the 70's and 80's and DR had the heaviest immigration in the 90's

This has all slowed down and soon the majority in the uptown, BX , East BK will be DR and Mexican.

And you always see a mexican with like 8 kids ..so there u go .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 01:46 AM

112 posts, read 262,555 times
All the PRs I know go to DR for certain types of "MAGIC" DR is right next to Haiti after all. I adore the DR food over the PR food. I also know that hair salons are A HUGE business for the Dominicans.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:56 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Puerto Rico was independent before the Spanish. It was called Boriken, and was inhabited by indigenous people, many of whom died of disease. However, many escaped to the mountains. There is still a presence of these native people in the culture and it is present in the mtDNA of present-day Puerto Ricans.
Boriken was the indigenous name of the island. I agree, at that time PR was independent. However, those people and their culture no longer exist today. Small pieces do, but not in it's entirety.

On the island, the vast majority of indigenous population was extinct within a short period of time of European exploration. Causes range from a lack of food sustainability to disease. Today, there are no Taino's left. Hasn't been for many generations.

The average DNA percentage of indigenous ancestry among Puerto Ricans taken in samples across the island is between 10-15%. MtDNA only means you had a female ancestor of that makeup at some point down your line. Could be 1 or 100 generations ago. Add in the slave trade or the more significant European immigration and you have a melting pot where most people are overwhelmingly European with little Sub-Saharan African and Indigenous DNA on average. Interestingly enough, many people also have North African, Middle Eastern, Central Asian, East Asian, and various European (beyond Spain) DNA too (from small to larger percentages). A true melting pot.

The culture today is heavily Spanish and American influenced with some Indigenous and African traits. Creating the unique situation that exist on the island.

Last edited by nykiddo718718; 08-23-2013 at 03:21 AM..

Old 08-23-2013, 09:30 AM

163 posts, read 484,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I'm of DR descent so maybe I can put in my few cents. There are a lot of similarities but there are quite a few differences also, most of them oblivious to the average ignorant joe blow. But some of the main differences are as follows:

-We don't talk spanish the same way. PR have a more sing-songy way of talking. A "cantao". Both PR and DR spanish have unique words.

-The food is a little different. Mainly in the seasoning. PR food is more garlicky IMO. DR emphasizes the plantain a bit more.

-Demographically both heavily feature a mix of Amerindian, African, and European. I would say in DR the African % is heavier.

-People from PR come to US as citizens, PR is a commonwealth not a country so there are quite a few differences culturally that play themselves out here in the U.S because of this.

-PR community in NYC has been here longer than DR community.

There are a few more but to me those are the main differences.
Yes, we don't talk Spanish the same, but then again in Dominican Republic itself there are places that you think you're in another island cause they talk so differently. For example people from the country are cibaeno and talk way differently from people from the city (capital).

I remember when I was growing up in the 80s it was like Dominicans and Puerto Ricans didn't see eye to eye. I'm from Dominican descent and I always remember hearing my family members say how lazy they all were with bad habits as a little girl you hear this and think it's true...thankfully I grew up and socialized with different nationalities and learned this was just a stereotype..

I have many Puerto Rican friends, I see how we are both outgoing and party people.. there is though a language barrier cause Puerto Ricans speak the English language and many Dominicans don't speak English which makes it difficult for Dominicans to find better jobs because of this..

Old 08-23-2013, 03:31 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,855 times
Paul Mooney Breaks it down...

Paul Mooney educating Afro-Latinos on their race - YouTube

Old 08-23-2013, 05:06 PM

268 posts, read 340,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
Now that was funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City